Yamaha HTR-3072 vs Denon AVR-X550BT

bedantabd

Please suggest which one I should buy between these two models. Mostly for music, occasionally for movies.
One more thing. Right now I am planning to get a pair of Yamaha tower speakers NS-8390 only, and will be adding center and surround speakers later. Will this set up work?

Mostly for music : Its better to get a decent Stereo Amplifier over a weak entry level AV receiver.

Please suggest which one I should buy between these two models. Mostly for music, occasionally for movies.
One more thing. Right now I am planning to get a pair of Yamaha tower speakers NS-8390 only, and will be adding center and surround speakers later. Will this set up work?
Do you have a budget in mind for immediate spending and also for overall spending for the whole setup.

Both are good AVR for starters. If you are purist in listening music better to choose dedicated stereo setup or seriously high end AVR. If you like to listen mp3 upmixed as virtual surround, this setup will be sufficient.

I have not used or heard either of these for long time. From the specs Denon has advantage of provision to add two subwoofers and one extra HDMI port. Build quality wise neither is extraordinary. But Yamaha has better terminals than Denon.

I’ve had a Yamaha 3072 for close to 2 years now. Since it’s an entry level AVR, it’s absolutely fine for movies if you get decent Fronts and Center speakers with an active subwoofer. But since you’re into music, my suggestion would be to go for a dedicated stereo/integrated amplifier. My preference also switched more towards the music side and now I’m considering getting a separate amplifier because the 3072 has limitations.

Yamaha is musical and well balanced for movies...what is your budget?

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I am not a purist / audiophile, but I love listening to music with good sound clarity / details. Earlier, I owned a Sony DHC-AZ5D 5.1 system but I was not very happy with the performance. So I wanted to build-up my customized home theater system with an extremely limited budget.

My budget for immediate spending was around Rs. 50K, so I booked Yamaha HTR-3072 + Yamaha NS-8390 (FS Speakers). Received the package within 4 days of booking (excellent service by avbestbuy.in: highly recommended).

Setting up the system was absolutely hassle free. I have also hooked-up the surround speakers of my old Sony home theater. So far so good….. I have build-up a 4.0 system! Then I connected one of the front speakers of the old system as the center speaker to make it 5.0!! But I could not make it 5.1 as the old subwoofer is a passive one.

So my immediate requirement is a subwoofer. By the time you guys must have figured out that I am not going to look beyond Yamaha NS SW-050 or NS SW-100. Both are 50W subs with only difference being the driver: 8” vs. 10”. Since output power is same, is it worth to pay the extra buck just for the driver size? Please advise. Any other sub in the same category / price range?

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I am not a purist / audiophile, but I love listening to music with good sound clarity / details. Earlier, I owned a Sony DHC-AZ5D 5.1 system but I was not very happy with the performance. So I wanted to build-up my customized home theater system with an extremely limited budget.

My budget for immediate spending was around Rs. 50K, so I booked Yamaha HTR-3072 + Yamaha NS-8390 (FS Speakers). Received the package within 4 days of booking (excellent service by avbestbuy.in: highly recommended).

Setting up the system was absolutely hassle free. I have also hooked-up the surround speakers of my old Sony home theater. So far so good….. I have build-up a 4.0 system! Then I connected one of the front speakers of the old system as the center speaker to make it 5.0!! But I could not make it 5.1 as the old subwoofer is a passive one.

So my immediate requirement is a subwoofer. By the time you guys must have figured out that I am not going to look beyond Yamaha NS SW-050 or NS SW-100. Both are 50W subs with only difference being the driver: 8” vs. 10”. Since output power is same, is it worth to pay the extra buck just for the driver size? Please advise. Any other sub in the same category / price range?
Why didn't you go with 3072 with Taga v506 5.0 HT system, just few thousands more. I'm also in the same ball park of buying a HT system for a budget of 50K. I already have some old Sony FL & FR speakers SS-GN100D. Will probably get YHT 3072 (HTR 3072 AVR with NS-P41 5.1 speaker set) which comes with active 8 sub. at around 47K

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back