Would an External DAC make any difference in my setup?

ashishkesarwani

Guys recently I have upgraded my Ipod dock to a digital transport one from Onkyo and the model number is ND-S1, the link to the same is here:Onkyo Europe - ND-S1 now what this dock actually does is that it takes out signal from an Ipod in the digital format rather than using Ipod's own DAC, I now have the option of using the DAC of my AVR and in this case an Onkyo Nr905, which has burrbrown DAC.
Now my question is that would adding an external DAC from the likes of Beresford or similar make any difference to the sound quality or should I be ok with my existing setup. My budget for external DAC if the need arises is 10K. I also don't have any plans of buying a CD player as I store all my music in digital format in the apple lossless format.

ashishkesarwani

i never tested with ipod .. but with pc(laptop) as a source you want to use, you must invest in a dac and you will see drastic difference.

But in this case does it make sense to buy a Beresford ( around its price range) DAC which could give me a significant improvement, or should I be ok with the Burrbrown DAC of my AVR. I think that I should test it physically first with the help of fellow Hifivision members who would lend me an External DAC to test in my setup. This test would confirm whether Is there a significant improvement between an external and an internal one of my AVR?

Invitation and suggestions required from the fellow members and specially from around Delhi from whom I could borrow their DAC for the above testing.

Invitation and suggestions required from the fellow members and specially from around Delhi from whom I could borrow their DAC for the above testing.[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to be of help. We could try to check if it makes sense to connect your IPOD to my Beresford.

--
helium

Invitation and suggestions required from the fellow members and specially from around Delhi from whom I could borrow their DAC for the above testing.

I'm willing to be of help. We could try to check if it makes sense to connect your IPOD to my Beresford.

--
helium[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your offer of help.

Pm sent with contact details.

--
helium

Thanks for your offer of help.

Pm sent with contact details.[/QUOTE]

When is this happening i am also interested in a demo of the beresford

Guys, finally I have managed to lay my hands on a Beresford DAC to test in my setup. Courtesy : Sumit.
Will test it in my setup and post the results tomorrow.

But in this case does it make sense to buy a Beresford ( around its price range) DAC which could give me a significant improvement, or should I be ok with the Burrbrown DAC of my AVR. I think that I should test it physically first with the help of fellow Hifivision members who would lend me an External DAC to test in my setup. This test would confirm whether Is there a significant improvement between an external and an internal one of my AVR?

ashishkesarwani don't expect a day and night difference. Inorder to appreciate the difference you need to evolve. You can make the most of it by critical listening and for sure not back ground music.

So basically it boils down to how much change will it make so as to rock your boat.:)

helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakres: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

Guys I have managed to check the Beresford DAC in my setup and the results have been in favour of External DAC.
Earlier I was running my Ipod through the analogue output of the DA2X Dock but since the inception of the newer Digital Dock there has been vast improvement in the Quality of the music but it was also lacking someting to it and this gap was filled by introducing Beresford in between the Dock and the AVR.
When I connected the Digital Dock directly to the AVR, I felt that there was some sort of hollowness to the Music played through the Ipod and it also lacked a bit of Bass, but the most suprising fact was that even the lossless files were sounding like Mp3s, after that I added the Beresford and it did wonders to my setup and this time the Detailing was perfect without adding any extra bit of Brightness and the bass was well rounded off.
After this test I am left with no choice but to add an External DAC to my system and here the question arises that should I go with the Beresford or Cambridge Audio DAC magic which is twice the price of Beresford and right now out of stock.

Guys I have managed to check the Beresford DAC in my setup and the results have been in favour of External DAC.
Earlier I was running my Ipod through the analogue output of the DA2X Dock but since the inception of the newer Digital Dock there has been vast improvement in the Quality of the music but it was also lacking someting to it and this gap was filled by introducing Beresford in between the Dock and the AVR.
When I connected the Digital Dock directly to the AVR, I felt that there was some sort of hollowness to the Music played through the Ipod and it also lacked a bit of Bass, but the most suprising fact was that even the lossless files were sounding like Mp3s, after that I added the Beresford and it did wonders to my setup and this time the Detailing was perfect without adding any extra bit of Brightness and the bass was well rounded off.
After this test I am left with no choice but to add an External DAC to my system and here the question arises that should I go with the Beresford or Cambridge Audio DAC magic which is twice the price of Beresford and right now out of stock.

Im glad to know you appreciate the difference after connecting the external DAC.

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakres: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

Viren of Lyrita is in the process of developing a DAC with a valve output stage.
Have a word with him as to when it would be ready for audition.
Knowing Viren, its sure to be of very good quality & VFM.

I am too waiting eagerly for one :)

Viren of Lyrita is in the process of developing a DAC with a valve output stage.
Have a word with him as to when it would be ready for audition.
Knowing Viren, its sure to be of very good quality & VFM.

I had a breif discussion with Viren today in which I told him about my requirement as well as about the Tube DAC which Kamal has discussed, and he confirmed me that he is into developing one but its still 2 or 3 months away.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back