Which speakers for Sony TA-1055?

ukjeyaraj

Hi All,

I will be getting Sony TA-1055 from a cousin. I can lay my eyes on it in a week probably (when I visit my hometown). Amp belongs to my uncle, and the cousin is not into music, so he is letting it go with me. It was not used for nearly 10 years and I hope it functions. But from what he told, its cosmetically very good. When I googled I found user and service manaul and the following links about the amp

Vintage Audio Bliss: Sony TA-1055 Integrated Stereo Amplifier

Sony TA-1055 - Specifications, Pictures, Reviews, Comparison - Classic Audio

Now I am not sure what kind of speakers I can pair this with? Kindly suggest. I am mostly planning to buy new ones rather than used ones unless its really attractive offer.

I got TA-1055 today. Without wasting much time, went for some speaker hunting. Here are my impressions

Auditioned following speakers with Denon PM-710AE (It was connected at the shop already)

1) Paradigm Monitor - Bright and tiresome
2) Wharfedale 10.1 - Sounded good at almost all frequency. Felt very comforable for listening
3) Q-Acoustics 2010 Anniversary Edition - Almost similar to Wharf, but bit more bright, which gave a good feel but not tiring. Between Wharf and Q-Acoustics, Wharf had much more command at the lower frequency, where Q-Acoustics was more detailed
4) Jamo s426 - Clean sounding. Though it was having more bass than wharf and q-acoustics, bass was lacking the strong punch of wharf and Q-Acoustics

Audition with Sony-TA-1055

1) Paradigm Monitor - Did not listen
2) Wharfedale 10.1 - Completely messed up and sounded very bad.
3) Q-Acoustics 2010 anniversary edition - Sounded pretty good but lower frequency again messed up
4) Jamo S426 - Very sweet to listen and clean sounding. Paired well with the amp than wharf or q-acoustics

Now build wise Wharf 10.1 and Q-Acoustics 2010 were much better comparing to Jamo. Jamo was very light for a floor stander, and the terminals were cheap looking when compared to Wharf and Q-Acoustics.

As of now confused of the choices. Your comments and suggestions will help to choose better.

Hi, if u really like the sound then why hesitate, more so when the jamos are considered excellent value speakers, for HT if i may add,

go back and listen again to be sure and take a bit more variety of music along before finalising. Buy them if you still find them to be best match. If u manage to get better speakers later they can be sold easily or even u can build a good ht package.

You could try the QA 2050i and the new 2020i with the stands.

I think both will be out of my budget.

Hi, if u really like the sound then why hesitate, more so when the jamos are considered excellent value speakers, for HT if i may add,

go back and listen again to be sure and take a bit more variety of music along before finalising. Buy them if you still find them to be best match. If u manage to get better speakers later they can be sold easily or even u can build a good ht package.

I liked Jamo S426 among the three, but thought of checking few more speakers before final call.

Anyone knows where in Mumbai I can audition Sonodyne 2504V3?

Today, I had demo of Sonodyne speakers 2504 and 2605. Here are my impressions

I liked the sound of both and 2605 was much better comparing to 2504. What I did not like was the fit and finish. Drivers placed in the baffle wasnt that seamless. In the rear side of the speaker there is a sheet pasted which is not the same vineer finish like the remaining side of the box. I felt some of our FMs'(like bibin,bijin,magma,sachin,omishra and many others) DIY project has better fit and finish.

Sonodyne 2504 did not make much difference comparing to Jamo s426. Though 2605 was really good, it cant be compared with Jamo as they come at different price points. Price of sonodyne quoted were costlier than hifimart.com discounted price.

Jamo s426 was quoted Rs.17800/- (no bargain made). Sonodyne 2504 is 20800 at hifimart and comes with another 10% offer for HFV members.

You could try the QA 2050i and the new 2020i with the stands.
14.gif

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back