Why Vinyl prices are aiming to reach sky high?

jmascreen

I was just recalling, when I started the hobby of listening vinyls the average prices would vary from 50 bucks to the max 300 Rs and the highest priced one was Veer Zara collectors edition (around 2011/12). Yesterday I was browsing for couple of titles and got a shocker there are no vinyls available below 500 Rs, and the one which I am looking are listed with four zero's and the average generic ones are listed on average price of 1500.

Is/Was there any huge demand which can justify an 100% price appreciation? Are people still spending a fortune to buy their favorite LP/EP's?

It’s a supply demand situation now. It’s further messed up because the new vinyls of old Bollywood films are terrible and priced at 1500. So this gave an opportunity to sellers of original records to hike their prices.

I think launching of old titles was the biggest disservice. Quality sucks and all it did was jack up the prices of original pressings.

Good question. Thanks for raising it. Very
relevant. Even I'm totally perplexed by the same.

When I said I'm letting go away my rare ACDs, folks were not ready to purchase at half the MRP & they wanted me to let go at half the price of a pre-rec cassette!

Will follow this thread to know about this Vinyl maze!

It’s a supply demand situation now. It’s further messed up because the new vinyls of old Bollywood films are terrible and priced at 1500. So this gave an opportunity to sellers of original records to hike their prices.

I think launching of old titles was the biggest disservice. Quality sucks and all it did was jack up the prices of original pressings.
So true. The high prices don't even justify the inconsistent quality of vinyl you get today. A lot of them come scuffed and scratched right out of the sealed sleeve. Also mastering is not as good as the old days. The used vinyl(NM/EX) at similar prices from the 70's/80's on discogs/ebay is most of the time in better condition than the sealed stuff you get today.

when the world is moving towards digital ....there are a few of us who are still buying Vinyl and CD's ....Sellers know this and they come across people who are willing to pay that kind of money .....

Used CD's on olx are priced at anything between 500 to 3000 ......same is case with Vinyl ....this market will continue in this manner for some time atleast ..

Even Reputed sellers (Old Shops) are selling their stuff at these prices ....

For example a Gupt OR Taal Audio CD released by Sony DADC is being sold for 1500 ...

In Mumbai I saw a lot of Audio Shop / Distributors buying audio cd's in bulk during sale from Paper Pallete and now they are selling it for these prices

Even a flea market seller knows the newer one are digital and not sounding as good as the older ones. where do they get this knowledge? I asked one such vendor the same question and he politely replied that my kids are now educated and they get the prices similar to what local online sellers sell.

Good question. Thanks for raising it. Very
relevant. Even I'm totally perplexed by the same.

When I said I'm letting go away my rare ACDs, folks were not ready to purchase at half the MRP & they wanted me to let go at half the price of a pre-rec cassette!

Will follow this thread to know about this Vinyl maze!
Hi sir I am interested in buying your audio CDs , hindi & Kannada audio CDs

I have not purchased any vinyl for long for this reason. The prices have become simply unreasonable. I used to shop used vinyls from kolkata mostly where good old titles can be had for Rs 100-150 max. Now, they ask for at least Rs. 500 for titles of average or below average music just in the name of vinyl. Doesn't matter for me, I have already built my small collection of the music I like hence there's is seldom an itch to buy vinyls.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back