Which speaker set up would you vote for?

Which additional placement of speakers excites you with existing 5.1 setup?

• Total voters
After 1 month of testing with front heights & front wides, I changed the speaker position to surround back and played a 7.1 DTS coded blu ray movie. Well, the sound stage and the background sound was phenomenal and now it looks like I would keep it this way going forward :)

Interesting...I guess you have Marantz SR 6009... What surround mode did you use when you tried front wides....

Yes... Try to get the placement right when adding front wides... They are by far the best sound stage expansion i have heard so far... I hope your AVR supports Audyssey DSX surround mode...

If you haven't checked the placement guidelines, here are some links

http://www.blu-raystats.com/NewsLog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/dts_111.jpg

Me too considering placing the speakers in a hemisphere position as shown in images...

Thanks for the pix u sent me , but I had to set it up last night with the available space. did the Audyssey 6 point calibration. My AVR NR828 has the Audyssey DSX surround mode but I had a tough time finding the selector button on my remote. For some time time I was lost and thought the dealer had done a number on me. Thank God I found it on the button marked MOVIE/TV ( I was trying to find it through the button THX which I didnt realize is a dedicated DOLBY ProLogicII button). Anyways set it up and tried out the Spears & Munsil Demonstration DTS Master Audio Blu-Ray. Awesome!!!. I must say the Audyssey DSX has really got it right with sound stage expansion. And the surround has also clicked in pretty well, which was bothering me for some time. I think perhaps I should have tried running the Front Highs earlier with the Audyssey DSX rather than the THX-Dolby Prologic II. So yes a big thumbs up for for Front Wides from me :)

Thanks for the pix u sent me , but I had to set it up last night with the available space. did the Audyssey 6 point calibration. My AVR NR828 has the Audyssey DSX surround mode but I had a tough time finding the selector button on my remote. For some time time I was lost and thought the dealer had done a number on me. Thank God I found it on the button marked MOVIE/TV ( I was trying to find it through the button THX which I didnt realize is a dedicated DOLBY ProLogicII button). Anyways set it up and tried out the Spears & Munsil Demonstration DTS Master Audio Blu-Ray. Awesome!!!. I must say the Audyssey DSX has really got it right with sound stage expansion. And the surround has also clicked in pretty well, which was bothering me for some time. I think perhaps I should have tried running the Front Highs earlier with the Audyssey DSX rather than the THX-Dolby Prologic II. So yes a big thumbs up for for Front Wides from me :)

Yes.. You need to toggle on the movie button to switch to surround modes on Onkyo remote...

When you use front heights, use default surround mode + Dolby PL IIz with Audyssey EQ & Vol engaged.... It will improve your experience....

I have never tried the THX surround mode though....

I noticed with Audyssey DSX, it only puts some of the already played sound from front/center speakers to front wides most of the times. However with Neo X, some of the sound was different from what was playing already on the front/center speakers.

Try these two modes if available to know the difference.

I tested front wides/height & and currently testing surround back with decent Yamaha Satellite speakers. May be because of my interest on surrounds more, I would give surround back first preference followed by front wides and then if available to front heights.

My view only :)

I noticed with Audyssey DSX, it only puts some of the already played sound from front/center speakers to front wides most of the times. However with Neo X, some of the sound was different from what was playing already on the front/center speakers.

Yes... Especially when dialogues are played on left/right speaker, it spills over to front wides when playing with Audyssey DSX mode... When you play the same clip using DTS Neo X Cinema it doesn't spill over...

In my observation, Center channel dialogues are not spilled to front wides...

But this is only during dialogues...Otherwise, it makes the movie watching experience a notch above 5.1 set-up...

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back