Yamaha 367 + HTPC

sunilg

Hi All,
I want to buy a receiver which does not support Dloby TruHD and DTS MA (Yamaha RX-V367) and an HTPC with ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Card. Now, as far I know, PowerDVD 10 can bitstream Dloby TruHD and DTS MA, and also ATI Radeon HD 5000 series graphics cards can "transport" Dloby TruHD and DTS MA to the receiver which leaves the reciever to decode the soundtracks and send to 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system.

My question is, my receiver doesnt support Dloby TruHD and DTS MA and i still enable bitstreaming in PowerDVD 10, what happens then? Can the receiver decode it as normal Dolby or DTS soundtrack? can i still get a 5.1 or 7.1 sound over a single HDMI cable from graphics card to receiver? (of cource, im not talking about the receiver having only front left and right channel and makes a virtual 5.1 or 7.1, im talking about receiver having all the channels from the pc over a single hdmi and distribute it to respective speakers)

Also, if i disable bitstreaming PowerDVD does the decoding. Then what happens? As far I know, the decoded audio channels are in Liner PCM formats. Can all these channels (5.1 or 7.1) be transported over a single HDMI cable from graphics card to the receiver as LPCM format? ATI Radeon HD 5000 series specs says it can transport protected multichannel audio over HDMI like AAC, AC3, Dolby, DTS, Dloby TruHD and DTS MA.

PDVD10 will not show bitstream option in that case.It will show PCM decoded by PDVD & not Bitstream.
You should get regular DD/Dts out from HDMI(as specifications say)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back