Why DTH service packs so confusing?

Hari Iyer

I have now been using DTH service since 2006 and till date i am at loss to know how they package the services. If someone can help educate me i will be thankful to them. The reason is as below,
1. You tell me there is a base package to select, but i never know what is included channels in base package.
2. Then you go on and on and on about the various channel without mentioning what is actually available to me.
3. Then if you go to the HD service pack, then fancy icons are put without actually telling me what is available on payment.

When we actually go and buy some pack arbitrarily then after a week we discover that 80% of favorite channels were not included. Then goes the endless debate of fighting with the channel guys who themselves dont know what to say because they are uneducated people sitting there and guding us. This is the trauma i face every six months for the past 10 years with no sign of relief or getting better. Finally i give up watching TV as it gives me more stress than listening to audio which atleast dont have these pitfalls.

I am sure that these information are kept weird in the website to confuse people and grab money.

I throw open this post to FMs to share their experienc in trying to buy some packs.

Last edited:
Do inform which DTH service you use so you can get responses specific to that.
Tatasky, which I use, has everything very clear on their website, no confusion at all.

Yes do mention the provider, then users of those providers then help you out. I have Tata sky and Airtel, both fairly straightforward I feel in selecting the package. For example, my Airtel package is a basic base package, I picked the cheapest one possible as it's mandatory and over that I have the HD package that contains all the available HD channels .. my monthly rental is 320/- . I only watch HD channels and I have all that are offered by Airtel.

MaSh

Image quality is at par with Tata sky if not better, however I feel the sound quality is better on Tata sky.

MaSh

Well, thinking about Tata Sky since few days as I'm fed up with incessant issues I encounter with Hathway in my area.

To list a few., lack of signal quality causing discontinuous picture & sound, STB going into stand-by mode & won't be ready even after dis & re-connecting, constant software download requests, most of the times, nothing happens and if happens, again would be asked to download... so on. These will be solved only when the technician visits, fiddles with the main box installed in the area, resets, visits home & says he has fixed it. Pathetic!

I shall check Tata Sky website for more info. Hope I get some relief soon!

Just for comparison, the Infinity pack of Airtel costs Rs. 5800 per year and the Tata Sky Platinum pack costs Rs.8900 per year. The difference is quite huge. These are the highest packs which include almost all channels (both SD and HD)

That's cool. Very valuable inference. I shall check Airtel's too.

BTW, as you know, it's been raining pretty heavily here, with lightning & thunderstorms. It's going berserk even now. Any issues like attenuation/degradation you are encountering with Tata sky/Airtel or they are handling the weather pretty well ?

Well my Airtel costs me 420/- a month and I have all the HD channels.

MaSh

Nice, am currently paying 525 per month for Hathway. Looking at few cool plans on Airtel website now. I have a feeling that I would go with it.

Could you please share your take on this ?

" it's been raining pretty heavily here, with lightning & thunderstorms. It's going berserk even now. Any issues like attenuation/degradation you are encountering with Tata sky/Airtel or they are handling the weather pretty well ? "

Nice, am currently paying 525 per month for Hathway. Looking at few cool plans on Airtel website now. I have a feeling that I would go with it.

Could you please share your take on this ?

" it's been raining pretty heavily here, with lightning & thunderstorms. It's going berserk even now. Any issues like attenuation/degradation you are encountering with Tata sky/Airtel or they are handling the weather pretty well ? "

Yes Airtel has a slightly simpler plan selector, atleast for me. No issues there. Sound Quality as I have said earlier seems better in Tata Sky. Otherwise both are same. Yes during rains the connection goes away when it starts raining, cloudy situations are fairly Okay.

MaSh

Don't know about Air-tel, but I am using Tata Sky since 2011, and there are no issues with the PQ. The SQ is a bit compromised and tends to be low on volume while viewing HD channels when Dolby Digital is selected in the Tata Sky sound menu. Other wise the packages are clear and the service too is good.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back