Which vacuum cleaner to buy?

SaurabhK

Any recommendations for a vac cleaner for house? Would be only occasionaly used for sofa upholstery and carpets.

Buy a suitably powered one from bosch and avoid the low powered cheap ones from eureka Forbes like plague, they often turn out useless.. Must get decent ones around 6k

Karcher and bosch are there in amazon, i bought the eureka Forbes trendy nano for3k and despite wattage at 1k the suction sucks in all departments but for dust.. Better visit a brick and mortar store take a demo on fabric and chose one.. They might match the online prices.. Avoid cheap ones and if you think 8k isn't worth it, stick to periodic sofa carpet etc clean and shampoo service that many online portals give these days

We bought Eureka Forbes wet and dry big one for ?7.5K in 2007. Monthly cleanings in house as well as cleaning car by hanging power cable into parking. No issues so far.

Buy a Karcher. These all are wet and dry vacuums which can also be used for picking up water, unclogging drains and cleaning upholstery as well as they have the power to take water out from upholstery as well.

If you are on a budget and looking for something handy buy a Karcher wd/mv 1

Otherwise Karcher wd/ mv 3 is recommended. Much better than any other wet and dry vac. Here is a comparison with eureka.

uWw3fSO.jpg

Ps: I am a karcher distributor and have sold 100's of these vacuums.

Hi FM's,

I'm also looking for a vacuum cleaner, my budget is around 10k can go 2 or 3k above if there is significant difference, it will be heavily used at home as it is roadside house and dusty, so want to do one time investment for next 4 years, I see in this thread Karcher mv3 as recommendation but I'm worried about the filter and dust bag costs. There are many negative reviews about damage product delivery from karcher. I see there are bag less vacuum cleaner from B&D but have to miss blower function on that.

Could you recommend any model and brand to go for.

Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Like omishra, I've also been using the Eureka Forbes wet and dry. The same model is used by a professional home service carpet and sofa cleaner known to me. But do check if the current version is as good.

Just for the record, I have seen that Eureka Forbes service in the water filter department has slipped alarmingly in recent times. I now get mine done from a local agency.

Don't want to go with Eureka Forbes as I believe their product quantity has gone down and by comparing the specs other brands like Karcher, Black and decker are a lot better in suction power and the build quality. I checked out Karcher MV4 on Amazon looks good build quality, these are manufactured in Italy so expecting better quality than other brands, by the way B&D is also made in USA, but my only worry is that dust bag and filter change cost, can someone tell how frequently these need to be changed if used twice a week.

I also read somewhere that the wet and dry vacuum cleaner can be used without dust bag if required but need to wash the tub after use, can someone confirm this to be true.

I don't know if wet clear are better for regular use, as this will be my first vacuum cleaner, now I shortlisted below.

1) Karcher MV4 (+ wet cleaning and blower function, -need dust bag)

2) Black and Decker Canister model (+doesn't need dust bag, -doesn't have blower and Wet cleaning function)

Regards

On vacuum cleaners....

Currently I own three of them.
1. A Eureka Forbes vacuum cleaner: one of them handheld ones (800 watts).
2. An LG vacuum cleaner: 1400 watts
3. A Karcher WD3: 1000 watts. The company claims it has the suction power of a 1400 watt vacuum i.e. it is more efficient and offers more performance per watt.

First of all, Eureka Forbes has acquired a very bad reputation with regard to the quality of their vacuum cleaners. However, I have not experienced any issue with the particular model I have. The only problem, if it can be called a problem, is that the dust fills up rather fast and has to be frequently emptied. But it IS a small vacuum cleaner and this is to be expected. One issue is regarding accessories. The hose pipe on this unit has been damaged and I am unable to find a replacement anywhere.

Regarding the LG vacuum cleaner: it has a very powerful suction. It also has a retractable cord which makes it easy to store when not in use. The dust bag is also quite large. But it is not replaceable; which means that it has to be emptied and then reused every time.

I got the Karcher WD3 quite recently. Size-wise it is the biggest of the three but not that heavy and it can be easily carried from one room to another while cleaning. It slightly resembles the R2D2 unit from Star Wars. It uses a disposable dust bag. Now, a lot of people seem to have an issue with the fact that the dust bag is disposable and will have to be bought separately, leading to more long term expense. Having used both types of bags, reusable and disposable, I can say that disposable are the better option by far. Emptying a vacuum cleaner's dust bag is no fun especially if there is a lot of dust. The dust tends to get scattered all over the place which defeats the purpose of using the vacuum cleaner in the first place. Then you will have to dust the bag and depending on which way the wind is blowing you could end up getting the dust all over yourself leading to allergy, etc.
The Karcher WD3 is great in this respect. First of all, if you have a problem with buying additional dust bags, the unit can be used without dust bag also. In this case, you will probably end up having to clean the filter more often. If you are up for a little "jugaad" you can also make your own dust bag. Or you can also reuse the existing dust bag. But you will have to deal with the problem of flying dust which was the main disadvantage of using the reusable dust bag. You have more options with the Karcher: whether you want to use the supplied dust bag, not use the dust bag or reuse the dust bag. The replacements are easily available online. A pack of 5 costs a little over Rs. 1000. And if you think that you will be having to replace dust bags every two weeks think again. The dust bag is huge and most people say that theirs last for more than 6 months. Of course, it all depends on how much dust you have, the number of times you clean per week, etc, but the point is that it will be quite a while before you have to replace the bag.
Another very important consideration when looking at a vacuum cleaner is suction power. I can confidently say that the WD3 lives up to Karcher's claim of 1400W suction power. The suction power is equal to, if not better than, the suction power of the 1400W LG vacuum cleaner while drawing less power; and that is saying something because the LG vacuum is no slouch in this department.
The Karcher is a wet vacuum cleaner which means that it can also clean liquid spills. I have not tested this feature yet so cannot comment.
The WD3 also has a blower function which the LG does not have (the Eureka Forbes unit has a blower function).
The Karcher has few negatives. Some people have complained about the lack of attachments. Attachments are available by third-party manufacturers if you feel the supplied attachments are not enough. The greatest negative in my opinion is the quality of the plastic it is made of. It is rather weak and can and will break easily. My unit came to me with a few small broken plastic pieces in the box. Since these broken pieces did not affect the functioning of the unit, I decided to keep it rather than have to go through the hassle of returning the unit and having to wait for a refund/replacement.

I would say the Karcher WD3 is a good investment if you are looking for a good vacuum cleaner.

Thanks for the detailed response @Shredder, I believe I would have to go for Karcher mv4 or mv5 as it looks to have easy cleaning options for the filter, thought mv5 cost 15k but it might have the exact power and cleaning convenience, as it is bigger should have a headroom to accommodate more dust and overall less replacement frequency for the filter.

I have to live with the running cost for dust bag replacement, as there are no equalent options, I will see if I have to replace dust bag frequently I will do some jugaad to have a washable dust bag or so.

Regards

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back