Yamaha WXC-50 or Allo digione Signature

Does the Yamaha not allow one to use their own DAC considering that it has coax and digital out too?

From the convenience perspective, the Yamaha seems like a no-brainer. It is the more approachable product and better for most users i imagine. On the other hand, i had a hard time figuring out what the Allo does to begin with. After that, there's the whole confusion of which operating system to choose and which one offers what features. The ordering process was incredibly daunting and I had to watch multiple YT videos to figure out how to specify it. I shudder when i think about the setting up process. I had to psych myself up and convince myself that i was willing to put in the time and effort.

The allo looks like the more flexible device but I'm a big fan of plug and play and i think Allo dropped the ball on this front, something that was easily rectifiable from the get go, and the Yamaha simply has the edge in this regard i imagine. Build quality of the Yamaha also looks far far superior.

Coincidentally, that was the quandry i found myself in last night. However, considering i was in the pursuit of max SQ for a budget of 30-40k and did not want to spend lakhs on a streamer, in addition to the fact that the feedback on allo products was overwhelmingly positive from both the professional as well as user community alike, I decided to go for the Allo USBridge with the Allo Digione Signature Hifi Hat Add-on module and Shanti Linear PSU and the total cost was 37K.

Have you experienced both the WXC50 and the Allo USBridge/All Digione SIgnature?
so instead of rpi as the base are u using allo usbbridge?if thats the case how do u use it as a network streamer because i was of the idea that its the rpi board that provides the streaming capability

of course, you can use an external DAC with the Yamaha. I have mentioned it has Optical and Coax Out to connect to an external DAC.
My bad, i misread it.
Yes, Allo has a bit of a learning curve, just like it is for someone upgrading from a simple Audion CD or a Cassette Deck to a streamer. However, once you have it figured out, using an Allo unit is actually very easy and simple. I prefer Volumio as the OS.
I used to be all for the camp of customization and DIY. Heck, i homebrewed the living daylights out of my PSP way back in the day but as I've grown older, I've turned into a convenience freak. I suppose the Allo was a masked attempt at reigniting the flame.
Congratulations on your purchase. Do start a new thread if not already done, to record your setting up journey. I am sure, it would help a lot of members who are on the fence or paranoid about setting up an Allo unit.

MaSh
Will do! :)

so instead of rpi as the base are u using allo usbbridge?
Ummm..... Good Question. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Allo Bridge based on an Rpi 3B+? From what i gathered, you can add the digione signature hat module to the USBridge player which basically contains an Rpi module inside. Again, this speuclation, and i reiterate, speculation is based on what i gathered after desperately hunting around for information and trying to put the pieces to the puzzle together since the Allo website is utterly hopeless and useless on this front. It almost seems that they are fine languishing in obscurity by putting up a massive barrier to entry in not providing any useful information for a first time user. Its simply infuriating and I'm reigning in an overwhelming urge to chuck in a few of my choicest profanities as i write this post for the sole sake of maintaining the "decorum" of the forum.:mad:
if thats the case how do u use it as a network streamer because i was of the idea that its the rpi board that provides the streaming capability
Same as above.

Ummm..... Good Question. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Allo Bridge based on an Rpi 3B+? From what i gathered, you can add the digione signature hat module to the USBridge player which basically contains an Rpi module inside. Again, this speuclation, and i reiterate, speculation is based on what i gathered after desperately hunting around for information and trying to put the pieces to the puzzle together since the Allo website is utterly hopeless and useless on this front. It almost seems that they are fine languishing in obscurity by putting up a massive barrier to entry in not providing any useful information for a first time user. Its simply infuriating and I'm reigning in an overwhelming urge to chuck in a few of my choicest profanities as i write this post for the sole sake of maintaining the "decorum" of the forum.:mad:

Same as above.
Yup you are right.Once u posted above i went ahead and started looking into USB bridge.Actually u r right.They have a bad bad documentation.
Just now looking at the Allo Boss2 review too.I still am trying to figure out if i need to DIY how to do it.Like is it possible ti buy Rpi 4gb.Add digione sig HAT and on top of it the ALLO Boss 2 dac HAT.I could be wrong.

What drives me towards WX-c50 is the presence of many output and input options.Like the possibility to take RCA outs from my DVD player and feed it to the inputs and then probably take out a coax out of it and take it to my Marantz PM6007.However i feel other than usb and one coax out i will be constrained for outs and inputs in Allo options.Again as i said i cud be also horribly wrong here in thinking that.

Last edited:
My bad, i misread it.

I used to be all for the camp of customization and DIY. Heck, i homebrewed the living daylights out of my PSP way back in the day but as I've grown older, I've turned into a convenience freak. I suppose the Allo was a masked attempt at reigniting the flame.

Hi Please do share your review.Also i am looking into the ALLO BOSS2 now.Seriously the more we look the more confusing and exciting it gets.I dont know still if a Boss2 dac can go over a digione which is inturn connected to a rpi4b

Coincidentally, that was the quandry i found myself in last night. However, considering i was in the pursuit of max SQ for a budget of 30-40k and did not want to spend lakhs on a streamer, in addition to the fact that the feedback on allo products was overwhelmingly positive from both the professional as well as user community alike, I decided to go for the Allo USBridge with the Allo Digione Signature Hifi Hat Add-on module and Shanti Linear PSU and the total cost was 37K.

Where did you order it from? I was also looking at the USBridge. The total cost for your addons should be around 32k from Fabtolab.

BTW, I don't see the point in adding the digione signature hat to the USBridge. You are only going to use one output, so why not just focus on either USB or SPDIF

Yup you are right.Once u posted above i went ahead and started looking into USB bridge.Actually u r right.They have a bad bad documentation.
Just now looking at the Allo Boss2 review too.I still am trying to figure out if i need to DIY how to do it.Like is it possible ti buy Rpi 4gb.Add digione sig HAT and on top of it the ALLO Boss 2 dac HAT.I could be wrong.

What drives me towards WX-c50 is the presence of many output and input options.Like the possibility to take RCA outs from my DVD player and feed it to the inputs and then probably take out a coax out of it and take it to my Marantz PM6007.However i feel other than usb and one coax out i will be constrained for outs and inputs in Allo options.Again as i said i cud be also horribly wrong here in thinking that.

Why do you need the Boss dac along with the digione? If you don't already own a competent dac, get the boss2 player and feed it to your amp.

If you have a good dac, choose between USBridge or Digione based on your dac input options. Some DACs perform better on usb input while some does better with optical/spdif.

Why do you need the Boss dac along with the digione? If you don't already own a competent dac, get the boss2 player and feed it to your amp.

If you have a good dac, choose between USBridge or Digione based on your dac input options. Some DACs perform better on usb input while some does better with optical/spdif.
my set up is:-

1.Marantz PM6007
2.Philips dvd player-coax out to marantz
3.Sony dvd player -rcs out to marantz(mainly for the presence of usb input that was missing on the philips)

Since i guess rcs out from sony dvd to marantz just bypasses the AKM dac on marantz PM6007 i hoped that any preamp like WX-c 50 can take the rca ins from the dvd but still i guess it will bypass the ess or burr brown dacs on the yamaha wx-c because i guess that the analog outputs wont involve the dacs.Correct me if i am wrong.

So seeing this set up what do u think is better to use as a netwrok streamer cum usb playing set up.i looked at allo boss2 since i saw it got a good dac and i can feed the rca outputs to the rca in of my marantz and get really good sound.But with the digione i need to buy a seperate dac like schitt which will increase the price further.

1.Marantz PM6007
3.Sony dvd player -rcs out to marantz(mainly for the presence of usb input that was missing on the philips)

Since i guess rcs out from sony dvd to marantz just bypasses the AKM dac on marantz PM6007 i hoped that any preamp like WX-c 50 can take the rca ins from the dvd but still i guess it will bypass the ess or burr brown dacs on the yamaha wx-c because i guess that the analog outputs wont involve the dacs.Correct me if i am wrong.

So seeing this set up what do u think is better to use as a netwrok streamer cum usb playing set up.i looked at allo boss2 since i saw it got a good dac and i can feed the rca outputs to the rca in of my marantz and get really good sound.But with the digione i need to buy a seperate dac like schitt which will increase the price further.

The PM 6007 doesn't have a usb input and the coax is already being used by your DVD player. So you will need to purchase an additional dac if you want to go with either USBridge or digione.

Looking at your setup I would steer you towards the Boss2 player. ASR has already measured it and found its dac to be on par with standalone dacs.

My amp, the Cambridge AXR85 doesn't have a dac built in. So I am getting a Topping E30 for optical in from the TV. That leaves both the USB and coax ins of the E30 free which gives me the option to go with digione or USBridge.

Think about your future upgrade plans and decide if you want to go with the Boss2 player or digione/USBridge + dac.
IMO if you're not going to use the other inputs of the dac, its better to not spend money on it.

ps - my advice is from a connectivity and vfm pov. I cannot compare these devices sonically as I've not heard any of them.

i am totally fine with buying rpi4 and setting up the HAT.but wat bothers me is the software.i read that one may need volumio paid for i guess tidal etc.apart from that does volumio support airplay2?
Yes, you need Volumio or a similar OS. There are few and each one has its own following. Not sure about the subscriptions.
Ummm..... Good Question. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Allo Bridge based on an Rpi 3B+? From what i gathered, you can add the digione signature hat module to the USBridge player which basically contains an Rpi module inside.
Are you sure about this? Digione and USbridge are hat boards that sit on the RPI board. As far as I know, A usbridge board does not sit on a Digione. Raspberry Pi is a separate self-sustaining board. Allo board sits on the Raspberry Pi board.

My bad, i misread it.

Yeh same boat, can understand. There is a lovely thread from FM Kannan on Allo setup. Just follow those steps and you should be good.

1.Marantz PM6007

Seeing your setup, I guess the Yamaha is more suited. Allo digione outputs Coaxial and the coaxial input on your amp is already taken. USBridge outputs USB which your amp does not have. Hope I have understood the setup right. You may want to look at the Allo Katana Stack to replace your Sony player. This comes with OS already present on an SD card. So you need to just set up the network and start using it.

KATANA Player

MaSh

Just get the Boss 2 player and everything is pre-built. Its a plug and play device and a ready to use streamer from the looks of it, replete with a display et al. Alternatively, go for a USbridge Player/Allo Digione Signature Player and use the extra cash saved on the WXC50 towards a better DAC.
I mean it in the best way possible but that makes no sense. There are going to be absolutely no gains when doing an analog to digital to analog conversion and you're actually going to lose out on SQ. My dac, whether the Ifi Zen DAC or the Chord Mojo, fed into my Marantz SR6013 sounds inferior to the DAC being connected directly to my PM6006 (now the Cambridge Audio CXA81 though i still have the PM6006 around).
Where did you order it from? I was also looking at the USBridge. The total cost for your addons should be around 32k from Fabtolab.
Fabtolab. 32K is without GST.
BTW, I don't see the point in adding the digione signature hat to the USBridge. You are only going to use one output, so why not just focus on either USB or SPDIF
Apparently the SQ of the Allo Digione Signature, and this is what I intend to put to the test, is better than that of the USBridge. In addition thereto, i wanted the flexibility as i have a Chord Mojo which accepts coaxial and optical inputs which the USBridge lacks. For me, my gear is not only for listening to music but also tinkering around. Though i find the Mojo to be teribbly incovenient and I'll most likely employ my ifi Zen DAC which is why i went for the USBridge, i wanted to see what was the maximum sound quality i could get for what i could spare for the time being.
Dunno about that but as i said, there are going to be no gains whatsoever and in fact, the most likely possibility is that the SQ will be inferior.
The Digione Signature coupled with ??Schiit??(where do you even get Schiit in India any longer?) should have better SQ than the Boss Player 2 but it entirely depends upon whether you want to spend extra on going that extra mile.
Are you sure about this? Digione and USbridge are hat boards that sit on the RPI board. As far as I know, A usbridge board does not sit on a Digione. Raspberry Pi is a separate self-sustaining board. Allo board sits on the Raspberry Pi board.
Am I sure? Heck No! As i said, the damn ordering process is so incredibly complicated and the information/description on the Allo and Fabtolab websites is so poor that I have very little idea about what is it that I purchased exactly.

But to clarify, i ordered the USBridge Signature Player and not the standalone USBridge Signature module so the former should (again, pure speculation from what I have gathered the web) have an RPi3B+ installed and as i understand it, its a plug and play device.
Yeh same boat, can understand. There is a lovely thread from FM Kannan on Allo setup. Just follow those steps and you should be good.
Will check it out. Thanks!
Seeing your setup, I guess the Yamaha is more suited. Allo digione outputs Coaxial and the coaxial input on your amp is already taken. USBridge outputs USB which your amp does not have. Hope I have understood the setup right.
Can't the Allo Digione/Signature's SPDIF out be connected to the optical in of the PM6007? Alternatively, the USBridge can be connected to a DAC, something like the Ifi Zen DAC (11K) which the FM will have to purchase but the final cost would equivalent to the WXC50. And you simply have to hear the SQ of the Ifi ZEN DAC, its phenomenal for the price. The best bit is the upgradeability, not to mention the fact that it also doubles up as a headphone amp. I use a pentaconn 4.4mm to XLR connector which improves the performance considerably over RCA (my amp has balanced inputs). Combined with the GTO filter - a firmware ugrade that costs absolutely nothing, it comes dangerously close to my Chord Mojo and you'd have to have a forensic ear to make out the difference. Convenience is also immense considering its simply powered through USB 3.0 and can double up as a headphone amp. And the build quality is fantastic and I daresay its better than my Mojo. in fact, one of the reasons why i decided to go with the entire Allo setup was because the Ifi Zen DAC can leverage a linear power supply as well through its DC 5v input, which then bypasses the power from the USB 3.0 and should improve the performane even further and it'll be interesting to see if it betters the Chord Mojo which the Zen DAC is at par with right now. Then again, the upgrades are not for an insubstantial amount of money - INR 8K for the 4.4mm pentaconn to XLR cable (goodluck finding a non-ifi branded one which could possibly be cheaper) and another 8K for the linear power supply (yet to test if this improves performace).
You may want to look at the Allo Katana Stack to replace your Sony player. This comes with OS already present on an SD card. So you need to just set up the network and start using it.

KATANA Player

MaSh
Looks like a great option but won't the Boss 2 player accomplish the same?

Last edited:
Got an update from FabtoLab. They do not have the Shanti LPSU in stock currently and therefore, are only shipping the Allo USBridge Signature Player and Allo Digione Signature hat module with the standard 5v adapter. They have assured me that they will ship it next week.

Its a good thing as it will allow me to gauge and get acclimatised to the improvement that the USBridge/Digione Signature may possibly bring to my setup. As a sequitur, it'll help me better gauge the benefits of adding an LPSU to the system.

I too would suggest that you go with the Yamaha WXC-50. I have been using one for more than a year now. Its DAC is very good. Neutral and detailed. Streaming too is top notch.
My question.Can i connect my dvd RCA out to the aux in on the WX-c50 and then use the coaxout or opt out to my Marantz PM6007 amp?Will the SQ be better or worse?

Got an update from FabtoLab. They do not have the Shanti LPSU in stock currently and therefore, are only shipping the Allo USBridge Signature Player and Allo Digione Signature hat module with the standard 5v adapter. They have assured me that they will ship it next week.

Its a good thing as it will allow me to gauge and get acclimatised to the improvement that the USBridge/Digione Signature may possibly bring to my setup. As a sequitur, it'll help me better gauge the benefits of adding an LPSU to the system.
fabtolab doesnt have an allo boss 2 player too.

ok so total cost cms smwhr near 21k with shanti.So close to the WX-c50
Alternatively, you can also use a powerbank (im sure every one of us has one lying around) which apparently sounds better than a linear PSU according to FM Drkrack or for that matter, the Nirvana SMPS which is for 3.5K but apparently is not as good as Shanti Linear PSU.

Except for the Nirvana SMPS, i'll be putting all permutations and combinations to the test so if you can control the itch for a couple of weeks, i may be able to provide some insight.

Did you manage to find the WXC50 for less than 25k? Current online prices seem to be in the 29k ballpark.

Alternatively, you can also use a powerbank (im sure every one of us has one lying around) which apparently sounds better than a linear PSU according to FM Drkrack or for that matter, the Nirvana SMPS which is for 3.5K but apparently is not as good as Shanti Linear PSU.

Except for the Nirvana SMPS, i'll be putting all permutations and combinations to the test so if you can control the itch for a couple of weeks, i may be able to provide some insight.

Did you manage to find the WXC50 for less than 25k? Current online prices seem to be in the 29k ballpark.
Yes i think thats just the online prices.It can be had for close to 25k or a bit less.
Yes i do have a MI power bank lying here.But this needs type c to power rt..the dirty and clean side probably

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back