Worth buying a PS3 from Dubai?

vishalj

Hi,

One of my friend is returning from Dubai in August and am planning to get a PS3 from there as its about 2-2.5k cheaper than in India. But had few doubts:

(1) Whether the games available in India, work on this PS3?
(2) Would I have any problem to use PSN in India?
(3) Whether the Blu rays and DVDs available in India work on this PS3? As far as I know, this PS3 would have Bluray region code of B while its C in India. Have no idea about the DVD region code there. Whether this will be a big problem or most of the Blu rays/DVDs in India are all region/region free?

Also, apart from this is there any other issues I am missing out?

I don't wont to repent later just to save 2k now:) So any help would be appreciated...

First of all you will lose 1year warrenty that sony provides,games are not region coded so you can play all the games and psn wont be a issue,you can buy region free blurays,dvd will be region free in ps3.wise decision is to buy it here itself,hassle free.

Hi,

One of my friend is returning from Dubai in August and am planning to get a PS3 from there as its about 2-2.5k cheaper than in India. But had few doubts:

(1) Whether the games available in India, work on this PS3?
(2) Would I have any problem to use PSN in India?
(3) Whether the Blu rays and DVDs available in India work on this PS3? As far as I know, this PS3 would have Bluray region code of B while its C in India. Have no idea about the DVD region code there. Whether this will be a big problem or most of the Blu rays/DVDs in India are all region/region free?

Also, apart from this is there any other issues I am missing out?

I don't wont to repent later just to save 2k now:) So any help would be appreciated...

If you are just saving 2-2.5 k, I dont see the point of getting it from there as on top things, you are losing warranty too. I got mine from the US 1.5 yrs back and it was 14,500 and I managed to save close to 6k that time.

20% of ps3 lenses create issues in that 1year.friend of mine changed the lenses within 3 months.

First of all you will lose 1year warrenty that sony provides,games are not region coded so you can play all the games and psn wont be a issue,you can buy region free blurays,dvd will be region free in ps3.wise decision is to buy it here itself,hassle free.

PS3 is NOT region-free for DVDs. At least the PS3 available in India is region coded to Region B for blu-rays and Region 5 for DVDs.

Games are region-free. So, make your decision based on what DVDs and blu-rays you already have, and on which DVDs and blu-rays you will be purchasing in the future. Blu-rays are mostly region-free. It is the DVDs which usually create a problem for region-coding.

PS3 is NOT region-free for DVDs. At least the PS3 available in India is region coded to Region B for blu-rays and Region 5 for DVDs.

Games are region-free. So, make your decision based on what DVDs and blu-rays you already have, and on which DVDs and blu-rays you will be purchasing in the future. Blu-rays are mostly region-free. It is the DVDs which usually create a problem for region-coding.

Yup, you will have probs playing DVD content. My US PS3 does not play PAL DVD as its NTSC. But then I rarely play DVD content nowadays as I use PS3 media server to stream all content from PC and in that way, you will not even have any region issues.

Thanks all of you... I think it makes more sense for me to get PS3 from here itself, mainly on account of warranty issue... So it will be India only then :)

So now question is where to buy it from?? Flipkart was selling it at a really reasonable price until yesterday at 21.5k, but now its at 23.5k (for 320 GB with move bundle). So I might have to look at other options :). In croma and other stores too its at 23.5k. Any suggestions??

There is a seller in bangalore offered for 21.5k. Check ebay listings for bangalore seller.

Thanks all of you... I think it makes more sense for me to get PS3 from here itself, mainly on account of warranty issue... So it will be India only then :)

So now question is where to buy it from?? Flipkart was selling it at a really reasonable price until yesterday at 21.5k, but now its at 23.5k (for 320 GB with move bundle). So I might have to look at other options :). In croma and other stores too its at 23.5k. Any suggestions??

If you are interested in the Move, you can opt for that bundle. Not sure what kinda gamer you are. But if you are a couch potato, go for the 21k bundle. If you prefer watching movies on the PS3, its worth getting the PS3 Bluray remote and may be this can be sourced from Dubai and will work out cheaper!

If you are interested in the Move, you can opt for that bundle. Not sure what kinda gamer you are. But if you are a couch potato, go for the 21k bundle. If you prefer watching movies on the PS3, its worth getting the PS3 Bluray remote and may be this can be sourced from Dubai and will work out cheaper!

I am more of a couch potato, but would also like to try my hands on move. Had played wii at a friend's house and that experience was amazing.. So am more interested in move bundle...

And yes, one of the main reason to prefer PS3 over other gaming consoles is that its a very good blu ray player... So I would be watching movies on it too. I have a Sony Bravia LCD and its remote has Bravia sync, so was wondering whether the same can be used as remote for PS3 too?? If not then would surely get one, from Dubai esp. :)

And thanks zervinb and kittu1977. I checked out the site and the discount coupon...the final price indeed works out to be 20499...Thats great :) But how is letsbuy.com?? Have not tried that out yet.. And any idea for how long this discount code work?? I don't want to order in a hurry but also don't want to miss out on this discount :)

I am more of a couch potato, but would also like to try my hands on move. Had played wii at a friend's house and that experience was amazing.. So am more interested in move bundle...

And yes, one of the main reason to prefer PS3 over other gaming consoles is that its a very good blu ray player... So I would be watching movies on it too. I have a Sony Bravia LCD and its remote has Bravia sync, so was wondering whether the same can be used as remote for PS3 too?? If not then would surely get one, from Dubai esp. :)

Ofcourse, with Bravia Sync you can use the remote to control PS3 XMB and play content!

Go for COD option. So at least your money is with you until you get the product in your hand.

I read reviews about letsbuy.com and most of the users had a very bad experience of buying from that site. So am now bit sceptical about placing order on it, even on COD basis.. Does anyone here have made purchase from letsbuy.com??

@vishal..the site is good...i bought 1tb hdd from the site..and it reached safely..no problem at all.
and always get ur ps3 from india as even after warranty...if ps3 gets conked..u will get a new ps3 at 50% of the market price for the next 3 yrs.while out of region(other than india) ps3's will not able to get it replaced.

@vishal..the site is good...i bought 1tb hdd from the site..and it reached safely..no problem at all.
and always get ur ps3 from india as even after warranty...if ps3 gets conked..u will get a new ps3 at 50% of the market price for the next 3 yrs.while out of region(other than india) ps3's will not able to get it replaced.

Ya, same question as kittu1977, can u elaborate your point??
And just a quick update friends... I placed my order for PS3 with Move Start Bundle from letsbuy.com (thanks again to zervinb and kittu1977) on 25th. Expecting the delivery tomorrow as Aramex wbesite shows that my parcel has reached its Mubai Operations facility. Have also ordered Uncharted 2 from flipkart and some blu rays from amazon uk.. So eagerly waiting for my PS3 now :yahoo:

@kittu.
according to sony's new policy...if ur ps3 was bought from india and if it gets spoilt when the console is still in warranty period..u get a free replacement.After the warranty gets over...and for the next 3 yrs from the expiry of the warranty...if ur console gets spoilt...u will have to pay 50% of the ps3 price. and this is vaild only for ps3's bought in india.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back