Why are all AV products so costly in India???

Luke Yang

Hello Guys,

I am Luke Yang, am from South Korea. I have been staying in India since 2005. Nowadays I am planning to install home theater in my house.

But all the products are much higher than Korea. First I am searching receiver and projector from Korean Web site then try to find shop which provide products in India. But many shops have only few model and they charge almost double.

For instance, DLP Projector Benq 612C, it's 40500 inclusive tax. But it's only 20000 in Korea.

Also, I went to Burma Bazzar for searching AV Receiver. I found YAMAHA XR-V630 and 430 second hand one. They told first one is 13K, second one is 10K.
In Korea, second hand 630 is 6~7k, 430 is 4~5K.

Of course, now I am in Bangalore, India. But I know the correct price so I can't buy them with their price.

What should I do?

I want to make my own theater. T.T

Please tell me the place where I can get good and cheap product in Bangalore or Chennai.

Here is my room theater. But it's so dark that's why I wanna upgrade.

???? ???? ????

Regards guys,

every thing is costly in India :).I mean to say wat ever middle class buy are costly.From cars to AV.So when you are here there is not much option.
But u can carry AV from korea or any other plc,expect Towers most of the things can be done this way(given u r going to korea : ) ).

Best of lucks

Welcome to INDIA !!! :)

Thats how the indian govt gets their revenue. The rich business class in india evade Income tax and hence the only way the govt can recover is by imposing high taxes on luxury items and goods. In india things like high end electronics, Cars etc are not for common people, hence they are expensive due to higher taxes. Ironically the middle class suffers the most as they pay taxes and also have to spend so much for little luxuries. :eek:

C'mon man. Don't make this into a bitch session and also stop quoting things out of the way.

Thats how the indian govt gets their revenue. The rich business class in india evade Income tax and hence the only way the govt can recover is by imposing high taxes on luxury items and goods.

he he he, i quite agree with chaxy actually. Unfortunately prices in India are on the higher side for most components. Notable exceptions include Cambridge Audio, Wharfedale, and some other British brands, for these you'll find prices that are comparable to the prices in their home country, don't ask me how they do it.

Welcome to INDIA !!! :)

Thats how the indian govt gets their revenue. The rich business class in india evade Income tax and hence the only way the govt can recover is by imposing high taxes on luxury items and goods. In india things like high end electronics, Cars etc are not for common people, hence they are expensive due to higher taxes. Ironically the middle class suffers the most as they pay taxes and also have to spend so much for little luxuries. :eek:

I agree with you Chaxy like TOTALLY. You've touched a chord man and I dont think this is out of context. Middle class is always at the losing end.

I would agree to Chaxy too, but on the same note would like to add that things "are" changing and for good. Indian market too is getting competitive and with US markets going into recession, we are going to get the advantage as the sellers tend to move to markets holding good and to stay there, they give some competitive pricing.

Nevertheless, coming to Luke's question, my advise would be to get hold of your family there and tell them to buy and ship you the goods as gifts or if someone is coming to India, may carry with him/her. This way, you may avoid import duties. Also avoid shipping through EMS, instead go in for courier as they are lesser prone to inspections. So there's a good chance that it won't get opened. One more thing, avoid original cartons and packaging when shipping and show them as they are used ones. If possible, put some commercial value at the same time telling that its a gift. Finally, try to get things in multiple packages to keep each ones value to less. Though it would cost you more on shipping them separately, but you save customs if you keep it within allowed limits. For details you may check with international courier companies or refer to Central Board of Excise and Customs site for customs rules and informations.

Cheers!
Arminder

Disclaimer: Please note that I don't endorse these suggestions and you shall have to act on your own will and shall be responsible for the consequences whatsoever. :cool:

aside from all the bitching, the truth.

its all about supply and demand. now if u r willing to go in for the largest selling HTB in India, u will find that it isn't that much more costly than when u want to buy a more sophisticated system for which the customers are more limited and it is a given that they would be willing to pay more because they are more discerning.
ofcourse the taxes en all do make a difference, but then that is the same in any other country. Dont compare the prices in US which is almpost the biggest market. There r many other countries where the prices would be similar to ours.

giddavr

Lastly it is is consumer craze and willingness to shell out extra to blame. I paid 4K extra for my marantz CDP and 2K extra for my speakers. Even most budget components are priced an unfair extra margin by the dealers approximating one way airfare to Singapore.

A first and a last time for me, (I got Indian speakers the next time as I was unwilling to even consider phoren brands for this reason) - I will never repeat the mistake, but like me there will be many first timers off whom the local sellers thrive on.

If we STOP, we can force the prices down over a year but it is easier said than done.

I would recommend the grey market smuggled route (as a political stance) where prices are more rational - they is no point in paying 8K extra for the eventuality that you might probably require service and repairs costing 3 to 4K someday in the next 2 years.

Regards

That is because they are willing to spend no matter what price it is. One of the reason why land price increased everything increased. You can jack up the price as much as you want you will still find people to buy it. Food is the only cheap thing i guess. Even that has gone up. I went to chennai last year after a period 8 years. Everything has significantly gone up.

Lastly it is is consumer craze and willingness to shell out extra to blame. I paid 4K extra for my marantz CDP and 2K extra for my speakers. Even most budget components are priced an unfair extra margin by the dealers approximating one way airfare to Singapore.

Exactly!!! During Y2K time there was unprecedented increase in house rent in San Francisco mainly because of our desis. They were ready to pay whatever rent they asked. 2000$..per month. no problem. 3000$ no problem.. That was one of the reason i hated to buy land and apartment in chennai. I could buy. But it was atrociously priced. It was not even half worth. Things will get really rough when the bubble bursts. That is how American economy took a downturn. People living beyond their means. Back in the 80s all we had just a transistor.

In addition to being costly goods available in India fronm MNCs are of inferior quality.

So, in India item X is costly as well as of inferior quality. and we have to be content with that.

Also if you buy any product in india it has India warranty and if you buy it from other countries it is worldwide warranty.

In addition to being costly goods available in India fronm MNCs are of inferior quality.

So, in India item X is costly as well as of inferior quality. and we have to be content with that.

Also if you buy any product in india it has India warranty and if you buy it from other countries it is worldwide warranty.

i think this applies to ALL goods .. not only the costly ones ... Try the coke say in thailand and try it here .. u will know the difference ...:mad:

In US you have lot of these fun deals. I give you a live example. Sorry guys. It is not to piss you off. It is just an unique case i wanted to share.

I bought a 46G10 last week through a promotion from amazon. Promotion was 46G10 + BD60k blu ray player = 1141$ after 200$ rebate. Then they have these lightning deals every day. Usually it lasts 4 hours. Today they had this lightning deal for 46G10 also the promotion. I ended up paying 150$ more as a result of it.:mad: . This lightning deal for a plasma is very very very rare. That too getting deal for the same model you purchased is even more rare.

5ck1af.png

46G10 + Blu ray player BD60k (panasonic)

2wdwv1f.png

In US you have lot of these fun deals. I give you a live example. Sorry guys. It is not to piss you off. It is just an unique case i wanted to share.

I bought a 46G10 last week through a promotion from amazon. Promotion was 46G10 + BD60k blu ray player = 1141$ after 200$ rebate. Then they have these lightning deals every day. Usually it lasts 4 hours. Today they had this lightning deal for 46G10 also the promotion. I ended up paying 150$ more as a result of it.:mad: . This lightning deal for a plasma is very very very rare. That too getting deal for the same model you purchased is even more rare.

So amazon would not price match? I think you got dinged even more

So amazon would not price match? I think you got dinged even more

They didn't because it was a combined deal. I bought for 995$ which was less than 999$. They gave a 20$ credit.

I paid 1141$ instead of 972$. The gave 20$ credit. So 1121$ instead of 972$. That is about 150$. But it is heart breaking since it is only 10 days :mad:. Slowly i will overcome i guess :p

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back