Which TV to buy within 1 lakh budget

curious

Friends,

This forum provided me guidance in buying a suitable TV about 7 years ago. Again, a big thank you for your help then. It's time for me to replace that TV with a new TV.

Please guide me buying a good TV within my budget of Rs 1 Lac max.

A bit of history:
We had bought a Samsung Plasma TV PS51E550 about 7 years ago with the guidance of this forum's knowledgable members. The TV worked fine for about 5 years then it started developing colored vertical lines. The lines have been increasing and now have reached to the point that we cannot ignore them anymore. The Samsung service engineer had a look at the problem and concluded that the panel needs replacement. However, the replacement panel is not available as Samsung have exited the plasma segment a long ago. So it's time for us to buy a new TV.

As before, I'm looking for your guidance in buying the right TV. My main criterias are:
  1. 4K resolution with reasonably good picture quality.
  2. Reliability. I know, it's unpredictable. I was hoping that our plasma TV would last 10 years and it did not. I would like to go with a reliable technology and brand to reduce a chance of forced upgrade.
  3. Wide viewing angle. The TV should have a reasonably wide viewing angle.
  4. Adequate sound quality for watching regular TV programs. I've a home theatre setup for watching movies in Dolby Digital/DTS.
  5. TV Size. At least 55 inch. Would like to upgrade to 65 inch as the distance between TV and our normal viewing place is about 14 feet. Our existing 51 inch TV had started appearing rather small.
  6. Dual band Wifi with smart TV features.
  7. 3D. It seems no one is interested in 3D TVs these days. Even we did not use the 3D feature of our existing TV that much. So it's a nice to have feature for me.

As with most of the other forum members who are researching on which TV to buy I've these options:
  • OLED: Coming from plasma TV background, this is a natural choice for me. I hope I can get LG 55C8 or 55B8 within my budget around Diwali. However, I'm worried about reliability. From my plasma TV experience, I know how to take care of the panel to reduce chances of burn in. However, I would like to know, is burn-in a bigger or smaller problem with OLED TVs compared to plasma TVs. In general, how reliable are these TVs based on a short history of consumer OLED TVs.
  • LCD: I guess, LCDs, being the most mature technology, are the most reliable. However it's a compromise when it comes to picture quality. Within LCD, is IPS or VA panel better. I heard, IPS have better viewing angle with less contrast and VA panels have better contrast with reduced viewing angle. Which one is better for about 120 degrees viewing angle. Back light bleeding is another factor I'm worried about.
  • Projector: I thought about buying a projector. However, don't want to go through hassles of cabling and lamp changes for regular projectors and Laser UST projectors with ALR screen are way out of my budget. Also, I think, projectors are not suitable for living room setups.

I'm not in a hurry to buy a TV and can wait for Diwali offers. Please guide me on which all TV models should I have on my watchlist? Also please mention any other point that I may have missed.

Thank your for your time.

Friends,

This forum provided me guidance in buying a suitable TV about 7 years ago. Again, a big thank you for your help then. It's time for me to replace that TV with a new TV.

Please guide me buying a good TV within my budget of Rs 1 Lac max.

A bit of history:
We had bought a Samsung Plasma TV PS51E550 about 7 years ago with the guidance of this forum's knowledgable members. The TV worked fine for about 5 years then it started developing colored vertical lines. The lines have been increasing and now have reached to the point that we cannot ignore them anymore. The Samsung service engineer had a look at the problem and concluded that the panel needs replacement. However, the replacement panel is not available as Samsung have exited the plasma segment a long ago. So it's time for us to buy a new TV.

As before, I'm looking for your guidance in buying the right TV. My main criterias are:
  1. 4K resolution with reasonably good picture quality.
  2. Reliability. I know, it's unpredictable. I was hoping that our plasma TV would last 10 years and it did not. I would like to go with a reliable technology and brand to reduce a chance of forced upgrade.
  3. Wide viewing angle. The TV should have a reasonably wide viewing angle.
  4. Adequate sound quality for watching regular TV programs. I've a home theatre setup for watching movies in Dolby Digital/DTS.
  5. TV Size. At least 55 inch. Would like to upgrade to 65 inch as the distance between TV and our normal viewing place is about 14 feet. Our existing 51 inch TV had started appearing rather small.
  6. Dual band Wifi with smart TV features.
  7. 3D. It seems no one is interested in 3D TVs these days. Even we did not use the 3D feature of our existing TV that much. So it's a nice to have feature for me.

As with most of the other forum members who are researching on which TV to buy I've these options:
  • OLED: Coming from plasma TV background, this is a natural choice for me. I hope I can get LG 55C8 or 55B8 within my budget around Diwali. However, I'm worried about reliability. From my plasma TV experience, I know how to take care of the panel to reduce chances of burn in. However, I would like to know, is burn-in a bigger or smaller problem with OLED TVs compared to plasma TVs. In general, how reliable are these TVs based on a short history of consumer OLED TVs.
  • LCD: I guess, LCDs, being the most mature technology, are the most reliable. However it's a compromise when it comes to picture quality. Within LCD, is IPS or VA panel better. I heard, IPS have better viewing angle with less contrast and VA panels have better contrast with reduced viewing angle. Which one is better for about 120 degrees viewing angle. Back light bleeding is another factor I'm worried about.
  • Projector: I thought about buying a projector. However, don't want to go through hassles of cabling and lamp changes for regular projectors and Laser UST projectors with ALR screen are way out of my budget. Also, I think, projectors are not suitable for living room setups.

I'm not in a hurry to buy a TV and can wait for Diwali offers. Please guide me on which all TV models should I have on my watchlist? Also please mention any other point that I may have missed.

Thank your for your time.
Remove 3d out of your choice since all manufacturers have stopped producing 3d televisions.

I have been quite happy with the reliability of Panasonic TVs. The last two sets of mine have been Panasonic - a CRT that served us over 12 years and eventually donated in good working condition
- plasma bought 7 years ago and still enjoying despite heavy usage. Just one vertical line developed (first detected a year ago) which is not noticeable during regular viewing.

Another aspect I liked about both the Panasonic TVs, and also formed a factor in buying them was their sound. Even with the Plasma I’ve never felt the need to add a sound bar in a large living room. It’s clear and loud.

I hope Panasonic have continued these aspects into their LED and OLED TVs too.

If you found the reliability of one Korean manufacturer (Samsung) poor, do think twice before going for another (LG). Unfortunately there aren’t any European TV brands retailed in India. Of the Japanese, I compared the Sony options while making the previous purchases - but was always repulsed by their heavy marketing and tendency to stuff their product with too many features - almost as if they weren’t clear which would sell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. 3D is not must to have feature for us. So it's not going to be a deciding factor.
Hahaha for me it is a must have and that is the only reason i haven't upgraded to a 4K TV. Sadly all manufacturers stopped the production of 3d Tv's

I have been quite happy with the reliability of Panasonic TVs. The last two sets of mine have been Panasonic - a CRT that served us over 12 years and eventually donated in good working condition
- plasma bought 7 years ago and still enjoying despite heavy usage. Just one vertical line developed (first detected a year ago) which is not noticeable during regular viewing.

Another aspect I liked about both the Panasonic TVs, and also formed a factor in buying them was their sound. Even with the Plasma I’ve never felt the need to add a sound bar in a large living room. It’s clear and loud.

I hope Panasonic have continued these aspects into their LED and OLED TVs too.

If you found the reliability of one Korean manufacturer (Samsung) poor, do think twice before going for another (LG). Unfortunately there aren’t any European TV brands retailed in India. Of the Japanese, I compared the Sony options while making the previous purchases - but was always repulsed by their heavy marketing and tendency to stuff their product with too many features - almost as if they weren’t clear which would sell.
Good point Sachin. I've Panasonic GX750 and GX800 series on my watchlist. If I want to buy OLED TV, I'll rather buy it from LG as they are the only manufacturer of OLED panels. I don't see a reason to pay a hefty premium to other manufacturers for basically the same panel.

I was also thinking of buying a Panasonic plasma back then. I wish I had bought it. Our trouble free experience with Samsung products and their excellent customer care tilted the scale in favour of Samsung plasma.

Hi, I think it'll be difficult to predict the longevity of flat panel displays based on a few sample cases. I have been using Panasonic plasma GT50 bought 7 years back and had this issue of vertical lines right from the beginning. The service center was very good and responsive and they replaced the panel thrice in the 3 year warranty period. Now it's out of warranty and has vertical lines all over. I'm still using it as I love the PQ and lines have become part of the viewing experience :)
In your case, I would suggest to pick the one that suits your budget and matches or betters the PQ of Samsung plasma (I think the OLEDs can be a good choice). Always assume that the panel will go bad and go for one that has good service reputation in your area. Best wishes :)

Sandeep,

Sorry to hear about the problem you are facing with your TV. However, your post was kind of consolation for me. I was thinking, I should have chosen Panasonic plasma over Samsung plasma.

Based on my experience, I know for sure that Samsung has good customer care. Not sure about other manufacturers. I believe, all the reputed brands like Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony should have good customer care and service network at least in all major cities.

Sandeep,

Sorry to hear about the problem you are facing with your TV. However, your post was kind of consolation for me. I was thinking, I should have chosen Panasonic plasma over Samsung plasma.

Based on my experience, I know for sure that Samsung has good customer care. Not sure about other manufacturers. I believe, all the reputed brands like Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony should have good customer care and service network at least in all major cities.
As I mentioned earlier, it's very difficult to predict the failure rates nowadays. It's more of luck, I guess. I bought mine along with another friend who is also a FM here. His unit still has only a few lines and is going good, I ended up with the faulty unit, 3 times in a row :)

If you are open to used gear, do check this listing sometime earlier from Pune for Samsung LED TV. You can check with seller if it's still available.

Last edited:
Good point Sachin. I've Panasonic GX750 and GX800 series on my watchlist. If I want to buy OLED TV, I'll rather buy it from LG as they are the only manufacturer of OLED panels. I don't see a reason to pay a hefty premium to other manufacturers for basically the same panel.

I was also thinking of buying a Panasonic plasma back then. I wish I had bought it. Our trouble free experience with Samsung products and their excellent customer care tilted the scale in favour of Samsung plasma.
Hi,
We have bought LG C8 OLED 55inch TV during last Diwali and till now we are very happy with the performance. Now you have C9 model. See demo of this TV once and decide. Am sure you will go with LG OLED...

Ramesh

Hi,

I would like to comment on this. I too was caught between these choices (LCD v/s OLED). Though OLED offers better picture quality than LCD, we observed that LCD was slightly better while viewing regular HD TV channels, which constitute 90% of our use case. We were comparing the top of the line Sony X series with their OLED model of the same size. We also observed that LCD was less immune to ambient lighting than OLED, something which woukd work in our favor, given a regular well lit living room where we planned to install our TV. Also, between LCD and OLED models of Sony, the latter was 40% more expensive, although this was not major a concern. Also, I read about burn-in problems for OLED panels caused by prolonged static images on screen like channel logos. Again, our typical use case is of this kind. Finally, we purchased Sony 55X9000F. The picture quality did not disappoint for any Full HD content that we have watched. Once we are hooked to the narrative, we never notice the shortcomings .

Back