Yamaha v477 + Polk TL1600 -> Musical Bliss

Narasimhan_M

August 7th is always a special day for me. Its my wifey's birthday :). Another event was surprisingly part of it. Yes, it was the D-Day when I cherished my home theater dream which I pursued for the last several years :yahoo:.

How it Started..
I started my HT hunt few months back doing auditions in reputed shops here in Chennai. Visited Vipul, ProFx, Croma and Reliance. It began in Feb and still I could not zero in my decision due to several reasons. Out of the shops I visited, I would rate ProFx the best. Their Service, Hospitality and range were too good. So I was inclined more towards them. My budget was around 60K.

Models I Auditioned
Denon 510BT + Polk RM6750 -> Movies were very good and the receiver was lacking little bit of power which was a little evident when compared to other amps in the same price range.

Pioneer 524 + Polk RM 6750 -> Excellent with Movie ( Demo'd The Famous Airplane Scene from Dark Knight Rises and this became my benchmark ) and was weak with Music (Loseless audio)

Yamaha 3067 + Polk TL1600 -> Excellent with movies and Music. The speaker has superb thump and clarity. The receiver does not have network capability so was a bit skeptical.

Yamaha v477 + Polk TL1600 -> To me this was the icing on the cake with performance, features and price. So closed in this with ProFx.

TL1600 Subwoofer
My Living room is 16x12 and the subwoofer is by no means weak. I had set the crossover to 120hz at the receiver and 90hz at the back of the subwoofer and the bass is just too good.

The Receiver
I am yet to explore all the features but the sound re-production is just excellent. I am a big fan of Music Mojo and the receiver has an option called "Music Video" where it beautiful decodes the youtube videos into Pro Logic II.
The Music Mojo experience in my HT was so heavenly. Drowned in the world of surround sound :)

Logged into HiFiVision and proudly updated my signature.

More on the DTH HD and Blu Ray experience pretty soon. Keep watching this space.

Attachments

• IMG_20150810_143137.jpg
    IMG_20150810_143137.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 141
Congrats on your Purchase :clapping: please share your experience both Movies and music, also how was the demo with Denon X510 BT is it not good compared to Yamaha 477

Congrats for your new purchase!!! However, my limited knowledge tells me that your subwoofer crossover settings are not correct and you may be missing some frequencies (90-120 hz). You should turn the crossover knob at the back of the subwoofer to the max it supports. Let me know if that makes the setup sound even more fuller.

Congrats on your Purchase :clapping: please share your experience both Movies and music, also how was the demo with Denon X510 BT is it not good compared to Yamaha 477

477 is much better amp than 510BT.
510BT has additional features like bluetooth, wifi etc
For SQ and all round Movies/Music 477.

Comparable model to RX-V477 is x1000/x1100w

Congrats for your new purchase!!! However, my limited knowledge tells me that your subwoofer crossover settings are not correct and you may be missing some frequencies (90-120 hz). You should turn the crossover knob at the back of the subwoofer to the max it supports. Let me know if that makes the setup sound even more fuller.

There are 2 crossover settings which is recommended in the POLK manual.

1. On the Receiver and suggestion is 120hz
2. On the back of the subwoofer -> Range is from 80 -160hz. When I set it at 160, the sound is little boomy.

Again I am no expert but usually the subwoofer booming has to do more with the room acoustics or placement of the subwoofer. In my case (different subwoofer though), when I couldn't change either, tinkering with subwoofer volume (both on the sub and in the AVR) and changing the subwoofer phase has helped taming the boominess a little. Experiment with these parameters (even temporarily moving the subwoofer at various places within the room) and see if that gives you a positive impact. Nevertheless, if you are not missing the particular frequencies then keep enjoying your current settings. Cheers.

Its been 5 days with my new HT and this setup is very very addictive. Not only to me but even for my wife too :eek:hyeah:

Here is my setup

Videocon D2H -> Receiver -> TV (HDMI 1)
PS3 -> Receiver -> TV (HDM1 2)

Updated the recent firmware through USB yesterday. It takes about 10 mins and straight forward task.

Standy Pass Thru -> I have this "On" which allows the Video and Audio to be transmitted to the TV when the receiver is standby. Also using the remote HDMI inputs can be switched when the unit is in standby which is good.

Videocon D2H -> HD Sound Quality

This would be my rating for the audio quality of the English HD Movie channels
1. Star Movie Select
2. Star Movies
3. Zee Studio HD
4. MN+
5. Sony Pix

I saw the movie UP in Star Movie Select HD and the audio quality was very good. The sound effects in the climax scene was just out of this world. Wonderful Experience and this movie channel has the best sound quality. I cannot go beyond 70 volume level(Max is 97. Increments of 0.5)

Also saw few movies like Jurassic Park 3, Titanic, Non Stop in Star Movies and the audio was good. Sound Level would be around 75.

With the other HD channels, the sound quality is just about okay.

YouTube Video Playback
Using my PS3, I listened to lot of songs on Youtube and Yamaha Receiver has a cool feature called "Music Video" under the music mode which converts the audio to PLII and gives a enveloping sound.

I am yet watch movies in Youtube and I will share the review in the next few days.

Dolby Demo Videos
Without them, the HT is as good as dead. :lol:
I downloaded the videos from 2D Demo Trailers (HD) and it was in mkv format. I had to convert them using mkv2vob to make them play on PS3.

PS3 does a surperb job with audio decoding and "The Amaze" dolby trailer was just too good. The thunderstorm effect in the video literally gave me goosebumps :clapping:

I will post on the Audio Playback (CD) shortly. Happy Reading !!!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back