Wireless signals and audiophiles

gobble

Folks

I was just firming up plans for a wireless home, keyboard, mouse, ipod touch, home network media server using wireless router. Concern is how much will these signals cause EMI/RF interference in audio setup?

What about those wireless phone handsets that run at 2ghz or 5ghz?

Will it introduce "colourations" into the audio chain?

Regards

Me knows that suri :)

well, the first time i saw that video - i started praying to god, i held that phone away from my about-to-be-fried head - was really psyched!

Like the time we got info about BVO in fanta - had been swilling that stuff for many years, and here i was - cardiac-compromised with all that fanta at the age of 28! - got pains in my chest and was ready to book the wood for my pyre!:)

gobble, sorry for away-from-line post! forgive me.

Last edited:
Tube equipment may be slightly susceptible, and any unshielded wires should be kept clear of any emission equipment (routers and such).

It's not a major issue. I have a wireless router just under my HTPC, and a 2.4GHz wireless keyboard, and it's no problem. If I keep my cellphone right next to the amp it goes crazy when a call comes in, but what do you expect from something that can actually pop corn?

should tube equipment not be less susceptible? one of the reasons they (tubes) were used in aircraft (military and aviation electronics) was owing to their lower susceptibility to EMF. of course, WiFi and EMF are possibly totally different animals

High impedance = susceptibility to interference and noise pickup. This can be avoided with high-quality PCBs for high impedance applications (such as medical diagnosis equipment that operate in the teraohm region.
But as we know, the 'best' tube equipment is wired point-to-point, so any external interference causes issues of noise.

Cranky,
I did not understand the relationship. Are you saying that the input stage of tubes have high impedance? And because of this, any induced current will create a magnified voltage because of the higher impedance?
And if the wiring is point-point, where is the question of high impedance? Or are you saying that because of point-point, there is no buffer in between to isolate noise between amplifier stages? Sorry, I am a little confused by the wording so wanted clarity.

Thanks,
Ajinkya.

Hey , There is no reason to be Racist !!

somebody took the bait!

well, hi sound_advice, i was merely describing those people who live east of india.

the native red indians of north america called the white (british) settlers - "BATURE" - which meant "skinless people" - they could not come to terms with the lack of colour of skin in those persons! - they were not racist - they merely described those people the best they could.

and hey, i have quite a few malaysian and ethnic chinese friends who describe us dravidian indians as brown sambhar-eaters! - they are not racist - merely describing a people the best they can.

and if i say some of the negroes of africa resemble the orangutans of malaysia (especially the ones in nigeria who dye their hair an orange colour), i am just describing their appearance!

and i quote - "Racism is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.[1] In the case of institutional racism, certain racial groups may be denied rights or benefits, or get preferential treatment."-
unquote

on a different track - forum members would have read about the arrest of T. Nazeer, most-wanted terrorist who blew up people in bangalore in Allah's cause - well, he is from Kannur, and used to live 50 metres from where i live.
this is a person who lived in india, with all the benefits that accrue from living in a free country like india, yet chose to kill his own people in name of a god.
Well, if i chose to describe him, i could, and that very graphically in the most colorful terms - and that would definitely be racist - they are inferior, less-intelligent, euthanisable human beings- they do not belong!

no sound_advice - i was not being racist - those people who live east of india are chinky-eyed and yellow skinned!:) - and also do not have chest-hair just like salman khan and unlike sunny deol and, perhaps, unlike serena and venus williams!

Last edited:
I for one never think twice about such frivolous name calling but with a smile :)

All this political correctness makes me nauseate :cool: and I did make a few posts in other threads that were deliberately sexist ... :clapping: purely for fun :eek:hyeah:

Regards

Hmmm ... When I mentioned going wireless at home , I meant bathing in RF day and night in all rooms until I start glowing like a radioactive Blob! :)

And my rooms definitely do not extend to 100 feet. so the wireless signals are going be omnipresent and "strong" for practical purposes.

It wil be interesting to know if anyone observed wireless routers and handsets interfere with tube audio gear?

Regards

political correctness can of course be an overkill...but then we underestimate the diversity of India if we allow ourselves to imagine that yellow chinks populate only those regions in the east, beyond the borders of our country..closer at home and in the north east we do find an entire body of people fitting into those definitions of skin color and eye sizes....their inconspicuousness in this forum notwithstanding...

political correctness can of course be an overkill...but then we underestimate the diversity of India if we allow ourselves to imagine that yellow chinks populate only those regions in the east, beyond the borders of our country..closer at home and in the north east we do find an entire body of people fitting into those definitions of skin color and eye sizes....their inconspicuousness in this forum notwithstanding...

Moktan
I have to tell you - you are negatively influenced by the Indian media. If you've ever read about media control (who owns private stock them) and how they have their own agenda .. I have been watching the media very closely since many years now.The major media houses in India are even surreptitiously anti-national - out to create divisions within people. There is a very active effort involved in creating a sense of disharmony within people even as the "sheep" amongst them stand in front of the camera cry their hurt about the damage being caused to the Nation ex: during 26/11. I am referring to the metaphor given by George Orwell in Animal Farm ("four legs good, two legs bad") if you know what I mean.

I read many articles in Indian media about how people from the north-east are made to feel like outsiders in India. The truth is - the sense of alienation they talk about can be felt and is really felt by all kinds of people all over the world living in overcrowded cities - from NY to LA to Mumbai to Tokyo. Try reading any modern literature and you cannot escape the angst of people struggling within societies - it is a world wide phenomenon. Even western music videos on MTV commonly portray this angst - I'm sure you've seen many over the years. Yet in the Indian media it is specifically attributed to Indian culture and attitudes. As if there is something monstrous about it - a Dragon that needs Slaying. These type of articles are "churned out" and deliberately worded to stir feelings of "otherness" in people. The "oh so well read" Indian English journalists and columnists suddenly pretend to be ignorant about the universal condition of man as he struggles with his spirituality in a modern materialistic world, and display little or no exposure to the wealth of literature available in this regard. Simply because they will not get published unless they introduce a "slant" in their stories. There is an ongoing systematic effort to brain-wash Indian people into polarities and opposing "warring" camps, if you have any well read perspective and idea about the realities of modern media and propaganda globally.

And if you believe the central government is neglecting the NE, just do a study of hard facts and count the crores invested in the NE since 1950s. You will be in for a shock!! And you will want to hang you own local leaders and politicians for the corruption they've displayed, not the "Indians" of the central plains.

Personally I can say in 25+ years I've never heard the term "Chinki" being used in a manner that is derogatory - it is used frivolously and light heartedly just like Sikhs are called Surdies, Keralites are called Mallus, Bengalies are called Bongs and a shortie is called Chottu and a fatso called a Motu.

If you believe otherwise, I will say you are a victim of the Indian brain washing campaign. Even Tammmies and Mallus, or Kannadigas and Tammies or Northies and Southies have a minor "us vs them" mentality if you don't know already. But it is NOT the same as systemic discrimination. More often it is a matter of adjustment as you relocate to different parts of the country. If you haven't realized it already, simply learning the local language can do wonders to help you blend in and feel accepted. Try touring France and speaking English to everyone - I will guarantee you that you will be insulted and abused in every province that you visit. The same goes here.

And lets not make the mistake of using the few bad personal experiences to generalize it as racial differentiation. If a Southie has had a few personal fights with Northies in his life, its NOT Aryans vs Dravidian's and likewise every instance where a White attacks a black does not an indicate a systematic and ingrained racist cultural bias. We all face trivial forms of rejection daily in our lives from strangers and an essential part of maturing is to learn to get on with it, look at what we can do to be more acceptable and how we can learn to feel more accepted by others.

Regards

Last edited:
I appreciate your thoughts Gobble.
Media is a good business. The "News" are readily available. Even if they don't have any video of news they show slides moving from all side of tv screen, zoom in zoom out, draw red circles, repeat in loops. They can make a full two day story about poor child stuck in a tube well, while they are totally ignorant about thousand of children dying of malnutrition.
Even if anyone doesn't watch these news channels it affects you because it has good influence on society as a whole. Control/ownership of media is biggest asset a political party has. Most Political parties have successfully carved out their vote share by using religion now comes regionalism and language divide.

and the thread comes full circle.....from electro-magnetic interference to racism and back :)

Yes, generally tube amps have much higher input (and output) impedance than SS equivalents, and they operate in voltage mode.

Any airborne interference introduces current into any conductor (electromagnetic induction) in its path. For a given amount of induction, the amount of voltage changed depends on the induced current (stronger signals will have a stronger effect) and the impedance of the path in which the conductor lies (the higher the impedance, the greater the change in voltage for a given current - V=I*R).

Gobble - to mention from personal experience, I have no interference or noise with wireless USB and mouse and they are quite near the Lyrita tube amplifier.

Now about the other part - Moktan, I felt did not accuse India of depriving the North Eastern region of a good budget or development!:).

I guess all he was saying was that slant eyed and yellow colour could very well refer to many living in Arunachal Pradesh. Not just Chinese. But that is only my guess.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back