which speaker?

you are the only person to say quad is soft even the distributor says otherwise! yet to come to a conclusion nowhere to audition these two. any place you are aware of in chennai, Bangalore i can demo wharf and quad?

I have had both kef and quad driven with same amplification at my home. My experience was based on that. I understand we all listen differently, you have b&w and i find them also toward little bright though not at level of kef. Dont take me wrong, both are excellent speakers. Whatever you decide, my experience says be patient and work on your system slowly one step at a time, it will do wonders.

I have had both kef and quad driven with same amplification at my home. My experience was based on that. I understand we all listen differently, you have b&w and i find them also toward little bright though not at level of kef. Dont take me wrong, both are excellent speakers. Whatever you decide, my experience says be patient and work on your system slowly one step at a time, it will do wonders.
what's the amp?

Oh boy, 4 pages of recommendations. You must be in one confused state.

The only way now to sort out is to Audition with your amp. No other way to really know for sure. No two pairs of ears listen in the same manner, different amps, different cables, different sources, different source content and then the Room itself. All act as Equalizers. Hence you need to take your own ears, own amp, own source, and content to audition to cross out as many variables as possible.

MaSh

The only way now to sort out is to Audition with your amp. No other way to really know for sure. No two pairs of ears listen in the same manner, different amps, different cables, different sources, different source content and then the Room itself. All act as Equalizers. Hence you need to take your own ears, own amp, own source, and content to audition to cross out as many variables as possible.

MaSh

+1

I would fully agree with mash :)

MaSh
started very confused still continuing with the confusion!

started very confused still continuing with the confusion!
Well, well ...
From our telephone conversation last evening and the thread, this is what I gather.
You are trying to solve a logistical problem with buying new speakers; towers.
This will introduce a physics problem which you want to attempt to solve with electronics.

So let's play a bit of poker (long river version). The cards you hold are:
- small room to larger bedroom shift of listening space
- 2 l'il ones at home who are showing all signs of naughty/rowdy behavior
- decade old bookshelves; lovely B&W speakers but maybe it's time for a change
- a tube integrated (Yaqin) that got recently serviced and sounds a bit harsh
- an SS amp (Roksan) that is not able to drive the current speakers; clipping suspected

Your current thinking is (from the deck below).
Let's get sturdy towers that the kids won't accidentally topple.
Place them, maybe close to the wall (9"-12")
Pray to god that front ported speakers work out in the big room.

The answer is, you are taking a big risk. Speakers near walls misbehave.
Some alternate solutions are:
- try out the existing speakers in the larger room
- at least they will tell you something about the larger space
- if they work, maybe get stands or provision a high table

- get new stand-mounts and sturdy stands
- match with existing amps and hope it is a good one
- pull into position when actively listening; push back when not

- same can be attempted with towers
- but, depending on how bulky they are, you risk hernia

- create a table top; high enough to hold the gear; make it child safe
- use passive book shelves; move to edge when listening; move back when not
- or go full active/lifestyle route

Think about these options and narrow down on any one of them (one that you can work with).
Please do some auditioning; don't listen to us. Each one of us have our own crazy views on this and that.
We'll help point you in the "right" direction so that you don't keep making "left" turns only.
Have patience in this game. Take you time; don't rush into a decision.

Cheers,
Raghu

Well, well ...
From our telephone conversation last evening and the thread, this is what I gather.
You are trying to solve a logistical problem with buying new speakers; towers.
This will introduce a physics problem which you want to attempt to solve with electronics.

So let's play a bit of poker (long river version). The cards you hold are:
- small room to larger bedroom shift of listening space
- 2 l'il ones at home who are showing all signs of naughty/rowdy behavior
- decade old bookshelves; lovely B&W speakers but maybe it's time for a change
- a tube integrated (Yaqin) that got recently serviced and sounds a bit harsh
- an SS amp (Roksan) that is not able to drive the current speakers; clipping suspected

Your current thinking is (from the deck below).
Let's get sturdy towers that the kids won't accidentally topple.
Place them, maybe close to the wall (9"-12")
Pray to god that front ported speakers work out in the big room.

The answer is, you are taking a big risk. Speakers near walls misbehave.
Some alternate solutions are:
- try out the existing speakers in the larger room
- at least they will tell you something about the larger space
- if they work, maybe get stands or provision a high table

- get new stand-mounts and sturdy stands
- match with existing amps and hope it is a good one
- pull into position when actively listening; push back when not

- same can be attempted with towers
- but, depending on how bulky they are, you risk hernia

- create a table top; high enough to hold the gear; make it child safe
- use passive book shelves; move to edge when listening; move back when not
- or go full active/lifestyle route

Think about these options and narrow down on any one of them (one that you can work with).
Please do some auditioning; don't listen to us. Each one of us have our own crazy views on this and that.
We'll help point you in the "right" direction so that you don't keep making "left" turns only.
Have patience in this game. Take you time; don't rush into a decision.

Cheers,
Raghu
hahaha very valid suggestions...the hernia part though lol.. yup I am in a pile of confusions. will try all your suggestions by weekend... if i lived in the city most i would have bought something by now but thanks to living away from it I am taking it slow and with all you good people helping me out i am sure i will land with the best setup or who knows maybe start loving my old gear all over again!

Patience and good listening is the key. I am yet to see a system that cant be improved with just patience and careful experimentation with different variables like speaker positioning, cables, room changes to suit ones taste and get satisfaction. Changing hardware should be the last option unless one just hates his equipment ( ofcourse the more you spend better gets the end result)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back