WTB! LCD/LED TV for <32K

Don't go for toshiba as of now...they already stopped manufacturing lcd for Japanese market...this trend may follow in India also.

Hi guys. an update.

so after much analysis (thanks to you guys!) and showroom hopping, finally came down to two choices,

1. Samsung 32EH5000
2. Samsung 42" E470 plasma ( I tried getting Panasonic plasma TVs within my budget, which is ~35k, but was not able to find it anywhere! As a result, considering Samsung now!)

The benefit with 42" E470 is that you are getting a whole 10" of extra screen width. The downside is the Samsung plasma screen is very reflective and will be painful in brightly lit rooms. The 32EH5000 is full HD while E470 is HD-Ready but that will not make much difference beyond 8'.

The 32EH5000 that I saw was pretty good. But noticed a small issue. I noticed that when a 1080p video is played from an USB drive, the video is staggered. That is, I can see a few frames dropped (not sure if this is the best way to describe it, but I hope you get the drift). The refresh rate of the TV is 60 hz (If I am not wrong). Is this phenomenon because of the refresh rate? Or is this normal. ?

I would attribute the problem to source and not the TV. But the plasma will have near instantaneous 0.001 ms response as opposed to the 2~3 ms response of EH5000.

Also, is the refresh rate too low for watching sports on tata sky HD? please advice.

Regarding the Samsung e470, I was pretty impressed overall. But read from a post here mentioning that it has USB play issues. Is this TV recommended considering the fact that Panasonic plasma TVs are unavailable for my budget?

Thanks !
The lower end TV's have a problem of reading large capacity USB drive. Some will not read large drives/disks at all. And my own Panasonic P50ST50D can read 1TB HDD but it takes ages to read it - takes nearly 10 minutes or so. This is because the TV's CPU is not as powerful; it does not have luxury of level 2 cache, buffers, large RAM, etc. Every time you plug in a USB disk, it is a fresh read and larger the disk, larger is the time taken. I am seriously thinking of buying a small capacity (like 256GB or less) HDD for TV purposes.

------------

My advice is as follows.
Do:
  • buy the TV for it Picture Quality
  • select the TV by playing the worst source possible, i.e., SD (everything else will always be better :lol:)
  • decide what you will watch most; if that is soap/TV serials, LED is a better bet; if movies/sports, plasma is better
  • try to squeeze the largest size possible within your budget :licklips:
  • find out the MTBF for the particular model/brand/company; lower the MTBF, the better it is
  • consider what the after sales service will be like
  • check out the file format support for playback via USB

Don't:
  • pay too much attention to SmartTV and such features
  • lay stress of what capacity disks the TV will support (file format support is important)
  • get carried away by form factor, slimness, sexy look, etc.
  • hype on 3D

The showroom is usually brilliantly lit; our homes are not. So TV that appeared brilliant in the shop appears too bright and even hurting at home.

Final word: The TV is meant to display video. Period. Choose the TV based on this factor alone. :cool:

Ordered the Samsung 43E470 plasma finally. Will be delivered in a few days time.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Was indeed very helpful. Thanks to Just4kix in particular !

:)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back