Yamaha WXC-50 or Allo digione Signature

Bit Late to reply,
I have both the allo boss 1.2 and yamaha wxc-50. the Allo with linear PS (powerbank in my case) can beat the Yamaha in SoundQuality, though a very close contest IMO. But the sheer simplicity, convenience and connectivity makes yamaha the winner by a margin. I gave up on allo due to the number of times I had to reformat the corrupted SD when the power went off.

If I were you, I would rule out the Allo digiOne signature. Simply because, the DAC in the Marantz 6007 may not be as good as the yamaha or Allo.
The Yamaha and Allo Boss are Known to be well measuring and performing DACs. you could use them and use the Marantz Just for amplification in the analog domain.

@OP I have owned Yamaha Wxc 50 earlier, but I sold it within a fortnight, found it to be too bright for my requirements ; I have upgraded from Allo USB bridge to Allo Kali plus Piano, & now to Allo Digione Signature Streamer...

No Doubt, Yamaha Wxc 50 is a Swiss Army Knife of Digital Audio & it excels at this purpose ; but let's be Honest, when do you use Swiss Army Knife? When you are camping or traveling that is, when you can't lug the knives with dedicated purpose. So get a Knife with a dedicated purpose for streaming, Get allo digione signature Streamer or usb bridge signature depending upon your DAC. Do get the Shanti LPSU which I believe is a must. Finally, with all the software issues taken into consideration, Allo Streamer is quite VFM without compromising in quality.

That's surprising. This was on a USBridge Signature right? It worked well for me and from what I gather from other forums, it seems to have worked for several others too. In fact, I apply this fix after every new update of Volumio as it uses a 'generic' version of Ethernet driver. It has worked everytime for me.
Its allo digione signature Streamer, I checked with the 2 other Forums it should work instantly.
It did work after fresh volumio install, with currently no issues whatsoever. I don't use WiFi with the Streamer all Wired Connections Cat 7 Etherenet and Cat 8 from the Desktop Switch to Streamer.

Its allo digione signature Streamer, I checked with the 2 other Forums it should work instantly.
It did work after fresh volumio install, with currently no issues whatsoever. I don't use WiFi with the Streamer all Wired Connections Cat 7 Etherenet and Cat 8 from the Desktop Switch to Streamer.

That might explain it. I perform this fix with USBridge Signature as I noted in my previous post. The notes in Allo FTP site also mention that this fix is for USBridge Signature and so do a few other forum posts. See below.

Digione Signature uses RPi3 as a base while USBridge uses RPi compute module. I believe the later uses a different Ethernet PHY which might require this fix.

Reinstalling Volumio would have replaced the Ethernet driver and hence would have fixed the issue.

Reinstalling Volumio would have replaced the Ethernet driver
Oh ok..
But I reinstalled the Asix driver after fresh reinstall of Volumio. This time no issues whatsoever. Only difference being last time I ran ssh via windows Putty, 2nd time via Mac OS Terminal app..
Anyways, I haven't got the airplay streaming issue back in the 6 hrs listening session. Hopefully that won't recur
I am getting a Allo Digione USB Bridge Signature also, so will update you accordingly. Plan is to keep the one which works best with my Terminator DAC

Hi,

Since you own one. I wanted to know if this can be used to power an active speaker like the Edifier S350db (have this)) or s2000 MKIII (planning to get this). Both speakers feature optical in.

Or would I need a dedicated amplifier?

Thanks
Hi Chirag :)

Unfortunately I have very limited internet connectivity. So sadly couldn't check up the on the specs of the speakers you've mentioned. But as I've said before the wxc can pass digital optical out as well line level output as well as a premap output with volume control. So in any given scenario, I cant see the wxc 50 falling short to blend into the system :D

My question.Can i connect my dvd RCA out to the aux in on the WX-c50 and then use the coaxout or opt out to my Marantz PM6007 amp?Will the SQ be better or worse?
You can do it this way.

Optical/Coax will be better than RCA.
however using the RCA will mean the DAC of that device will be used rather than th DAC of the WXC-50

Using Allo Digione Signature for close to a year now. Moved from Chromecast Audio. Started with an Anker wall wart, then moved to a custom LPS and finally to Shanti. Used Volumio OS first and then settled with Ropieee XL. I used to be conversant with command line tinkering but now prefer ease of use so my family could also utilize the investments. My brief comments:

a) Allo is considerably superior to Chromecast.
b) LPS is a must with Allo. Use a good power cable for Shanti and try upgrading the DC cable from Shanti to clean side of Allo. You would be rewarded with a lush sound. Will also help cut the incisive nature of Allo.
c) Volumio provides everything - Roon, Tidal, Spotify, Airplay and Hi-Res local playback at a very reasonable cost. It however corrupts easily during power cuts. Very annoying.
d) Ropieee XL OS is rock solid. Really like an appliance. No tinkering needed ever since I have been using it. Also auto-updates. Provides Roon + Tidal, Airplay, Spotify and UPnP/Open Home support for local file playback (I used Lumin app and was quite satisfied). You can also attach an IR remote (for Roon only).
e) Roon + Ropieee is as good as it gets. Superlative experience. Does 'Everything' and rock solid industry grade solution. You never feel you are using a DIY device. Do your own TCO analysis over three years.

Thank you.

Using Allo Digione Signature for close to a year now. Moved from Chromecast Audio. Started with an Anker wall wart, then moved to a custom LPS and finally to Shanti. Used Volumio OS first and then settled with Ropieee XL. I used to be conversant with command line tinkering but now prefer ease of use so my family could also utilize the investments. My brief comments:

b) LPS is a must with Allo. Use a good power cable for Shanti and try upgrading the DC cable from Shanti to clean side of Allo. You would be rewarded with a lush sound. Will also help cut the incisive nature of Allo.
c) Volumio provides everything - Roon, Tidal, Spotify, Airplay and Hi-Res local playback at a very reasonable cost. It however corrupts easily during power cuts. Very annoying.
d) Ropieee XL OS is rock solid. Really like an appliance. No tinkering needed ever since I have been using it. Also auto-updates. Provides Roon + Tidal, Airplay, Spotify and UPnP/Open Home support for local file playback (I used Lumin app and was quite satisfied). You can also attach an IR remote (for Roon only).
e) Roon + Ropieee is as good as it gets. Superlative experience. Does 'Everything' and rock solid industry grade solution. You never feel you are using a DIY device. Do your own TCO analysis over three years.

Thank you.
am going for the allo boss2 player along with niravana.reason my marantz coax input is already reserved for the connection from my dvd palyer which i use to play audio cds only.

Thank you.
Thanks for the insight. Put the same into practice and got a couple of extra SD cards to keep multiple OSes on standby.

I tried RoopieXL and it is indeed rock solid. Volumio was rather unstable in my case for some reason with popping/spitting noises at the beginning of each track (not sure if it's a software or hardware issue) and not infrequently, stuttering/slow buffering during playback. Playback through RoopieXL has had no such issues so far.

Despite not having a GUI, if one intends to stream from the supported native apps of the available services, which is Spotify in my case, it's perfect. Will try out the Roon 14 day trial to see if my mileage can justify the cost of a full time subscription.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back