Yamaha B2 VFET (Magical amplifier) REVIEW

krell

Yamaha B-2 on thevintageknob.org

Yamaha B2 VFET (Magical amplifier)

Hi friends finally I got the matching power amplifier for my pre amplifier C2,Read a lot of great reviews about vfet magical sound from yamaha B2.
Finally got my hands on Yamaha B2 power amplifier.
Its a beast in size and weight-26kg, very good build quality.
Finally kept in the amp in main listening room.
Krell KAV2250 is my main amp driving the power hungry JBL L300.
FRELL was removed and B2 was placed in krell place.
Pre amplifier is YAMAHA C2,PARASOUND C2.
Before stating the amp, amp was opened and cleaned all the contacts with deoxit to clean the contacts.
The amp was switched on, greeted with beautiful large meters. Just by looking them making a lot of joy.
Started the song HOTEL CALIFORNIA,,,,,,pure musical bliss, the sound is nothing similar to any SS amp that I had with me.
I had some of the good amps with me, krell KAV2250(250W*2),PS AUDIO GCA(250WX5 Chaneels)
The sound is very very good,its a pure magical sound.
It doesnt have the krell slam in bass region or the control of the PS AUDIO amplifier.
But the vfets is making some thing magic,its a complete different sound.
The vfets are becoming hot ,so kept 03 fans on the top of the amplifier for cooling.It is touch to warm, but i kept fans for better cooling.
will do a complete review in a few days.

Congrats Krell. It's a very good amp. Only Sony and Yamaha ventured into vfet amps. Both had a couple of models before they exited

In the current generation amps, you have Pass Sit 1 and Sit 2.

What a monstrous beauty :thumbsup:

BTW, Yamaha has recently launched the NSM5000, successor to the NSM1000. It's already garnering rave reviews from show goers.

Yes,i had ns1000m,but I exchanged for 100t3for personnel taste,,,,,btw ns 5000 doent coming with berilium drivers,,,,I am not sure.
Thanks amp is a heavy beast

What a monstrous beauty :thumbsup:

BTW, Yamaha has recently launched the NSM5000, successor to the NSM1000. It's already garnering rave reviews from show goers.

Jls the VFET is something different you cannot compare it with new gen amps.It have the most wonderful emotional transistor that I have ever heard and the only transistor which have triode like character better than a 300B amplifier if I am not wrong.

Its origin is from Japan and deployed by Sony & Yamaha.Its truly awesome I am using old Sony TA 4650 vfet as my main amp.Only issue is you cannot find any vfet in the current market.

You r true,i drove my L300 with both krell KSA200S& KAV2250(250wattsx2),KAV2250is my present amp,ypu can see it my setup,but the B2 sound is completely different,neverheard till date,some thing emotional and it draws towards you in to music like nothing,it becomes a great match for my setup now.
It's bass is not having Slam & dynamism like krell,but soft and rounded,easy to listen.and the meters are joy to watch with dimlight

Very nice Yamaha, did you buy locally and what price would it cost me to get one that is in as good a consition as yours.
It must sound great.....I would love to buy into these
Thankyou

Very nice Yamaha, did you buy locally and what price would it cost me to get one that is in as good a consition as yours.
It must sound great.....I would love to buy into these
Thankyou

Hi,B145,
I recently bought Yamaha b-2 in fair physical but good audio condition from Germany thru ebay,along with a Yamaha preamp c-45;both 240 volts for little less than 1k usd. Via post to Dubai,I do agree with the good comments posted by others about pleasing audio it produces..regards..murli

@krell What a beautiful setup! I'm sure that they must be making JBL L300 15" dance.

HiFi Rig: Cambridge Audio Cxn > Lyrita Audio Set 2A3 > Pioneer CS-905 / Piega Classic 3.0

Hi,B145,
I recently bought Yamaha b-2 in fair physical but good audio condition from Germany thru ebay,along with a Yamaha preamp c-45;both 240 volts for little less than 1k usd. Via post to Dubai,I do agree with the good comments posted by others about pleasing audio it produces..regards..murli
Can you please provide any references ike webiste/person who helped you source this.
thanks

I have listened to the older (some 20 years ago) VFET amplifiers from Yamaha and Sony. Both were very good driving Spendor BC2. These were a cut above the rest of the solid state amps in terms of musical resolution and dynamics. Very gtood amps. Sony VFET amp did not like complex loads.
Mohan

You r true,i drove my L300 with both krell KSA200S& KAV2250(250wattsx2),KAV2250is my present amp,ypu can see it my setup,but the B2 sound is completely different,neverheard till date,some thing emotional and it draws towards you in to music like nothing,it becomes a great match for my setup now.
It's bass is not having Slam & dynamism like krell,but soft and rounded,easy to listen.and the meters are joy to watch with dimlight
That's a lovely looking amplifier. Congratulations !!!
Could you share the other components in your chain ?

Thanks in advance
AG

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back