Why not optical speaker cables?

panditji

Can anyone explain why optical fibre has not been used to transmit the signal from the amplifier to the speakers? Is it not possible or is it because of cost nobody has tried making any?

Can anyone explain why optical fibre has not been used to transmit the signal from the amplifier to the speakers? Is it not possible or is it because of cost nobody has tried making any?
Amplifier to speaker signals are closer to power than data. Can't use optical to transmit power

The signals sent from Amp to speaker is analog signal carrying power. Optical cables can only carry laser coded digital signal, Analog signal/Power can't be transmitted over optical cable.

Why not!! It can be used. Any data can be transmitted over optical. question is what is the use case and is it cost effective. What are the advantages by doing so. Optis came into picture for faster transmit, no electrostatic distortion, Carry data to longer distances with minimal loss with the speed of light. whey not use TOSLINK to interface amplifiers and speakers. ?? remember that optics use very very less power using led for cost effectivenes. Imagine such interfaces are invented, then speakers become bulky as they need to equip with amplifiers to drive them. All speakers will become active and need power. I don’t see any necessity for it in near future. Missing link in this entire chain is us(humans) unfortunately we can not become digital ;)
so with all this... why not ! maybe in the future @panditji :)

Most CD players and DAC now-a-days are not having optic fiber link due to some reason. I don't think cost would be the reason. My Marantz Blueray player don't have one.

You can, if you have active speakers with an optical input :)

But as other have pointed out, it’s analog vs digital.

Most CD players and DAC now-a-days are not having optic fiber link due to some reason. I don't think cost would be the reason. My Marantz Blueray player don't have one.

Optic comes with additional overhead of signal conversion. None of allo products has optical out. On allo website for digione, its quoted 'Optical had to go… by definition it has a jitter of 4ns'. I believe optical was not originally made for audio signals just as usb. Coaxial spdif is one standard that was made for digital audio transfer.

You can, but then you've done most of the work needed and wireless is just another chip away, and then smart is just another chip away. And those get much better prices so you end up with a wireless smart speaker like a sonos

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back