Which Plywood for Speaker Cabinet for Tannoy MG15

Anshul_J

Hi everyone, I need to build a new cabinet for my Tannoy Monitor Gold 15. But a bit confused about the plywood suitable for it. I was thinking of using 18mm Russian Birch Ply, but it is not easy to get and have heard that most birch ply available in India is not genuine and sub-standard. Somebody also suggested to use good quality 25mm hardwood ply, which is more durable, and cost effective. Does birch ply have better acoustic qualities than others? Looking for guidance from experienced members here, like @sadik and others. Thanks.

Hi everyone, I need to build a new cabinet for my Tannoy Monitor Gold 15. But a bit confused about the plywood suitable for it. I was thinking of using 18mm Russian Birch Ply, but it is not easy to get and have heard that most birch ply available in India is not genuine and sub-standard. Somebody also suggested to use good quality 25mm hardwood ply, which is more durable, and cost effective. Does birch ply have better acoustic qualities than others? Looking for guidance from experienced members here, like @sadik and others. Thanks.
Baltic Birch Plywood is OK, but has fallen out of favor lately, due to sonics. A person I would trust as being super experienced is Early Bender- Werth. He runs HiFi Town USA, and I have seen highly INSIGHTFUL posts on " HiFi Haven" written by Early regarding good wood for speaker enclosures. Early's Father was the late Walt Bender, who started Audiomart in the USA in the 1970s.

Another EXPERIENCED person I would trust 100% is Dennis Fraker.

Dennis tells me Marine Grade 1 and 1/18th MAHOGANY plywood is the nicest wood sonically he has ever experienced. Marine grade is voidless.

My FIRST ever new speaker purchase was in 1969, after Graduate school, Tannoy Monitor Golds 15's in Factory GRF enclosures.

I had made enclosures in Birch Ply, Normal Ply (Marine Grade), as well as MDF, I have not tested the same driver in different material enclosures, but if i was suppose to make a Enclosure I would choose Birch Ply over Plywood and MDF.

I have made a 2way Passive Bass Reflex Enclosure with Russian Birch Ply, Its Big around 120 ltr with Proper bracing. It dose has a magical sound. If you get Birch Ply you can go with it.

Hi Sadik !

I agree 100% with your response :

" but if i was suppose to make a Enclosure I would choose Birch Ply over Plywood and MDF. "

But my highly experienced audio mentor, Dennis Fraker, has been most - impressed with Marine Grade Mahogany Plywood, 1 and 1/8th inches thick. Also, with as MINIMAL a bracing as possible.

Dennis' wood-listening experience is WITH the same driver, the most current Great Plains Audio 15 inch "604" duplex, in 10.75 cubic foot MLTL enclosures.

Has anyone besides Dennis and Mr. Ed Edwards ( a highly experienced retired Sound Engineer ) ever HEARD this Mahogany Plywood ??

I think the O.P. asked for a "best - sounding" wood choice suggestion.

Also, go on line and research " Early's " posts on aged / vintage wood use, as a very interesting commentary. Early's enclosure wood experiences we can read on HiFi Haven Forum posts.

Jeff

Last edited:
@drlowmu @sadik Thanks you for your insights. @drlowmu Will look for 'Early's' post on Hifi Haven.
" hifitown " is " Early ". Study entire thread !! URL needed to begin is :

Birch is considered a "tone wood". It will color the sound. Whether that color is to your liking or not is subjective to you.
That said, there are methods to mitigate/minimise that from within the cabinet. On the other hand, if you want your cabinets to not contribute much to the sound you should choose MDF/HDF.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back