Yamaha RX-V663 Speakers

Try to set your individual speaker levels a bit higher than the YPAO as the power transformers in the 663 & 863 are not as powerful as some of the older models. You should be set for movies and music as well. I recently setup a 863 for a friend of mine when on travel and he got away at almost a steal at US$ 300 for the 863 and it sounded much better than the older models for music.

Try to set your individual speaker levels a bit higher than the YPAO as the power transformers in the 663 & 863 are not as powerful as some of the older models. You should be set for movies and music as well. I recently setup a 863 for a friend of mine when on travel and he got away at almost a steal at US$ 300 for the 863 and it sounded much better than the older models for music.

Mars, I recently installed a 663, and I set the initial volume at '-18dB' on the 663 display which resulted in roughly 70dB on the SPL meter from about 4.5 meters away. I found -15dB to be loud, and distortion starting to set in around -10dB on the 663 display. The speakers were PSB Alpha B1s all around, with a Wharfedale SW 150 sub.

On a relative level, I set the center about 5 dB more than the other speakers.

Just my experience. Personally I think the 663 and 863 are very good AVRs.

Cheers

And is the price i paid in line with the market?..
Can you guys also tell me the specific set up for the take classics, i am a bit of an amateur at this, so it would help out.

27.5 is an excellent price for the 663. As I said before it is a very good amp. With the Take 5s, you have will have years of fun.

(1) The best way to set up the 663 is to use the given mike and use auto setup. Auto setup also checks whether you have connected the speakers properly and will warn you if they are out of phase. Most of the measurements it makes are correct, excepting for two:

1.1. At the end of the auto set up, you may find the front left and right speakers installed as 'Large' with a frequency range somewhere around 80Hz. Use manual set up to change this to 'Small' and/or 115Hz to suit your Take 5 Fronts.

1.2. The crossover for the sub may also be set at 80Hz to follow THX standards. Set this to 120Hz both on the AVR and the sub. Then using the sub and the AVR, experiment with various cross over settings downward upto some 80Hz. Choose the setting that you like most. Use a DVD with some heavy low frequency sound such as U571, Saving Private Ryan, etc.

(2) Be careful with feeding too much juice to the sub. It may start distorting very fast. Remember, the sub has it's own amplifier.

(3) The 663 has an initial volume level. Set this to a comfortable level (say 60-70dB by SPL meter). This can even be a little lower than your usual listening level. The reason I am saying this is that when you insert a a CD or a DVD, you don't want the AVR to start blasting at a high volume. I found '-18' on the 663 display to be a decent level.

(4) Do not use the AVR to set your TV. Connect the DVD Player directly to the TV and set the TV separately. When finished, reconnect the TV through the AVR.

Other than these points, your AVR should work very well.

Cheers

27.5 is an excellent price for the 663. As I said before it is a very good amp. With the Take 5s, you have will have years of fun.

(4) Do not use the AVR to set your TV. Connect the DVD Player directly to the TV and set the TV separately. When finished, reconnect the TV through the AVR.

Cheers

Hi venkat,
thanks for the exhausting list of suggestions, really i appreciate your expertise and patience.

And venkat i was talking about the Take Classic's price, if its inline with the market.

And i dint get the last, i.e., 4th point, why would connecting the avr to set up the tv be a problem?..

Thank you.

And i dint get the last, i.e., 4th point, why would connecting the avr to set up the tv be a problem?..

Well, this is based on my personal experience with 663. This may not be actually correct, but I will recount what happened.

I connected a Pioneer 610 and a Yamaha 663 to a Samsung Series 5 FullHD TV (46 inches). I used both Avia 1 and Avia 2 DVDs to set the systems up. Avai has a screen set up that includes colour, brightness, tint, etc. In contrast, the screen is divided into two parts. The right half is white, while the left is black. In the left side, Avia has two bars oscillating on the screen. To set the correct level, you adjust the TV contrast till the left bar disappears, and the right bar is just visible.

I first I connected the TV through the AVR. I tried Avia 2 and I could not see the bars at all. I tired Avai 1. Again I could not see the bars. Getting frustrated, I was wondering what to do. Then I decided to connect the TV direct to the Pioneer 610. On both the DVDs, the bars were clearly visible. I then used this connection to set the TV up.

When I then connected the TV through the AVR, the images were perfect.

Cheers

Well, this is based on my personal experience with 663. This may not be actually correct, but I will recount what happened.

I connected a Pioneer 610 and a Yamaha 663 to a Samsung Series 5 FullHD TV (46 inches). I used both Avia 1 and Avia 2 DVDs to set the systems up. Avai has a screen set up that includes colour, brightness, tint, etc. In contrast, the screen is divided into two parts. The right half is white, while the left is black. In the left side, Avia has two bars oscillating on the screen. To set the correct level, you adjust the TV contrast till the left bar disappears, and the right bar is just visible.

I first I connected the TV through the AVR. I tried Avia 2 and I could not see the bars at all. I tired Avai 1. Again I could not see the bars. Getting frustrated, I was wondering what to do. Then I decided to connect the TV direct to the Pioneer 610. On both the DVDs, the bars were clearly visible. I then used this connection to set the TV up.

When I then connected the TV through the AVR, the images were perfect.

Cheers

Venkat, may be this is because of yamaha's known issue that it doesn't pass certain black and white signals?

Thanks,
Prakash

Venkat, may be this is because of yamaha's known issue that it doesn't pass certain black and white signals? Prakash

Could very well be. But as I said, once I set the TV, I routed all videos through the AVR and the images were pristine.

Cheers

hi guys, thanks for the suggestions once again.
The speakers will arrive today or tom, have paid 20k as advance, need to know if 35.8k is a good price for the take classics, or else will try to bargain further, quoted price was 39.5k...

hi guys, thanks for the suggestions once again.
The speakers will arrive today or tom, have paid 20k as advance, need to know if 35.8k is a good price for the take classics, or else will try to bargain further, quoted price was 39.5k...

Hi Nikhil,

Today i went to Reliance digital, Blore. Energy take classic was available there. I saw the MRP in the box, it said 29.5K. So with bargaining it should be still less.

Thanks,
Prakash

Hi Nikhil,

Today i went to Reliance digital, Blore. Energy take classic was available there. I saw the MRP in the box, it said 29.5K. So with bargaining it should be still less.

Thanks,
Prakash

Hi prakasse,
I called up the reliance digital store, they dint have any idea what i am talking about, they dint even know that energy take classic is a speaker system and said they dont deal with it.
I also called up the distributor of energy systems for india, its in mumbai, they said it will cost me around 40k including tax.
Got a call that the speakers have arrived, so will go ahead i think.

Hi prakasse,
I called up the reliance digital store, they dint have any idea what i am talking about, they dint even know that energy take classic is a speaker system and said they dont deal with it.
I also called up the distributor of energy systems for india, its in mumbai, they said it will cost me around 40k including tax.
Got a call that the speakers have arrived, so will go ahead i think.

I personally saw Energy take classic in packed state in the cartoon on reliance digital, cunningham road, 1st floor. MRP was put on top of it.

Also one more personmember has shared in some other thread in the forum that energy take classic is 29.5K. Kindly confirm before you invest that extra money to dealer.

May be you can visit reliance personally.

Here is the other thread where our member "Rem" quotes the price if energy.
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-box/3976-help-speakers-yamaha-665-a.html

Thanks,
Prakash.

Last edited:
Nikhil, I have seen the energy take classics at Reliance Digital Hyderabad for 29.3K as well. I would advice you to look around before you pay more than this.

I know a fellow who got the Take Classics for Rs. 30K (but without warranty) sometime around late Dec 2008. With warranty, he would have 12.5% VAT added to the cost.
So I would bargain a bit harder to come down from 40K. I think the dealer was Rivera International who have a showroom at Atria Mall in Worli, Mumbai.

In addition, the current price of Take on many online sites is around $400 (free shipping) in the US which is ~Rs. 20K. Counting duties/taxes, I don't think it costs Rs. 20K more to deliver to India. And if it does, the Indian Energy dealers need to do some serious talking with Energy Canada.

-Jinx.

Last edited:
Guys, i even called up the Reliance timeout on cunningham road, as mentioned in the other post, but they too don't have a clue about these or the mirage speakers...

Guys, i even called up the Reliance timeout on cunningham road, as mentioned in the other post, but they too don't have a clue about these or the mirage speakers...

Hi Nikhil,

Since you are in blore why don't you visit reliance shop personally? Just a thought.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back