Which of these is the best bang for buck music system?

adakadavuley

I am planning to have a stereo setup in our living room.

We are not planning to buy a TV, so it will be primarily for music.

I will be streaming hi-res music from my phone or computer via a service like Tidal or Qobuz or local FLAC files. I also want to stream internet radio stations.

Will be listening to most kinds of music - Jazz, Rock, Blues, Western and Indian Classical, Indian Film music. Also electronic music, but not heavy dance or party tracks.

We live in an apartment so can't turn it up too loud.

I have a Chromecast audio. But I also need Airplay. I have an Amazon voucher for 4K INR got for exchanging credit card reward points.

I want to cut costs as much as possible. Due to COVID, my options for auditioning are less. I am currently in Chennai but moving to Pune and want to set it up there.

Based on previous listening experiences, I like a laid back sound with good details and soundstage.

I am open to buying used equipment. This will be my first such setup. I am mostly used to listening through headphones.

Option 1 - Old but "Good"
Speakers - Pioneer SP BS22-LR
Amplifier - Any used Yamaha/Denon/Marantz AV Receiver online or in Flea market with optical inputs
Source - Chromecast Audio and Airport express/Apple TV 3 connected via optical input
Later upgrade - Used Subwoofer
Total - 16k+12K+10k = 38k (including subwoofer)

Option 2 - New, Shiny and More expensive
Speakers - QAcoustics 3020i
Amplifier - Yamaha R-N303 Integrated stereo amplifier
Source - The amplifier supports network playback including Airplay
It is a stereo amplifier without an output for subwoofer but network play options are nice
25+28 = 53K

Other passive speaker options - Polk RTi A1, Wharfedale 220/225
Options I have looked at but not opting for - Micca, Dayton models

Option 3 - Powered monitor
JBL LS305 - 28k
No amp required. Can probably invest is a network player instead. I am not a fan of how this one looks.

Can swap the speaker also. I have not looked at other speaker options but would like to know your opinions and suggestions. I am favoring the first option because it is thrifty and I can invest on cables, add another subwoofer etc if required. I think my sweet spot is 40k. Lesser the better. In general I want to spend more on speakers than the amplifier. Thanks!

With your music choices and the fact that you want rock out very loud since you live in an apartment , I would not purchase a sub. Low freq bass travels a lot further through walls, brick and cement.

You are on the right track wrt spending on the speakers rather than the amp. It affects your sound the most. JBL monitors can be had for 20k used. I would pick them given your requirements for a simple non-messy setup. They tick the boxes of good detail and have an excellent soundstage and image in the price range. Also their in built amps are perfectly matched to the speakers by JBL.

What you did not mention is how close you will be sitting to them and the size and shape of your intended room. These are in many ways far more important factors to decide what to buy.

I will be streaming hi-res music from my phone or computer via a service like Tidal or Qobuz or local FLAC files. I also want to stream internet radio stations.

Will be listening to most kinds of music - Jazz, Rock, Blues, Western and Indian Classical, Indian Film music. Also electronic music, but not heavy dance or party tracks.

I have a Chromecast audio. But I also need Airplay. I have an Amazon voucher for 4K INR got for exchanging credit card reward points.

I want to cut costs as much as possible. Due to COVID, my options for auditioning are less. I am currently in Chennai but moving to Pune and want to set it up there.

Based on previous listening experiences, I like a laid back sound with good details and soundstage.

I am open to buying used equipment. This will be my first such setup. I am mostly used to listening through headphones.

Amplifier - Any used Yamaha/Denon/Marantz AV Receiver online or in Flea market with optical inputs
Source - Chromecast Audio and Airport express/Apple TV 3 connected via optical input

It is a stereo amplifier without an output for subwoofer but network play options are nice
25+28 = 53K

JBL LS305 - 28k
No amp required. Can probably invest is a network player instead. I am not a fan of how this one looks.

Can swap the speaker also. I have not looked at other speaker options but would like to know your opinions and suggestions. I am favoring the first option because it is thrifty and I can invest on cables, add another subwoofer etc if required. I think my sweet spot is 40k. Lesser the better. In general I want to spend more on speakers than the amplifier. Thanks!

Option 2 fits almost perfectly with your usage case and stretches you budget just a bit. Spend once, spend well. You’d get audiophile speakers (also consider Wharfedale in the same range and go for the signature you like - WD has personality while QA is well-behaved). The Yamaha receiver has all the source options you seek and you don’t really need sub-woofer/surround options. Option 2 clearly is the option you can enjoy musically for a long long time. What you’d save with the other options you could lose in selling when you outgrow them faster. Go for an option you’d feel sure to be happy with for 3-5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

25+28 = 53K

JBL LS305 - 28k

JBL arena 120.
Yamaha amp will be fine

Have a look at this. Amir is quite well known for objective measurement based reviews of audio components. These measurements of the JBL 305 confirm an open secret in audio - if you want flat neutral sound at the lowest cost studio monitors are the best option. They will not deliver on aesthetics and being placed in a living room with attractive veneers, some folks (including me) sometimes enjoy a euphonic and when the mood strikes even a coloured fun sound (this is why I have multiple speaker setups in the house and office lol) but if you want faithfully reproduced music monitors are always a solid high ROI choice.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back