World Cinema

Some of the movies mentioned here are just brilliant! Akira Kurosawa was a great master of his time. Rashomon and 7 Samurai come to mind...

And Chan woon park, I havent seen much of his films, but if memory serves right he did direct Old Boy. What a film, (and what a pathetic copy is Zinda, except for the wonderful soudtrack by Strings!)

For all the people trying to buy these films or rent them, there are a few places I can suggest, what I know of:

If you are looking at renting these, then you can try any Cinema Paradiso (what a film by the way!) stores in Chennai or any other major city in India, or Tic Tac.

If you are looking at buying them, then I suggest Parsons complex in Chennai, Lokhandwala Complex (i forget the name of the shop) in Mumbai

Amazon is another good way of buying these films.

DEAR SURI,

IF VIOLENCE IS YOUR PIECE OF CAKE THEN YOU CAN CONSIDER WATCHING SALO: o le 120 giornate di Sodoma By Pier Paolo Pasolini.

Now trust me when I say this, you must have a stomach to watch this film. Its gross, ugly, violent, and downright disgusting, but the director (one of my favorites as I mentioned) conveys a meaning much deeper than that what is visible to eye. He speaks through what is visible to the mind.

It is a lesson in excellent film making, but I would suggest you stay away from it if you have a feint heart.

51%2BdwY7dc3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

By a strange act of coincidence I am just now (1600 Hrs on 17 May 2009) watching the above movie of Akira Kurosawa in WB Channel. WB is showing a series of award winning world movies under their banner called 'Cinametheque'.

Dreams is a set of small clippings each of which is a dream.

Frankly most of the dreams are dark and foreboding. I liked just three of the eight - one in which a budding artists 'walks' into a Vincent Van Gogh painting and meets with the real painter himself. Van Gogh has a bandage round his head, and explains he had cut his own ears off as he could not paint them properly.

In the Watermill Village, an young man chances upon a village with no name where people live without any modern appliance or devices including electricity. They have no temples and just carry the dead upto a cemetery on top of a hill. This is a classic case of the fight between modern living and living with nature.

In another dream, an army platoon commander walks through a small road tunnel after he is pushed through by an angry growling dog. When he reaches the other end, he hears a soldier marching through the tunnel. He turns around and see one of the soldiers from the platoon standing before him. His whole platoon had been killed, and he starts fighting a battle with own mind to accept the fact and his own failure. This is worsened when his own platoon walks through the tunnel and stands before him. I could understand the torment the commander was going through in his own mind.

I was surprised to learn this movie was with made George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. And, Martin Scorsese acts as Van Gogh!

WoW!

Must get my hands on this and other DVDs of Akira Kurosawa.

For those who are interested Moser Baer has released a set of World Movies, though they are not cheap.

Cheers

Anyone seen this new Ladhaki movie titled "Frozen"?

It is an Indian movie made in Hindi and Ladakhi language with English sub-titles. Debutant director Shivajee Chandrabhushan (35) is also the producer of Frozen (February 2007).

This is the first Hindi movie after 40 years to be shot and released in B&W.

Frozen: A warm Ladakhi fare

Frozen has already won 18 awards and critical acclaim all over the world, including the British Independent Film Awards, European Film Awards, Spirit Awards, Gotham Awards, Dubai International Film Festival, Los Angeles LGBT People of Color Film Festival, Artivist Film Festival and Stockholm Film Festival. It has won the Special Jury Prize at Delhis Osians-CineFan and has toured 30 film festivals including Toronto Film Festival.

Would love to pick a Moser Baer DVD of it

Regards

seventymm has shut down.....a few days back, they came home, took back the last DVD (sex, lies and videotape) and gave me a refund cheque. very very sad, i really loved their service .

Seventymm does have a world cinema section, but not sure how is the selection.

UTV World Movies is a good channel if you get it or can have your cable operator air it.

seventymm has shut down.....a few days back, they came home, took back the last DVD (sex, lies and videotape) and gave me a refund cheque. very very sad, i really loved their service .

Oh, bad news. I had an account and wife was very happy with it. She got to watch a Telugu/Hindi movie a day and the service too was very cheap compared to my local DVD rental. Only grouch was I never really got the movies I queued in the English section, but still they were good for the service they provided inclusive of pickup and delivery. I've been traveling the last 5-6 weeks and hence did not renew it. So only BigFlix remains. I've always wanted such a service in India having seen how Netflix works, but it seems India is not yet ready for such service.

oh! i paid the deposit about two years back when they launched and never used the service. Where do I go for a refund now?

Regards

Among the foreign language films that I liked are,

Pans Labyrinth (watched the Spanish one) Fantastic special effects
Das Boot German, World War submarine drama
Colour of Paradise Iranian
Rashomon - Japanese unique story telling
Cinema Paradiso Italian
Life is Beautiful Italian
Hero Chinese has some superb audio/visual sequences

I just remembered, you guys in Delhi are lucky. If you get a Hathway connection, you have a 24 hour channel for World Cinema.

Cheers

i would also recommend flicks by LARS VON TRIER (Europa trilogy especially) and other movies made in the Dogme school started by Trier and Vinterberg...some of Dogme's postulates may seem idiosyncratic and pretentious but the movement has tried to rescue the art of movie making from the trap of big budgets and over reliance on technology...besides of course giving unknown film makers a platform to show case their creativity...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back