Who’d you select for the first test against New Zealand?

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
and just saw the score and it only makes sense that Gill comes in for Rahane..his graph has been steadily going down while Pujara may have a couple of years more left.

What a shambolic series against NZ?
Serious questions arise-
1)why couldn't we cope with the swing bowling conditions in NZ, inspite of their bowling not genuine quick?
2)what happened to the hyped batting line up-is it hype without substance?
3)why did the world class bowling struggle for rhythm - (to be honest they were better than the batters).
4)why Ashwin is not allowed to settle down in his rhythm? constant chopping?
5)why create unnecessary pressure on Bumrah - he was not bad but not in top gear as well
6)why our Indian team was found lacking in match situations tactically?
7)is the support staff really wonderful as they are made out to be?
8)Do we resemble Australian team of old - mere aggro/boorish/showmanship-without real solidity or talent?
9)Did we merely TALK, while NZ team played real cricket?
9)Unless India wins consistently in foreign tours-can we be called 'World Beaters' ?

What a shambolic series against NZ?
Serious questions arise-
1)why couldn't we cope with the swing bowling conditions in NZ, inspite of their bowling not genuine quick?
2)what happened to the hyped batting line up-is it hype without substance?
3)why did the world class bowling struggle for rhythm - (to be honest they were better than the batters).
4)why Ashwin is not allowed to settle down in his rhythm? constant chopping?
5)why create unnecessary pressure on Bumrah - he was not bad but not in top gear as well
6)why our Indian team was found lacking in match situations tactically?
7)is the support staff really wonderful as they are made out to be?
8)Do we resemble Australian team of old - mere aggro/boorish/showmanship-without real solidity or talent?
9)Did we merely TALK, while NZ team played real cricket?
9)Unless India wins consistently in foreign tours-can we be called 'World Beaters' ?

I think the Indian and NZ test teams are quite balanced on paper. Therefore, the home team advantage tilts the balance in NZ’s favour. That would have led to a more closely fought series even if India lost. But what made the real difference according to me was the commitment, planning, preparation and discipline of the NZ team that seemed far ahead of the Indian team’s. And naturally the latter got steadily found out as the tour moved from the shortest to the longest version which is more dependent on these factors than mere talent and flair. The NZ bowlers had plans for each batsman and their execution was highly disciplined. The Indian team on the other hand, seemed clueless. A lot of accountability for this lies on the coaching staff and the captain. Also, it never helps any team’s morale when its captain has an extended rut of poor personal performances. Add to that the personal choices (made either by them or the board or influenced by their franchisees, no one would know) of some key players - Rohit Sharma, Hardik Pandya, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, even Ishant Sharma - who seem time have put a premium on IPL over the Test series. For example, Rohit is vacationing in Spain enjoying watching football league while on paper he is recovering from injury that kept him out of the Test series. Why isn’t he in NCA working on his recovery and fitness under the physios instead? I won’t be surprised if all these players are miraculously fit to play by the time the IPL starts.

Let’s face it - irrespective of what the captain feels or says, the team and board seem to place the lucrative shortest format of cricket over the more challenging Test format which demands longer term outlook, strategising and planning, disciplined execution and delayed gratification as much as classic talent (which the team and nation possesses in plenty).

Last edited by a moderator:
India has always struggled in New Zealand conditions. I do not remember any indian team winning a test series in NZL in the last 25 to 30 Yrs. 15 yrs ago we had a much better batting line up with the likes of great Sachin, Dravid Sehwag , Laxman and Ganguly. They also came a cropper against NZL. So this team is no different. But certainly the biggest disappointment has been the form of captain Kohli. He has had a miserable tour like the 2014 England series.

India has always struggled in New Zealand conditions. I do not remember any indian team winning a test series in NZL in the last 25 to 30 Yrs. 15 yrs ago we had a much better batting line up with the likes of great Sachin, Dravid Sehwag , Laxman and Ganguly. They also came a cropper against NZL. So this team is no different. But certainly the biggest disappointment has been the form of captain Kohli. He has had a miserable tour like the 2014 England series.
I think we do have short memories. We have won the 2008-2009 test series in New Zealand 1-0 :)

I think we do have short memories. We have won the 2008-2009 test series in New Zealand 1-0 :)
Oh Yes the three match test series. I believe Tendulkar scored a century and Gambir also scored centuries in the subsequent test matches. We really miss players of their caliber. Bumrah bowled good but we miss a bowler who could swing the ball in New Zealand condition like the great Kapil Dev.

What I think we don't realize is that we almost lost the T-20 series also as the last three matches were purely won from the jaws of defeat. The New Zealand batsman were consistently playing our bowlers comfortable right from the 3rd T-20 itself.
In the the longer T-50 version their domination was complete.

The warning signs were clear right from the 2nd half of the T20 series.

Oh Yes the three match test series. I believe Tendulkar scored a century and Gambir also scored centuries in the subsequent test matches. We really miss players of their caliber. Bumrah bowled good but we miss a bowler who could swing the ball in New Zealand condition like the great Kapil Dev.

Kapil Dev was a great swing bowler. But his record in New Zealand is hardly anything to feel good about. In 7 test matches he played there, he bowled in 11 innings taking just 15 wickets at an average of 42 runs per wicket and strike rate of 93 balls per wicket. From the current team, both Ishant Sharma and Mohammad Shami have far better records in tests played in NZ than Kapil Dev. (The best Indian bowler in tests played in NZ was a spinner - Erapalli Prasanna).

Your point is still well-taken that we missed a swing bowler like Bhuvneshwar in these conditions. But that would hardly have made a material difference given the pathetic collective batting performance.

Also, players achieve greatness in the latter half of their career. Mohd. Shami has all the possibility to be end his career as India’s best fast bowler ever (not in absolute no of wickets as he is already 29 but in terms of wickets per innings, average and strike rate). Already after 49 test matches he has the best average (27.3) of all premier Indian fast bowlers ever (including Kapil who ended at 29.6) and by far the best strike rate (49 balls per wicket). In comparison, Kapil Dev’s strike rate was 63 balls per wicket). Kapil Dev’s greatness lied more in his all-round capability than just bowling. The current Indian fast bowling lot is not just collectively, but even individually better than those that played before them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back