Why my projector doesn't switch to UPS power immediately when lamp is on?

r_sudip

I have an Acer projector that I have connected to a UPS(800 VA) because there are frequent power outages in my area. When the projector is in standby mode, if there is a power outage, it is able to switch to UPS power instantaneously. However, when the projector is on(i.e when the lamp is on), in case of power cuts, it switches off and then switches back on within a second. This essentially defeats the whole purpose of connecting projector to the UPS. Why the projector is not able to switch to UPS power immediately when the projector lamp on? Does such abrupt switch off/on affect the lamp?

I also want to use ups to my projector nice thread what I think is I assume you have connected normal ups which could have more time switch when load ( power ) is ON. suggest to try with online ups 1kva and let me know if it helps resolves this issue

I have an Acer projector that I have connected to a UPS(800 VA) because there are frequent power outages in my area. When the projector is in standby mode, if there is a power outage, it is able to switch to UPS power instantaneously. However, when the projector is on(i.e when the lamp is on), in case of power cuts, it switches off and then switches back on within a second. This essentially defeats the whole purpose of connecting projector to the UPS. Why the projector is not able to switch to UPS power immediately when the projector lamp on? Does such abrupt switch off/on affect the lamp?
Check for the transfer time of the UPS. But, it is better to go with the online ups. And yes, it does affect your lamp.

Hi, there is detailed thread of the types of UPS in forum.
ONLINE UPS supplies always from battery no matter what thats y online ups is deployed in critical applications like medical equipments in hospitals.
go for online ups but many online ups like APC,Microtek does come with active cooling fan consider that into account

Last edited:
It is not the job of the projector to switch to UPS. Your UPS is the culprit. It is taking time to switch on the inverter circut when the power goes off.

When the projector is on standby, it cosumes very little power. All projectors have a built-in power supply with capacitors. In standby mode, these capacitors will be able to supply power for few seconds even if the input AC power is removed. When the projector is on, it consumes high power because of the bulb. The capacitors will be able to supply power just for few micro or milli seconds when the AC power goes off. If your UPS inverter circuit takes longer than the time taken for capacitor to discharge, your projector will go off.

Some inverters/switch have a switch to turn it into online UPS. Check your UPS manual. If it doesn't have such a switch, you will have to buy another UPS that supports online mode.

It's the problem with UPS
My PJ had a similar issues as 800va was not enough. Changed to 3kva and the problem sorted out.

The fact that it's switching automatically to UPS power in standby mode(lower power requirements mode) and unable to do so in Lamp on mode means that UPS isn't delivering enough power commensurate with the requirements. Switching delay May not be the issue.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back