Yamaha WXC-50 or Allo digione Signature

You can use the provided wall wart for powering rpi and use the power bank to power the signature board. Both side, it's 5v dc and the rpi need more power (2.5 to 3 amps) and the hat side it will need only 1amps. Maybe you can use your power bank to power both sides as it have two power outs.

You can use the provided wall wart for powering rpi and use the power bank to power the signature board. Both side, it's 5v dc and the rpi need more power (2.5 to 3 amps) and the hat side it will need only 1amps. Maybe you can use your power bank to power both sides as it have two power outs.
In addition to the power bank, I have two wall warts rated at 5v - 3A for the time being so thats not an issue. I suppose i should not underpower my device and risk frying it since the single slot ouput is 5v - 3A on the power bank. I can live with a wall wart on the dirty side for the time being. It’ll help me appreciate the Shanti PSU more once it arrives.

Ofcourse you can use wall warts for both sides, infact I am using mobile charger. But battery bank will be better for clean side, may be you can try both and feels the difference.

this regard, i would be much obliged if FM @drkrack can advise me on how to connect it to a Powerbank as i recollect him mentioning in a post that he powers his through a 20,000mah powerbank. I have a Mi 20,000MaH powerbank which lists single slot output as 5.1V=2.4A and 12V=1.5 A whereas dual port output is rated at 5.1V=3.6A. Will a USB type A to Type C cable connected to a single port of the powerbank be sufficient to power either the USBridge or Digione Signature hat (since i have only one wall wart for
I have only Allo Digione Signature Streamer not the Combo with USB bridge, in that case the Power Bank may not suffice I believe.
I powered both inputs with 20kmaH power bank. Larger current output to the dirty side.
It was better than Walmart, though I got 5V, 50W LPSU from AliExpress which can reach up to 8A on its 2 x 5V Outputs easily, Which is far meatier in Tonality and better resolution. However I am curious to see how much Shanti can better that LPSU.

Since you have a Combo Device from Allo, you can try with 2 Power banks, one smaller capacity for Cleaner side and Larger Capacity for Dirty side.
Hopefully this helps. I did observe connection loss in streaming via Apple airplay with volumio, especially when charge goes below 70% on power banks, so I used Walmart for Dirty side and Bank on cleaner side.

I have only Allo Digione Signature Streamer not the Combo with USB bridge, in that case the Power Bank may not suffice I believe.
I powered both inputs with 20kmaH power bank. Larger current output to the dirty side.
It was better than Walmart, though I got 5V, 50W LPSU from AliExpress which can reach up to 8A on its 2 x 5V Outputs easily, Which is far meatier in Tonality and better resolution. However I am curious to see how much Shanti can better that LPSU.

Since you have a Combo Device from Allo, you can try with 2 Power banks, one smaller capacity for Cleaner side and Larger Capacity for Dirty side.
Hopefully this helps. I did observe connection loss in streaming via Apple airplay with volumio, especially when charge goes below 70% on power banks, so I used Walmart for Dirty side and Bank on cleaner side.
I’ve powered on my USBridge player using the 5v wall wart and connected it to the DAC it via usb for the time being. Initially, i was playing internet radio for the first half hour or so till i set it up and it worked flawlessly but after installing the two spotify plugins, the internet radio started to stutter and so does audio playback through spotify. I havent connected anything to the clean side of the digione unit (installed in the same box) since i’m not using the SPDIF outs. I wonder if that could be the reason for the stutter or is it due to the spotify plugin. Time to dig deeper. Tried to restart it but it got stuck and had to switch off the power supply and power on again. Thankfully, it booted up again.

Initially, i was playing internet radio for the first half hour or so till i set it up and it worked flawlessly but after installing the two spotify plugins, the internet radio started to stutter and so does audio playback through spotify. I havent connected anything to the clean side of the digione unit (installed in the same box) since i’m not using the SPDIF outs. I wonder if that
These are the hiccups which keep happening with Allo products, if we can get a decent OS with Tidal & Qobuz integration, we will be having a contender which gives expensive streamers a run for their money.

I am considering paying for volumio just to get the the Tidal connect feature so that I don’t have to faff about with sub par software integration and just use the Tidal app on my phone.

Hey Fms, which is the cheapest network streamer options which can play music from usb hdd upto 4tb and can be controlled by an app. Which have compatibly with tidal n Spotify etc.

I am considering paying for volumio just to get the the Tidal connect feature so that I don’t have to faff about with sub par software integration and just use the Tidal app on my phone.
But by that logic, spotify connect should also work since it operates on the same principle as tidal connect?
These are the hiccups which keep happening with Allo products, if we can get a decent OS with Tidal & Qobuz integration, we will be having a contender which gives expensive streamers a run for their money.
It seems to be a bitrate/internet throughput problem for some reason though it shouldnt be the case since i have it connected through ethernet. With respect to internet radio, When i play the bbc one channel which is low bitrate , it plays fine but while playing naim jazz which is supposedly flac, it starts stuttering immediately. Again, while playing tracks on spotify, if i pause for a few seconds, i suppose it buffers and therefore, plays stutter free for a minute or so before again skipping/stuttering.

Hey Fms, which is the cheapest network streamer options which can play music from usb hdd upto 4tb and can be controlled by an app. Which have compatibly with tidal n Spotify etc.
Raspberry Pi 4 2gb for around 5K. You can later upgrade it with HATs and better power supplies should you choose to go down that route.

Last edited:
But by that logic, spotify connect should also work since it operates on the same principle as tidal connect?

Yes Spotify does work. I was thinking about high res music. The Volumio sub comes around 2.5K for a year which is worth it for me as I’ll mostly be relying on streaming services for my music.

It seems to be a bitrate/internet throughput problem for some reason though it shouldnt be the case since i have it connected through ethernet. With respect to internet radio, When i play the bbc one channel which is low bitrate , it plays fine but while playing naim jazz which is supposedly flac, it starts stuttering immediately. Again, while playing tracks on spotify, if i pause for a few seconds, i suppose it buffers and therefore, plays stutter free for a minute or so before again skipping/stuttering.

I have observed drops-outs with some FLAC and MQA tracks via Tidal with my USBridge Signature as well. There is a known issue with Allo Asix Ethernet driver on this Allo device and it has been fixed subsequently. Installing this update fixed all drop-out/stuttering issues for me completely.

Follow these steps to update the driver.

1) ssh or terminal login to RPi using OS credentials. If you are using Volumio then do the following 'ssh [email protected]' where x.x.x.x is the IP address of your USBridge Signature. Enter 'Volumio' as the password when prompted.

2) cd /usr/src/

3) sudo wget http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/asix2v0/install.sh

4) sh install.sh

5) Reboot Volumio.

6) You can apply this fix even if you are using Moode or DietPi. Of course, the login credentials might change depending on the OS.

You can find more instructions on this thread.

Hope this helps.

Raspberry Pi 4 2gb for around 5K. You can later upgrade it with HATs and better power supplies should you choose to go down that route.
is it better to go for a full set up allo boss player or buy
1. RPI 4GB
2.Boss2 dac

seperately and power via shanti?

So i received the Allo USBridge Signature Player + Digione Signature. Arrived in a rather nondescript generic cardboard box without any labelling or other indicative marks/text, much less any documentation inside the box. Far from a grand unboxing. However, it was a pleasant surprise to find that the Digione Signature was preinstalled in the Usbridge player so full marks on that front. The MicroSD card cocntaining the OS was also preinstalled in the slot and covered with a tape. The case in itself looks smart with a brushed aluminum look and the connectors out back feel like they are good quality. Don't care much about the font up front and would've been better if it was left blank or at the very least, used a nicer cursive or italicized font. Looks matter if they are to adorn my living room! :D

Quite excited about the prospect of powering it up soon and checking it out soon. I ordered only a single wall wart and the Shanti Linear PSU is delayed so the Digione Signature hat will have to wait unless i can figure out another way of powering it up.

In this regard, i would be much obliged if FM @drkrack can advise me on how to connect it to a Powerbank as i recollect him mentioning in a post that he powers his through a 20,000mah powerbank. I have a Mi 20,000MaH powerbank which lists single slot output as 5.1V=2.4A and 12V=1.5 A whereas dual port output is rated at 5.1V=3.6A. Will a USB type A to Type C cable connected to a single port of the powerbank be sufficient to power either the USBridge or Digione Signature hat (since i have only one wall wart for the time being till the Shanti arrives) or will i need a USB-C to Type-A Y cable of a similar description provided in the link below? :)

Ques

1.When u ordered did u mention u want both installed together in one box?
2.is only one psu viz., shanti needed to power ur full setup viz., usb and digione?
3.How mych did the total thing cost minus the power supply?

is it better to go for a full set up allo boss player or buy
1. RPI 4GB
2.Boss2 dac

seperately and power via shanti?
There should be no difference in SQ either way. Better to just buy the Boss2 player and get the metal build and oled display. You can use Shanti with Boss2 player if you want.

Last edited:
There should be no difference in SQ either way. Better to just buy the Boss2 player and get the metal build and oled display. You can use Shanti with Boss2 player if you want.
ok i asked because i cud save couple of bucks with nirvana but then it seems shanti gives better sq it seems

Shanti will be always better, as its an LPSU and cost is also high. But Nirvana being an SMPS, it got very good review in the forums and among people. You can consider that one also, if you don't want to go for Shanti now. Allo recommend Nirvana for Boss2 player. In the ASR review, he used Nirvana for BOSS2.

With DAC sorry I forgot to mention
If you are a guy who can tinker little bit with computers, you can always go with RPi based solutions. Allo, have some nice offerings based on RPi. They have BOSS v1.2 which is what I am currently using, and their next gen BOSS came, BOSS2. Both these are DAC hats use with Raspberry Pi. If you are okay to tinker with these small components, you can buy seprately and assemble for fun. Otherwise buy the fully built unit, which is almost plug and play.

BOSS2 player using a different DAC chip, as compared to earlier model and its a definite upgrade over the previous generation as per Allo. It offers a small oled display and a remote also. The streaming capacity always depends on the software you use with these small babies. Volumio and Moode are the most popular audio distros currently using in the RPi world. You can refer the features on websites of both distros. Both are equally good in quality wise, but differs on features and also on UI. Both can be controlled over basic apps for changing the tracks or adjusting volumes etc.

If you don't want to deal with these small computers, you can look for Arylic S50 pro or Yamaha wxc50 or many others. diyaudiocart is dealing with arylic,

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back