Which wifi6 modem & router combo for future

rsjaurr

I have a 200mbps plan bsnl fiber at home and quite satisfied with it except the range of supplied Chinese unit.

So I'm looking for a combo which I can also use for the next 5-6 years without having the need to upgrade.
Budget is under 10k.

A decent Wi-Fi 6 router usually costs around 200/300$. There are few available below 100$ but they are pretty useless. Considering your budget, I would stick to a decent Wi-Fi 5 router. One also needs a Wi-Fi 6 device as well along with router to benefit from this new standard. You won't loose much* with a good Wi-Fi 5 router.

Last edited:
So which is better option, increase the budget or settle with wifi5?
2nd option seems better IMO and which wifi5 is combo you will recommend?

WiFi 6 is still evolving and down the line, the prices will come down but at this moment they are pretty costlier in India. I am biased toward ASUS based on my personal experience. You can opt for RT-AC68/86U, they are retailing around 12K in Amazon.

The supplied modem is capped at 50mbps so I have to upgrade modem part also. The linksys recommend by you is only a router.

I am biased toward ASUS based on my personal experience. You can opt for RT-AC68/86U, they are ......
These Asus modems are getting lot of good reviews.

Last edited:
Sorry for being not so clear earlier but let me explain it once more.

I am having BSNL fiber since early 2020. Till couple of months ago the plan was 50mbps but now it is 200mbps. I was under the impression that they had installed a 100mbps router but it was found to be only 50mbps.

So I am paying for 200mbps but getting a speed of up to 50mbps only. If I pair any latest router with 50mbps modem I will not be getting to use my 200mbps bsnl fiber connection?

So am looking for a not too expensive router/modem combo which can serve me for next 2-3 years.

So am looking for a not too expensive router/modem combo which can serve me for next 2-3 years.
The modem and router that I mentioned above which I am using does 200 Mbps. My earlier modem was doing only upto 100Mbps and so it was changed by BSNL to the one linked above.

First, check if your BSNL provided Modem has 1Gbps Ethernet terminals, most of them 100 Mbps. If you don't have a Gbps terminal, your speed will be capped by the Modem's Ethernet terminal speed.

The modem that I linked above has one GE (Gigabit Ethernet port - 1000 Mps) and one FE (Fast Ethernet port - 100 Mbps).

As OM_2K19 mentioned, check if you have a GE port and if you have connect your router to it before changing the modem. You must be getting 50 Mbps connected to the FE port.

The modem is Huawei ont EG8141A5 and acc. to spec it has a GE port. There are four LAN ports but I do not know which one is GE port.

Edit - Port 1 seems to be GE port.

Attachments

• Eth port info.PNG
    Eth port info.PNG
    26.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Did you connect the router to port 1 and check ? If you are still not getting the speed then you will have to check if the cable used to connect the modem and the router is a straight cable. If it is a cross cable, you will only get 100 Mbps or less. With a straight cable, you should get your ISP bandwidth of 200 Mbps.

Did you connect the router to port 1 and check ? If you are still not getting the speed then you will have to check if the cable used to connect the modem and the router is a straight cable. If it is a cross cable, you will only get 100 Mbps or less. With a straight cable, you should get your ISP bandwidth of 200 Mbps.
I do not have a router to connect to it.
I connected LAN1 port to the oled TV and connection speed on Netflix was 94mbps which is excellent imo.
Now I can either postpone them purchase of router or just buy the cheaper one. My upcoming NAS and TV are placed only 6-7 feet away.

My upcoming NAS and TV are placed only 6-7 feet away.
The other 3 ports in your modem is FE, so only 100 Mbps. Wifi is 2.4 Ghz so you will get around 30-40 Mbps over wifi. If you need all your devises to connect via GE, then you will need a appropriate router. But then again, most TV's have 100 Mbps Ethernet ports so it will not go above 100 Mbps. NAS these days should have a Gigabit port.

The other 3 ports in your modem is FE, so only 100 Mbps. Wifi is 2.4 Ghz so you will get around 30-40 Mbps over wifi. If you need all your devises to connect via GE, then you will need a appropriate router. But then again, most TV's have 100 Mbps Ethernet ports so it will not go above 100 Mbps. NAS these days should have a Gigabit port.
I guess I can manage with the current Huawei modem based on my needs. The desktop on the upper floor needed a better range but even that I solved with a 60' wire running via rooftop.
In a couple of years I will go major upgrade ina new house.

Hi,
U can really get the advantage of wifi 6 if more than 20 devices connected to same AP.wifi 6 is designed for high density applications.
Moreover they cannot ditch old genration 2.4 ghz wifi soon as it cover more range than 5ghz
I suggest you to get gud wifi 5ghz Access Point(not a router) as you already have a router from bsnl
Go for enterprise products whose performance will be gud and dont need regular restarts periodically.
U can check ubiquiti UAP AC lite or UAP AC LR which i installed in my home getting 200mbps in wifi in my mobile.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back