why people using high power amps?

manu4panjab

hey bros.

why most of people using amplifier instead of avr?

is it because they want to play loud insane volume or what

coz today at 3p.m i just visit one of my audio video dealers clint's home who has rotel 200 watts x 5 channel amp + onkyo 805 avr with bowers and wilkins 800 5.1 pacakge
he then show me his home theatre .he play very loud and i can say 'man his system sound 10 times better than mine' .he told me that i use only onkyo 805 as a pre -pro and feed all my five b&w speakers with rotel .i can also say that his speakers never distorts even at higher volume is this because of rotel 200 watts amp or what.
after critical listening to his home theare system i'm just dreaming of it woooooo he has pair of b&w which cozt around 14 lacs/pair

i also found here that most of you guys too using amps instead of avr why ?

and what is pre-pro?

Last edited:
. If you have a very low powered receiver with power hungry speakers like 4ohm or with less than 90db sensitivity you risk clipping the signal from the receiver at high volumes which in turn would hurt the speakers as they would be clipping instead of being fed clean undistorted signal.

In a power amp you have bigger heat sinks better power supply which give it the ability to drive even power hungry speakers with finesse. It will go louder and would be cleaner sounding. A power amp can also make low volume listening more cleaner and clearer.

Hope this helps and dont start multiple threads for the same exact thing.

and what is pre-pro?

Pre-Pro is a short form of saying preamplifier / processor. Some people refer to it as Surround Sound Processor, though a SSP does not have any amplification. When you take the pre out of an AVR to a power amp, you say you are using the AVR as a pre-pro. It pre-amplifies the 7.1 audio signals and processes the video signals.

Cheers

woot, one logical question that comes to my mind is:
if clipped output is so bad for speakers then maybe I shouldn't play any rock or metal music.

Because they rely heavily on the already clipped tones of guitar.

So playing such music on my "audiophile" grade speakers, tantamounts to feeding a clipped signal from amp, which would degrade/harm these speakers.

What Loads of BS!!!

Clipped output is not = high frequency. Clipped output is when the output from the amplifier exceeds the supply voltage rails, lopping off the top and bottom of the waveform.

HF energy is produced by the power supply, and this HF is discharged into the speaker load. That is what destroys tweeters. Soft clipping detects the onset of clipping and reduces the gain of the amp. Obviously this circuitry has an adverse effect on sonics, but it does protect your speakers.

In reality a few watts (about 10) of program material above 80KHz will potentially destroy tweeters, and with SACD bandwidth hitting 96KHz, newer drivers need to be able to cope with the potential of having some amount of supersonic program material.

With regular CD, you don't need to worry - the output will never exceed 24KHz anyway. So play it as loud as you want, but don't let your amplifier clip.

So what you mean, and as I understand, is that clipping/overdrive/distortion within the realms of 24kHz, is not going to harm the tweeters.
Its the harmonics produced (because of the clipping) of the original high frequency content, which is greater than the 24 kHz, which destroys the tweeters.

But then my point is this:
Suppose your speakers are capable of handling 100w power.
And you've an amp which can barely push 10w.

You are saying that trying to drive this amp beyond 10w will lead to distortion/clipping etc and that will lead to tweeter damage.
But then how much would this amp be able to push?
definitely not 100w.
I wonder is such a low power (when the speakers are actually capable of handling higher power) would really cause a damage.

Next situation is this:
Your speaker is capable of handling 100w, but we mate it with a 300w amp.
Now as we turn up the volume, we will observe that the speakers start distorting - which means the woofer and tweeter are unable to output the signal fed with fidelity.

This is what I call as causing harm to your speakers. Your speakers distort because they are mechanically not designed to bear the mechanical load that such high (300w) power demands.

You tell me which is more detrimental.

Last edited:
Ofcourse, one thing I wont deny is this:

a 300w rated amp will deliver much higher fidelity at 100w than a 100w amp at max load.

woot, one logical question that comes to my mind is:
if clipped output is so bad for speakers then maybe I shouldn't play any rock or metal music.

Because they rely heavily on the already clipped tones of guitar.

So playing such music on my "audiophile" grade speakers, tantamounts to feeding a clipped signal from amp, which would degrade/harm these speakers.

What Loads of BS!!!

Regardless of the music played, it is not the recorded clipped music but the clipped output from the amp which will destroy your speaker

Amplifier clipping:
Power Amplifier Clipping

You are saying that trying to drive this amp beyond 10w will lead to distortion/clipping etc and that will lead to tweeter damage.

Exactly :D

Ofcourse, a 300 watt amps pusing a 10 watt tweeter can also damage the tweeter. But that is a different story. Only stupid people will do that. In most cases it is lower wattage/incapable amps which blow tweeters.

Last edited:
clipped output from amp means a DC current for a duration rather than an AC current - which means you are not making the speaker move, but pinning it to the extreme in one direction. When pushed this way, all power given turns into heat instead of kinetic energy, and that fries the tweeters. But what makes amp clip? Extreme power draw by woofers I guess.

All above are my guesses based on some haphazard concepts formed by reading random articles on the net.

also see my comment in another thread - a test tone track that sends out square waves - and there is a warning that it can fry the tweeters, that goggle may want to have with his evening tea.

regards

hey bros.

why most of people using amplifier instead of avr?

is it because they want to play loud insane volume or what

coz today at 3p.m i just visit one of my audio video dealers clint's home who has rotel 200 watts x 5 channel amp + onkyo 805 avr with bowers and wilkins 800 5.1 pacakge
he then show me his home theatre .he play very loud and i can say 'man his system sound 10 times better than mine' .he told me that i use only onkyo 805 as a pre -pro and feed all my five b&w speakers with rotel .i can also say that his speakers never distorts even at higher volume is this because of rotel 200 watts amp or what.
after critical listening to his home theare system i'm just dreaming of it woooooo he has pair of b&w which cozt around 14 lacs/pair

i also found here that most of you guys too using amps instead of avr why ?

and what is pre-pro?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back