Which Turntable is best.

yogitashwer

Hello All, Iam looking for a turntable so that I can enjoy the analog music.
I have shortlisted Rega RP1, Project carbon and Technics sl1200 ofcourse used one. Iam new to the turntable.

If you are a beginner to Vinyl world, consider a budget TT as the first one, till you experience all pros and cons of falling in love with Vinyls. Once you settle down and have also addressed the question of building up vinyl collection, you can then upgrade to a more expensive model. I am using Audio Technica LP120 for last couple of years. With an upgraded Ortofon Red cartridge, I am having good experience with it so far.

Whats your Budget ? Advantage of Rega is that you can keep upgrading step by step and with a rega phono you dont have to worry about synergy

If you have the budget, get the SL1200. It's a classic. It will also hold value should you want to sell it in future for whatever reason. The other two models don't even come close.

The Rega RP1 is a good starter turntable. Its not cheap though.
I would not bother with a Technics SL1200. Finding one is hard and when you do find one, it will be priced so high that it won't make sense.
If you must go direct drive, look at the Denon DP-400.

SL1200 if you can find in good condition. I am lucky to have one. It is with me for more than 10 years and never had any issues.

SL1200 if you can find in good condition. I am lucky to have one. It is with me for more than 10 years and never had any issues.
I am thinking about the SL 1200 also found gud one in Germany with price of rs 55000 and my cousin is there he can bring along with him is it a gud deal in that price.

Is it a plug and play turntable or need some expertise to setup.

Most Turn tables needs setup/calibration and SL1200 is no exception. But If it is used then it will come with setup. But if it is going to come from Germany then mostly, its arm and cartridge etc may not be mounted to be safe in Transport. I would strongly advise proper setup/calibration before use in any case for turntable.

Whats your Budget ? Advantage of Rega is that you can keep upgrading step by step and with a rega phono you dont have to worry about synergy
Iam looking for spending upto 50- 60 thousand. Rega is gud to start it's very simple and neat.

If you are a beginner to Vinyl world, consider a budget TT as the first one, till you experience all pros and cons of falling in love with Vinyls. Once you settle down and have also addressed the question of building up vinyl collection, you can then upgrade to a more expensive model. I am using Audio Technica LP120 for last couple of years. With an upgraded Ortofon Red cartridge, I am having good experience with it so far.
Thanks a lot sir for gud suggestion. As I am new to vinyl I have to collect gud records also, I will update once I got my tt.

I have a technics 1210 in very good condition which am considering selling... love it ... works flawlessly and now upgrading to the newest SL1210GAE 55th anniv edition version...

The 1200/1210 is a workhorse and I for one like it better than MOST super expensive Belt Drives.... no maitanence, no non-sense...

If budget permits get the SL 1200 over fragile entry level turntables. The SL 1200 is a great investment for a beginner.

I forgot to add. For Technics SL1200 money, you can get a brand new Pioneer PLX-1000 or the cheaper PLX-500. The former might be over kill for a beginner turntable. I can say that its the last turntable you'll ever have to buy. Comes with high praise in the DJ circle and critics in the audio world. Does not come with a cartridge so budget an extra 15,000 for that.

You must check out Malvai's 1200s. Saves the hassle of international transit and damage. Plus, its coming from Malvai's stable !

I am a huge fan of the twelve hundreds and as many have pointed out, the 1200 is legendary and a no nonsense player. Closest you can get to a plug and play turntable. Loads of reviews here on the forum to refer as well.

Last edited:
Iam looking for spending upto 50- 60 thousand. Rega is gud to start it's very simple and neat.
Rega is good, but it is like computers from apple, very much incompatible with most products, other than apple. If you get a Rega, you will face similar problems, any modification/ upgradation you do, it has to be Rega made. Also Rega TTs run a bit faster.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back