Yamaha 863 or 663

jayantadak

Hi,

I am thinking on zeroing on the Yamaha 663 or the 863 AVR. My area is around 200 sq.ft. My tastes are 60% movies and 40% music. What do you suggest? I heard that 663 has no upscaling whereas the 863 has it. Would it matter ? If it does it matters would you let me know in what way, as I have also mentioned in another thread that i am naive to the 'upscaling technology".

One more thing if you suggest 663 without giving much of importance to the 'upscaling part', then how about 463. I would save a lot on 463, as 463 has nearly all the features of the 663 except the high wattage I suppose.

Let me know.

JAYANT

Yamaha 663 should suffice for you. Don't got for 863 just for upscaling feature.

If i were you i would settle for 663 and put that extra money in getting quality speakers/sub :)

463 wouldn't work well for 200 sq feet.

Thanks,
Senthil.

Decide on either 863 or 663 because they are more musical than traditional yamaha recievers. I am pretty happy with the sound signature coming out of a 863 and the 663 does equally well. Also there is support for HD audio via HDMI. This is a biggie for me.

I agree upscaling generally does not buy much esp with teh DVD players doing it now. However, one key differnce in teh 863 is that it can upscale even composite video to HDMI - which becomes a factor if you are viewing via hard disk based sources that only have composite (PCs, Cameras, WD...). In my opinion, the upscaling works well for such cases though dont expect anythign close to component or HDMI quality and which you shouldn't

Hi,

I am thinking on zeroing on the Yamaha 663 or the 863 AVR. My area is around 200 sq.ft. My tastes are 60% movies and 40% music. What do you suggest? I heard that 663 has no upscaling whereas the 863 has it. Would it matter ? If it does it matters would you let me know in what way, as I have also mentioned in another thread that i am naive to the 'upscaling technology".

One more thing if you suggest 663 without giving much of importance to the 'upscaling part', then how about 463. I would save a lot on 463, as 463 has nearly all the features of the 663 except the high wattage I suppose.

Let me know.

JAYANT

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back