Which oscilloscope to buy

amit11

Hi FMs,

Any pointers to buying oscilloscope? I was searching online on Amazon and found few portable ones. 10 to 20mhz range. Would they suffice for general purpose research.

What's your budget/purpose?
Well, i would say more of hobby and curiosity purpose. :)
Basically to check linearity of power, noise profile of battery, stair step output of NOS dac, audio frequency etc...
Budget 10k - 15, but i think it might be less

Basically to check linearity of power, noise profile of battery, stair step output of NOS dac, audio frequency etc...
An entry-level 50Mhz DSO should suffice since it's primarily for the hobby. Check on Amazon; you should be able to get something within 30k.

I think its a GREAT Idea to buy an oscilloscope, for anyone who knows how to use one.

The wide range of 'tests' that you have mentioned, are not all ideally checked with an oscilloscope.

I would suggest that you get yourself a decent analog (NOT an entry level DSO) o'scope, pre-owned. Lots of Great buys come up from time to time on OLX.

I have bought, a couple of years ago, an Aplab 25 MHz, Dual Trace 'scope (Model 3744) with the attached Aplab's Testlab 3344 Function Generator for Rs 6,000. (see the attached file)

This would be an Ideal all-in-one instrument to get you started on Audio work... I would suggest Pre amp circuits to begin with, moving on to Power Amp testing (once you understand what you are doing, including how you could inadvertently short a Power Amp output by incorrectly connected Ground Leads....

There are some lovely analog Tek 'scopes available occasionally for Rs 10K.

In case you buy a stand alone 'scope, make sure you budget for a decent low distortion oscillator & Function generator (a few thousand rupees), for audio work. The 'scope can do little on its own.

Sadly, the use of an analog 'scope for audio and interpretation of waveforms is little understood, now a days ......

Attachments

• Aplab 3744 - 5 in 1 Testlab.pdf
    146.3 KB · Views: 14
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back