Which network AV receiver to buy?

ar7

Hi all,

I am looking for a receiver that allows me to:

1. Play 5.1 in my bedroom
  2. Play stereo in my bathroom as second zone independently as well as simultaneously
  3. Play music from Macbook
  4. Control the receiver from bathroom (there is wall between bathroom and amp)

Above functionality is a must. I will primarily use it for music in bedroom with KEF Q300 and don't care much for the home theater quality.

Any suggestions on what to get? Budget I can go to 1L.

Based on my research I could find 2 solutions:

1. Get NAD T748 which has high reputation for sound quality. Connect Apple TV to DAC and DAC to NAD. Why the DAC? Because the NAD can't play digital input from Apple TV in the second zone, only analog is supported in second zone. I already have Apple TV and DAC so these won't cost me but there will be extra cable clutter :sad:
  2. Get something like Denon AVR-X1100W which has built-in Airplay and supports it for both zones. It also has iPhone remote to control receiver from bathroom :eek:hyeah:

Will the sound difference be huge between these given that my speakers are decent but not exactly top end? Should I go with Denon?

I have ruled out Marantz as they don't support Airplay in second zone, while Cambridge Audio doesn't have anything suitable.

Thanks!

I am not sure about the NAD but I've been using a A/V receiver from quite a long time and it has served both my purposes, listening to music as well as watching movies.

The current Denon series are capable of doing Bluetooth, wifi, dlna as well as airplay without any hiccups. The sound quality is very good both for music as well as movies as compared to other known AVRs in the market.

The Denon can serve your purpose out of the box but it is always better that you audition them and others first before you make a purchase. It all ends on personal preference and choice. I started with x2100w then the next x3100w and then finally the x4100w was what I liked in terms of audio quality.

Problem with audition is that no dealer I found in Delhi has both of these receivers for audition. Auditioning at different dealers is pretty pointless since the room acoustics make far more difference than the equipment (unless equipment is very different in capability).

yes,dlna as well as airplay without any hiccups. The sound quality is very good both for music as well as movies as compared to other known AVRs in the market.thanks
fET20k

Back