Which speakers and amp for music in a bedroom

harshalbid271

Hi guys!

I'm looking to make my first hifi purchase soon. I originally set myself a budget of 40k, but I can push upto 75k for a killer set up.

I have a 13*10 room. I'm looking for a stereo setup as I'm mostly interested in music. I think i'll prefer bookshelf style speakers considering how I have a smaller room. I listen to a lot of Rock and some Hip-Hop. Some of my favorites are Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Alt-J, The Beatles, Gorillaz.

I auditioned Dali Zensor 1 and Epos K1 today. I think I liked the K1 better but they were 2.5 times the price of Zensor. And both were running on Marantz PM5004 as they were the cheapest amp that they had. So I'm looking to you guys for advise.

I see that Norge is fairly well regarded here. Are they just good for their price, or do they compare well to the more expensive imported amps like the PM5004. What would you guys recommend as a good first pair of amp+speakers for me?

Thanks for reading! Really appreciate any input :)

I have used pm5004 with Q acoustic concept 20 bookshelvs with schitt modi2 dac in the chain as my main source is pc. Combo sounded very good for the price. Will fit very well in ur budget.

for bookshelves look at the wharfedale diamonds, monitor audio bronze and kef q series

Hi,

If this is your first purchase and have a limited budget, it is better you audition personally the stereo packages offered by dealers where possible. If you are open to purchasing pre owned systems, am sure you can get the best in the sales section or hifi ads....trust your ears.....

You need to decide not only speakers and Amp but Speaker stand and a decent DAC (if computer playback) or CD player (if you have lot of CDs).

Some time ago my friend wanted to set up a similar set up. So we went to various places around Gurgaon and Delhi. He is a big time Pink Floyd fan so at every place we listened "Shine on you Crazy Diamond". Of all the speakers we auditioned with PM 5004, Monitor Audio MR2 provided great details.I strongly recommend to give it a audition (You can find it at Denny's Bass N treble (must visit even if you do not buy). Another speaker that appealed (even felt better) to us were Tannoy V (Floor standers and PSB Alpha bookshelf with NAD digital amp with inbuilt DAC (with double the price of PM 5004 and MR2).

Also do not forget the stands as they will decide 30- 40%% of sound quality. Best place to buy it is from Sound Foundation website run by FM Magma. Choose any budget stand of 6-7K.

For DAC you can start with any USB DAC (around 10K) ODAC, Meridian explorer are some good VFM options.

You have to spend time to Audition different set up with same tracks to actually know what you want.

Hope this is little helpful.

P.S. I am not affiliated to any dealers

My room is of the same size as yours.

I have been using the Q Acoustics Concept 20 for almost a year and have listened to many other speakers at its price range and to my ears none came close to what it offers. Clean, refined sound and excellent mid-range.

Recommend you to audition it.

Hi guys!

I'm looking to make my first hifi purchase soon. I originally set myself a budget of 40k, but I can push upto 75k for a killer set up.

I have a 13*10 room. I'm looking for a stereo setup as I'm mostly interested in music. I think i'll prefer bookshelf style speakers considering how I have a smaller room. I listen to a lot of Rock and some Hip-Hop. Some of my favorites are Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Alt-J, The Beatles, Gorillaz.

I auditioned Dali Zensor 1 and Epos K1 today. I think I liked the K1 better but they were 2.5 times the price of Zensor. And both were running on Marantz PM5004 as they were the cheapest amp that they had. So I'm looking to you guys for advise.

I see that Norge is fairly well regarded here. Are they just good for their price, or do they compare well to the more expensive imported amps like the PM5004. What would you guys recommend as a good first pair of amp+speakers for me?

Thanks for reading! Really appreciate any input :)

Hello, Do check out the Yamaha A-S500 amp with Dali Zensor 5. They are floor standers but have a small foot print. Sound and look good too. Have you considered Monitor Audio BS and Cambridge Audio budget amps? Wharfedale Diamond 220 has a lot of rave reviews.

Also think about the Marantz M-Cr603 for 29K on the mart. You get many additional features like DAC, wired networking, CD player etc., along with a 50W amp. Pair it with Wharfedale 220 (23K) or Q Acoustics BS you are good to go. This is just my take. Fully agree with @vtiwari on the QAC 20.

Look around further in the forum, you will find loads of valuable suggestions. Happy hunting, enjoy the journey. Till then cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys! I'll keep all your suggestions in mind.

If anyone has any other ideas do let me know, I'll still going to be following this thread.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back