why sign off with cheers?

moktan

of late one has witnessed in this forum, an almost missionary zeal to sanitize language of the posts..
as a result, understandably and thankfully sms lingo have been censured and attempts made by zealous moderators to discourage posts in upper caps...(on grounds of politeness, or rather the lack of it..)

however there seems to be a reluctance to relinquish the ubiquitous cheers.
.(as in "I am closing this thread ..Cheers!"..)
i wonder when this meaningless refrain would be banished from the forum....
someone more knowledgeable in these matters has to say this about cheers...

"What is 'cheers'? Clinking a glass? It's an irrelevant word..."

It is just a simple way of signing off on a happy note. Nothing else. Though you can sign off with 'Regards', 'Kind Regards', and similar terms, they would bring a tinge of formality to the exchange. 'Cheers' is a way of saying the same thing informally.

You can sign off any way you want, as long as it is polite and not unparliamentary.

Cheers

It is just a simple way of signing off on a happy note. Nothing else. Though you can sign off with 'Regards', 'Kind Regards', and similar terms, they would bring a tinge of formality to the exchange. 'Cheers' is a way of saying the same thing informally.

You can sign off any way you want, as long as it is polite and not unparliamentary.

Cheers

absolutely agree!

there is nothing wrong with signing off with a simple wish that spreads cheer among all readers!

imagine a world where people sign off like this (and this is catching on at an increasingly alarming rate): Brgds

Brgds! Man, what does that even mean? ( In know what it means, but you know what I mean! ;))

so does one always sign off on a 'happy note'?..
and of course one needn't replace an inanity with another incomprehensible clutter of alphabets.. (one that isn't even found in the dictionary, not yet at least..)...

regards..

so does one always sign off on a 'happy note'?..
and of course one needn't replace an inanity with another incomprehensible clutter of alphabets.. (one that isn't even found in the dictionary, not yet at least..)...

regards..

It is not necessary... But, if one chooses to sign off differently one can... for instance, here are a couple of non-cheerful options:

1. Tears...
2. regrets...
3. Sigh!
4. bitterness
5. remorsefully

Dude, sign off with whatever best communicates what you feel!
:):):):)

Cheers! :)

It is not necessary... But, if one chooses to sign off differently one can... for instance, here are a couple of non-cheerful options:

1. Tears...
2. regrets...
3. Sigh!
4. bitterness
5. remorsefully

Dude, sign off with whatever best communicates what you feel!
:):):):)

Cheers! :)

yes..
thanks and regards...(honestly that is how i feel..as for cheers, i have said that too, but under more compelling and clanking reasons of cheerfulness)

Last edited:
yes..
thanks and regards...(honestly that is how i feel..as for cheers, i have said that too, but under more compelling and clanking reasons of cheerfulness)

:) you are a sweetie! I understand where you're coming from. But this issue is hardly an issue bro.

Saying cheers also conveys the amicable nature of the poster.
It spreads harmony and brings in a friendly atmosphere, making the forum more enjoyable.
So it's always welcome:)

Cheers need not always mean clanking of glasses to raise a toast. I even signoff my office emails and telephonic conversations with cheers - most of the time. Brits use cheers to say thank someone and also to say goodbye.

Cheers need not always mean clanking of glasses to raise a toast. I even signoff my office emails and telephonic conversations with cheers - most of the time. Brits use cheers to say thank someone and also to say goodbye.

you forgot to say Cheers.

Anyways yes the way it is used, feels like a mindless inanity more often than not. Then there are some who imagine the drunkard is a poster .. sorry the poster is a drunkard raising a glass to his lips immediately after the post. Now I imagine you will be frowning every time somebody signs off a note to you with cheer. But until a more profound inanity is invented by someone guess we will continue to use it. :)

:cheers:

Last edited:
as rightly said by santhol, cheers means thanks, on a happy note. you can also say "thank you!!" when you are sarcastic, or when you are really thankful. But cheers is almost always happily thanking you.

If sign-off statements are meaningless, in these times, i can suggest the following sign-off lines which have become universal.

I have done nothing wrong.

I am honest and my party president is honest.

The accusations of rudeness are unverified and unverifiable.

I cannot be held accountable for my bad language in a thread that is already closed.

Indian bowling is good.

I will only give you 5 seats.

Katrina and i are good friends ( i wish)

The mod will take his own course.

Regards (or regardless)

If sign-off statements are meaningless, in these times, i can suggest the following sign-off lines which have become universal.

I have done nothing wrong.

I am honest and my party president is honest.

The accusations of rudeness are unverified and unverifiable.

I cannot be held accountable for my bad language in a thread that is already closed.

Indian bowling is good.

I will only give you 5 seats.

Katrina and i are good friends ( i wish)

The mod will take his own course.

Regards (or regardless)

You left out the most important one......
NOM (No Offence Meant)..... :eek:hyeah:

A thousand apologies and no offense to anyone, I think what moktan is saying repetitive and irrelevant use of any sign off words like "cheers" "Best Regards" "Warmest Regards" "No offence" "Thousand Apologies" loses its meaning and value. for eg.

~ "For using abusive language you are banned"
Cheers

~ "Sorry to hear that you spilled beer on your amp and amp got burnt. Hope it gets repaired soon."
Cheers

~ "Sorry to hear about demise of your friend's uncle by hypothermia"
Warmest Regards

~ "My wife delivered a baby boy yesterday"
Thanks everyone

~ "Sorry to hear you got divorced"
Yours faithfully

my kindest, bestest and warmest regards and cheers :cheers:
Hiten

A thousand apologies and no offense to anyone, I think what moktan is saying repetitive and irrelevant use of any sign off words like "cheers" "Best Regards" "Warmest Regards" "No offence" "Thousand Apologies" loses its meaning and value. for eg.

Cheers

~ "Sorry to hear that you spilled beer on your amp and amp got burnt. Hope it gets repaired soon."
Cheers

Warmest Regards

Thanks everyone

Yours faithfully

Hiten

HILARIOUS!

But, hiten, some people use sign-off's quite sincerely and some don't. either way, it's doing no harm. And the fact remains that "cheers" is a simple, efficient way of signing off and it communicates general goodwill even when one signs off on a overall negative post. It shows the poster's willingness to end on a good note despite everything.

Now one can read as much as one wants to in innocuous words, statements. And we all know how easy it is to do that on such forums.

This thread is becoming meaningless. Because I see a non-issue becoming a major issue.

So, sincerely, no offense meant to anyone, but I for one WILL not add more words to this inanity.

and yes!

CHEERS!

Not sure this is the right thread to mention this but I have noticed some members with loud signatures. Red color and sometimes in bold with a font size too big. It is an eye sore!

Not all posts are censored. There are quite a few posts filled with utterly tasteless innuendos which are mostly left untouched.

takingitseriously.jpg

Cheers

Cheers

Warmest Regards

Thanks everyone

Yours faithfully

Hiten

long a while it has been that i have a smile when i have logged into this forum-

but right now - hiten - thanks and hehehehehehehehehehe!:):):):lol::lol::lol:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back