Worried About The Disappearance of Music CDs From The Market

At this situation of disappearance of CD, there is a possible way to CD/digital file collection, and that is sharing among friends and known ones. Sharing of CD in a copiable format (wav rip or CD image) can be the only possible solution in this situation. One can either make a CD or listen to it directly in a computer. Since there is presently no streaming service that streams CD quality audio, this approach of sharing can be helpful.

Now, there a question may arise that do copied CD sounds same to the source? To address this issue, please visit this thread, its about a blindfold test about whether sound degrades/changes during CD copying or not. This thread may answere this question.
agree with this.but there has to be a group or thng for that.i too am ripping my cds to flac and wav.

agree with this.but there has to be a group or thng for that.i too am ripping my cds to flac and wav.
Yeah...i have also ripped my cds way back and now it's only flac or wav.
Sadly enough only online Indian store for digital files is saregama afaik.

Not only Saregama, the new edition of old Tseries titles(such as Aashiqui, etc..) are also of very poor quality. In fact I would say they are poorer than MP3 or YOUTUBE quality

Quality of Audio CDs is dicey affair. You never knows what you will get. I bought mallikarjun Mansur Audio CD comparatively priced quite high. But recording is very very disappointing. Besides both channels are mono in original cd. Even you tube video sounds good. But Since I like the music I have kept the audio cd.
For comparison see attached pic. Original CD has nothing above 5K on average. Where as audio from youtube video comparatively looks like have more fundamental content. (ignore the probable noise (?) levels in purple ).
Regards

Attachments

• Quality.jpg
    Quality.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 21
Quality of Audio CDs is dicey affair. You never knows what you will get. I bought mallikarjun Mansur Audio CD comparatively priced quite high. But recording is very very disappointing. Besides both channels are mono in original cd. Even you tube video sounds good. But Since I like the music I have kept the audio cd.
For comparison see attached pic. Original CD has nothing above 5K on average. Where as audio from youtube video comparatively looks like have more fundamental content. (ignore the probable noise (?) levels in purple ).
Regards
Could be unrelated to your problem, but I have been dissatisfied with all of Pt Mansur’s recordings whether CD or streaming. I wonder why, as compared to his contemporaries, his recordings sound unclear and compressed. What a loss!

I had his LP but didn't noticed sound quality that time, and it was sold because music (ragas) were not to my liking. I was comparing it to youtube video sound quality. even compared to that the cd sounds bad. If I may dare and say most of bollywood music and Indian classical recording quality is okayish but not top notch (according to my cloth ears.) but the content compensate for such things and I enjoy it regardless.
regards

I buy a ton of stuff on Amazon.com including CDs. I guess that's one option - but you need to beg friends, colleagues, relatives, etc. to carry them over.

Tidal is another option - its a small price to pay for unlimited high quality music streaming. Also, now they are allowing downloads so you can slowly build your collection this way, but not all albums are just yet available for downloading though.

Yet another option is paying for downloads. Many legal sites are there, but they will need a VPN because they are region restricted. But on the upside they offer high res downloads, which is audiophile speak for "I want to sell you your entire music collection again and again - in multiple formats".

But CDs are available, maybe not locally, but they can be found - just needs more searching. This year my collection crossed 2500 CDs - most folks think I'm crazy listening to redbook in the age of DSD - but unfortunately 99% of my music is available in redbook only. But the good thing with CDs is they last a lifetime, I still have CDs that my parents bought in the 80s when I was a kid. They read and rip perfectly even today.

More than Amazon.com Japan is a treasure trove for audio CDs, especially the high quality studio mastered ones. I've tons of them that are truly audiophile/reference grade and they also ship all over the world.
If you are taking about india, cds were first launched somewhere in 1994-1995 not in 80s. I bought my first cd in 1995 when these were just introduced.

If you are taking about india, cds were first launched somewhere in 1994-1995 not in 80s. I bought my first cd in 1995 when these were just introduced.
Google threw up these links

Google threw up these links

Wow, great find! Nice of India Today to digitise their back issues (this was 1989 article).

How fast technology changes/evolves! We saw this technology (CD players) introduced, grow, mature, ebb, and now dying in a matter of 20 years, right before our eyes (or ears, for that matter).

And that price - Rs 10000! You got color TV and fridges cheaper than that back then. Purchase parity wise 10k then would be almost 2 lacs today!

Ghazals were the rage in the late eighties. And the new wave Ghazal singers (Jagjit, Pankaj Udhas, Talat Aziz) ensured their production was top notch - their records have mostly aged well. Pretty sure that like Udhas here, the other singers would also have found CDs to be a God-send medium. It’s interesting that the leading musicians of that day saw CDs as a sonic improvement over cassettes, while a category of audiophiles today would strongly differ.

Aside: The other news items in that article also took one down the memory lane. Kiran Juneja was one of the TV crushes for my generation. Also the news on Mithun da - his political journey started with an ideology (and was rooted in activism) but has progressed (?) like that of many actors who entered politics - chasing the strongest party of the time - from communists to Congress to Shiv Sena to Trinamool to BJP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, great find! Nice of India Today to digitise their back issues (this was 1989 article).

How fast technology changes/evolves! We saw this technology (CD players) introduced, grow, mature, ebb, and now dying in a matter of 20 years, right before our eyes (or ears, for that matter).

And that price - Rs 10000! You got color TV and fridges cheaper than that back then. Purchase parity wise 10k then would be almost 2 lacs today!

Ghazals were the rage in the late eighties. And the new wave Ghazal singers (Jagjit, Pankaj Udhas, Talat Aziz) ensured their production was top notch - their records have mostly aged well. Pretty sure that like Udhas here, the other singers would also have found CDs to be a God-send medium. It’s interesting that the leading musicians of that day saw CDs as a sonic improvement over cassettes, while a category of audiophiles today would strongly differ.

Aside: The other news items in that article also took one down the memory lane. Kiran Juneja was one of the TV crushes for my generation. Also the news on Mithun da - his political journey started with an ideology (and was rooted in activism) but has progressed (?) like that of many actors who entered politics - chasing the strongest party of the time - from communists to Congress to Shiv Sena to Trinamool to BJP.
Mithun Da needs to give himself a sartorial makeover. I would not want to be seen dead in that hat.

There are lot of WhatsApp group where people are selling audio CDs that too in sealed condition brand new as well as in Mint condition...In last 1 year I was able to buy around 300-400 CDs

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back