Which NOS tube 6sn7

amit11

Hi Friends,

I thought of changing the default chinese tubes which came with Yaqin CD3.
Now I have got few NOS tubes (4 sets) to audition. After doing multiple listening sessions over the last week, my near conclusion is that I still prefer the chinese tube.

When I had first changed the tube to Sylvani 6SN7, i admit that I was impressed. Soundstage was wider, refined and silky highs etc. So I was obviously inclined to finalize it.

I may be wrong, but somehow yesterday evening when I switched back to the chinese tube, I found a naturalness which is more satisfying than the NOS 4 tubes.

Is there something which I might be concluding wrong ?

Regards,
Amit.

I have had experience with NOS tubes - Tungsol, RCA and KenRad including ElectroHarmonix (this was a regular).
Each make brings in its flavor. Go with what you like.
Having extras can be fun if you are okay switching them for change in presentation. Hopefully would help you stay away for the ugradits:) .
KenRad was my choice while Tungsol seemed and all rounder but couldn't find a NOS replacement.

I am reading good reviews about the china brand Shuguang for 6sn7 related tube.

"Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z"

Has anybody used it or any opinion on this?

Regards,
Amit.

I am reading good reviews about the china brand Shuguang for 6sn7 related tube.

"Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z"

Has anybody used it or any opinion on this?

Regards,
Amit.

Had one in my headphone amp - not very reliable. Died in 6 months. I would any day recommend a good NOS Sylvania or Kenrad over these. They are cheaper and sound equally good and last a lot longer.

....... //I may be wrong, but somehow yesterday evening when I switched back to the chinese tube, I found a naturalness which is more satisfying than the NOS 4 tubes //......
Dear Sir
Many years ago I recall reading in AA or AK that some Chinese 6SN7 equivalents are built to a different design parameter. They differ noticeably to western 6SN7 loadlines.

Probably your amp has been designed around those parameters therefore sounding better with the Chinese 6SN7.

Of course its all conjecturing and members who use 6SN7 heavily can comment better.

Thanks & regards
aks

I may be wrong, but somehow yesterday evening when I switched back to the chinese tube, I found a naturalness which is more satisfying than the NOS 4 tubes.

Is there something which I might be concluding wrong ?
I like a brand of Scotch whiskey. My friend likes an American whiskey brand and told me to try it saying it is the "best". I tried the American brand and even though I liked it, my taste buds preferred the brand of Scotch that I used to drink. Guess which one I'm going to stick with? :D

Short answer: No your conclusion is not wrong. It's your ears. Go with what they like best till they tell you they like something better.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back