Yamaha A860 Vs DENON 3300X

nirmal_kumar

HI

I have been using ONKYO 9300THX for past 5 Years..My Avr ( HTR-980 ) died recently .Hence I am trying to replace the AVR only. The speakers are 7.1 .
I may upgrade the speakers to towers later after couple of years

I have shortlisted 2 AVR

1. YAMAHA A860 ( Aventage series )
2. Denon 3300X

My usage is 80% MOVIE 15% gaming 5% music

FEW YEARS BACK I have auditioned onkyo AVR and denon AVR side by side with the same equipment and same source

ONKYO WAS MORE POWERFUL AND PUNCHY . SURROUNDS WERE CRISP AND SOUND WAS SO IMMERSIVE FOR MOVIES ...MUSIC WAS BAD IN ONKYO . DENON WAS GOOD FOR MUSIC .

Since I had a bad experience with Onkyo .. i dont want to buy Onkyo again ..

lot of forum members reccomend Denon for their AUDYSSEY AND future proof expandability.since I am upgrading now . I expect the new AVR to last atleast for another 8-10 yrs..but since I was not completely satisfied with denon sound , I am little skeptical to buy DENON.

I HAVENT AUDITIONED Yamaha before .. But its been regarded a lot for the reliability..Also there are a lot of comments on the Internet for YAMAHA natural sound and immersive surround sound which is wat i expect for movies ..but the model i mentioned is notorious for shutting down at high volumes and inconsistent power delivery especially for FLOOR STANDERS ...

Kindly Advice me on your pick between these two

Regards
Nirmal Kumar

I would prefer Denon over Yamaha for movies. Not sure which model you have auditioned earlier. You should audition both and decide which appeals to you.

I own Denon and I am happy with the performance. Once I audition Onkyo 600 series in stereo mode and feel Denon certainly sounds better . If you are not happy with Denon then you can try Marantz SR5012 which is similar to that of Denon 3300x with almost same features. Last if your Onkyo live upto Five years than you may have used to till last its ounce. Now the technology is changing so rapidly that most of the AVR becoming outdated within three to four years.This may be the best time to upgrade AVR as Dolby Atmos and DTS X are widely available for latest Blu-ray movie.

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk

Hi

I would suggest to audition the Marantz SR series and make then an informed decision.....Floor Standers etc work quite well....you can read the reviews and comments in the following threads...

Denon Owners Thread

Marantz Owners Thread

Yamaha Owners Thread

I am sure then you will be able to arrive at a logical conclusion.....after all you are the end user...you used see what appeals to your budget, functionality requirement etc...

Do look at the Pioneer Elite AVRs also. I have the SC-LX57 which is wonderful.
I think Profx have Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer.

HI

I have been using ONKYO 9300THX for past 5 Years..My Avr ( HTR-980 ) died recently .Hence I am trying to replace the AVR only. The speakers are 7.1 .

I have shortlisted 2 AVR

1. YAMAHA A860 ( Aventage series )
2. Denon 3300X

My usage is 80% MOVIE 15% gaming 5% music

Between the two Denon x 3300 for it has Audyssey XT32 capabilities..

I may upgrade the speakers to towers later after couple of years

You can consider retaining the speakers & add dual subwoofer's..

FEW YEARS BACK I have auditioned onkyo AVR and denon AVR side by side with the same equipment and same source

ONKYO WAS MORE POWERFUL AND PUNCHY . SURROUNDS WERE CRISP AND SOUND WAS SO IMMERSIVE FOR MOVIES ...MUSIC WAS BAD IN ONKYO . DENON WAS GOOD FOR MUSIC .

Few years back, Audyssey MutiEQ was the most common on affordable AVR's here.. So during your demo, any of the feature incorrectly engaged could have ruined the listening experience..

Since I had a bad experience with Onkyo .. i dont want to buy Onkyo again ..

lot of forum members reccomend Denon for their AUDYSSEY AND future proof expandability.since I am upgrading now . I expect the new AVR to last atleast for another 8-10 yrs..but since I was not completely satisfied with denon sound , I am little skeptical to buy DENON.

Since you are looking for an AVR to serve you for few years, you can consider Denon x 4300 (or) Maranz SR 6012, both being 9.2 AVR out of the ox, but capable of 11.2 (7.2.4) Atmos layout, which you can build over the years..

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back