Which subwoofer

Rajpol

So, recently I am having this itch to buy a subwoofer. My wife is also on the same page so that helps as well.

What I have :

A pair of Zensor 3 bookshelfs

Choices:

Here is where I am very confused.

1. BIC America PL 200 II - Good reviews across the web. Looks like a good choice for movies although some complaints around the accuracy and being boomy in case of music

2. Dali E9F or the Dali E12F - Simply because I am so happy with the Dali Zensors. Specs wise does not seem to go so low as some of the other monsters

3. ELAC 3010 - The reviews are average and does not seem to be going either way

4. Paradigm Defiance V12 - This subwoofer again has rave reviews and the company is known for the quality of subwoofers they make

6. SVS PB1000 - The big boy and of course the most expensive of the lot.

Now I know I have mentioned a wide variety of subwoofers and it is confusing but so am I.

What I watch:

Mostly movies and TV series from Netflix, Prime and Hotstar. Also songs from YouTube - a wide variety of genres from songs in my language to electronic, pop songs and regular Bollywood songs. Also, western songs mostly the popular ones. Not too many rock songs though.

Also, very occasionally I play games in my XBOX One.

What I cannot and do not want to do:

I do not want to travel to different stores for a few thousand rupees discount in the middle of covid and all. So, I will probably buy online where I get it at the cheapest price with some discounts. I actually bought the Zensors from Amazon and am pretty happy with the purchase.

Also, no disrespect to anyone but I do not want any Polk or Taga systems

What I prefer:

I love that big bass feel in big budget movies like say the Avengers, Harry Potter Series and all. Also, in music the aam aadmi songs with a bit of dhikchak :p.
I do not claim to have golden ears and am currently pretty happy with the Zensors.

A sub to complement them will be ideal.

Raj

So, recently I am having this itch to buy a subwoofer. My wife is also on the same page so that helps as well.

What I have :

Choices:

1. BIC America PL 200 II - Good reviews across the web. Looks like a good choice for movies although some complaints around the accuracy and being boomy in case of music

2. Dali E9F or the Dali E12F - Simply because I am so happy with the Dali Zensors. Specs wise does not seem to go so low as some of the other monsters

4. Paradigm Defiance V12 - This subwoofer again has rave reviews and the company is known for the quality of subwoofers they make

Now I know I have mentioned a wide variety of subwoofers and it is confusing but so am I.

What I watch:

Mostly movies and TV series from Netflix, Prime and Hotstar. Also songs from YouTube - a wide variety of genres from songs in my language to electronic, pop songs and regular Bollywood songs. Also, western songs mostly the popular ones. Not too many rock songs though.

I do not want to travel to different stores for a few thousand rupees discount in the middle of covid and all. So, I will probably buy online where I get it at the cheapest price with some discounts. I actually bought the Zensors from Amazon and am pretty happy with the purchase.

What I prefer:

I love that big bass feel in big budget movies like say the Avengers, Harry Potter Series and all. Also, in music the aam aadmi songs with a bit of dhikchak :p.
I do not claim to have golden ears and am currently pretty happy with the Zensors.

Raj
The Paradigm Defiance & the PB 1000 are good choices. Paradigm with a 12 inch cone but 120 watts rms, goes down to +- 3db 23 hz, room correction app. SVS PB 1000 with a 10 inch cone & 300 watts rms, digs down to +- 3db 19 hz.
I would suggest to wait for the PB 1000 pro with a 12 inch cone which digs deeper to +-3db 17 hz & is 325 watts rms.
Another option is the REL HT 1003, 10 inch driver & 300 watts rms goes down to +- 6db 24 hz if I am not mistaken.
SVS will dig the deepest among the above. Paradigm sub seems a bit underpowered though. Bass impact depends on your room size too.

Last edited:
Subscribing as my use case is also quite similar.

To share some points from my own personal research:
1. The PB 1000 pro (a newer model of the now-outdated PB1000) will launch in May first week here. Not sure about price.
2. Rhytmik lv12f is also a good option
3. You could also take a look at Velodyne and REL 1003

Thanks the SVS is always high on everyone's recommendation and is very popular. However, that also means the relative price in India is very very high even considering import duties and all. I suppose the pro will be far more expensive and may be too costly a proposition. Ideally if I get anything within 60K I would be happy.

I can spend a bit more but I am not too inclined at this point. The SVS will come around 77k and not too much of a discount is offered.

@Rajpol you didnt mention the room size and budget.
Looks like u r inclining towards ported one.
Also add XTZ spirit 12 inch sub,am using it and quite good for the price with EQ options.
if u can afford pb1000,nothing like it at the budget.
All the Best.

Thanks the SVS is always high on everyone's recommendation and is very popular. However, that also means the relative price in India is very very high even considering import duties and all. I suppose the pro will be far more expensive and may be too costly a proposition. Ideally if I get anything within 60K I would be happy.

I can spend a bit more but I am not too inclined at this point. The SVS will come around 77k and not too much of a discount is offered.
Hi Raj,
This XTZ 12.17 edge, 500 watts rms, goes down to 19 hz, with port tuning & EQ options. This sub may be able to make you happy & is available at a very reasonable price 68k in Chennai in almost new condition from fm Love4sound. If you could mention your room size then that would help.

Last edited:
Hi Raj,
This XTZ 12.17 edge, 500 watts rms, goes down to 19 hz, with port tuning & EQ options. This sub may be able to make you happy & is available at a very reasonable price 68k in Chennai in almost new condition from fm Love4sound. If you could mention your room size then that would help.

Is that a store? Any online website? Although I am almost certain not to buy a used piece for 68K even though it may be pristine.

Goes down to 20, 19, 17, 23 etc etc but at what SPL, how much port noise and distortion ? That's the question.
and that is the second question that I have? Will it make sense to have maybe a Dali E12F or even the Q Acoustic QB 12 which may not go that low but is reputed to have much tighter bass and less distortion

Goes down to 20, 19, 17, 23 etc etc but at what SPL, how much port noise and distortion ? That's the question.
At that XTZ price, the port noise would be perhaps bearable and spl good. Love4sound would be able to help from his experience on the XTZ.
I have the PC 2000 and play at 60% of the volume. Till now have not experienced any port noise with good spl. I am saying this without being a fan of any brand. Its more than enough for my needs since I don't play at reference levels.
Though at ear bleeding levels there should be. I feel that most of the subs at that budget may have varying levels of port noise with varying spl and distortion once the volume is cranked up which one may have to take with a pinch of salt.
The answer would be to experience personally and decide what level is acceptable at your budget.

Last edited:
Is that a store? Any online website? Although I am almost certain not to buy a used piece for 68K even though it may be pristine.
That's an FM on this forum who is selling it. A brand new XTZ sub will cost much more as he has mentioned in his link.

What I have :

Choices:

What I watch:

What I prefer:

Raj
Don't buy online, you will not get good discount. Try offline dealers. For example svs pb1000 online max you can get for around 70k but with offline dealers you can get it for around 62k.

Don't buy online, you will not get good discount. Try offline dealers. For example svs pb1000 online max you can get for around 70k but with offline dealers you can get it for around 62k.
Any good stores you would like to suggest. I am in Bangalore so can visit the ones here

Any good stores you would like to suggest. I am in Bangalore so can visit the ones here
HI ,

1st try listening to urself demo & trust ur ears better than reviews . 2nd there are manufacturers only build subwoofers & concentrate their brand for subs only like SVS , mythemic HSU JTR so on..
Better u try SVS in music ranch & rhythmic from prosnics BANGALORE & see what u like n ear or room prefers tooo. & decide to go for it.
Subs are meant for low frequencies & what u like is most important to understand urself & buy .
As cost r brand is not so important finally end of the day u should be satisfied listening from ur heart & end up judging ur ears better than anything .
small note: not stick to cost as subs is one time investment & best add on sounding advantage u add on to ur HT or stereo listening & happy listening. speaker or subs or one time buy & they dont expire or spoil until u play or maintain them till they can y play for u..
Dont go on reviews just trust ur ears & buys ur best .

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back