xonar stx

A_ashish_A

Hi guys, I am trying to get the best possible sound from my pc. My main focus will be listening music. I currently have a corsair sp2500 2.1 setup and senhieser 449 headphones using asus xonar dg sound card. but i think xonar dg is incapable of giving best music quality. so i m planning on to buy asus xonar STX. i wanna feedback from anyone using xonar STX. will it be a good investment for basically music satisfaction?

Its the best for the money (under 10K).

You'll get better SQ with the VDAC and the M1DAC but will need to spend a lot more.

Have not heard ODAC but its got good reviews too... but will cost a bit more.

DAC - digital to analog converter. Usually a computer sound card is both a DAC and ADC. But there are cards which are solely for D to A conversion. These can be connected to usb port of pc or spdif depending on the model.

Even more broken down..

Music stored in pc or cd is digital. Music played by speakers/headphone is analog.

Someone in the middle has to do the conversion. That is the job of a dac (digital to analog converter). PC sound cards like essence stx have an onboard dac, and they can output analog signal from rca, headphone, or stereo minijack outs (stx only has rca and headphone out). There are external dacs, which are a separate box and can take digital signals from a pc or cd player using coax, toslink, usb (only for pc) etc and convert it to analog to pass on to the speakers.

odac, vdac and m1dac are external dacs. essence stx is a pc sound card, with supposedly the best dac for a soundcard below 10k... arguably, the best dac below 15-18k.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back