Yamaha NS 500m amp suggestion

badrisuper

Hi

I recently bought Yamaha NS 500M. Its in good condition. At present I am pairing it with Sony TA 4650 amp.

Is Sony amp good enough to drive the speakers or do I need to look for something better? I appreciate your inputs.

Thanks
Badri M

yes there will be a lot of other amps that will be better than sony but do you need it ?

i think they are under 40 watts but looks like has enough good power supply to drive any speakers .
i think you should listen more in all kind of music to see if it feels under powered or other issues like distortions in highs or mids which are common [considering speakers are perfect] if that is the case change the amp else be happy of what you have.

Hi

I recently bought Yamaha NS 500M. Its in good condition. At present I am pairing it with Sony TA 4650 amp.

Is Sony amp good enough to drive the speakers or do I need to look for something better? I appreciate your inputs.

Thanks
Badri M

Hi,

If you are happy with the sound quality and output then dont change the amp just yet...you can always upgrade later.

You can go in later for a good Yamaha Stereo receiver the N series which will benefit your connectivity requirements.

Check the speaker specs and accordingly go for a suitable amp. If you have any in mind, list them down, we can help to shortlist them,,,,,

End of the day, it would be best to audition and decide for yourself.

Sony 4650 is a vfet amplifier which are loved for their vfet sound.

If I had the sony 4650 I would change the speaker not the amp.

My suggestion would be to upgrade the crossover of the speaker with better components and then take a call.

Thanks for your inputs.

At present I am using this setup.

SDTransport -> Subbu DAC -> Sony TA4650 -> NS 500M

It sounds good.

But I dont have other amplifier to compare. Thats why I am looking for inputs.

Yes TA 4650 is a good one but mine requires recap.

NS 500M sounds superb. Huge sound stage, clarity and natural to my ears. But feel like mid bass is not to the level I used to hear from my other setup.

Do you know any links for crossove upgrade? I struggle to find one?

Thanks
Badri M

Open the speakers and check for proper connections. You know, loose connections, burnt wires etc.

The 500m have l pads for adjustnent. (You might want to deoxit them first).

First adjust the midrange to your liking and then adjust the upper freq.

There are 4 caps in the crossover.

2.5uf, 3.5uf, 18uf and 47uf each. You can leave the inductors as it is.

By crossover upgrade i meant quality components not in terms of change in value.

Hi

Thanks for the information. Adjusting the control I am able to get decent midbass. but still not to my taste.

I am recapping my amp. I will upgrade the crossover later after my amp.

Thanks
Badri M

Hi

Component changes are done by a friend.

caps replaced by Panasonic and all cracked reaistors are changed. diodes and weak transistors are replaced.

No fancy items used.

I may start a new thread to modify philips cd100.

Thank you all for suggestions and quick responses.

Thanks
Badri M

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back