Yamaha YHT 365 vs Denon DHT 390

vishal996

Hi guys,
This is my first post and Im looking for an entry level home theatre system. It is for my bedroom (size 17X12) and my budget is 30K. I have seen many combinations but for my budget I have shortlisted the following :

1) Yamaha YHT 365 (Amp- RX-V365 & Speakers NSP 110)
2) Denon DHT 390 (Amp AVR-309 & speakers SYS 390 HT)

Please advice on which one of these to go for. Both cost the same (30K). Neither of them support HD audio so I donno how much of an issue that is. Also Im planning to connect my DVD player straight to the TV and will connect the TV audio to the AV Receiver. Is this a good idea? Kindly help me out with this. Thanks in advance.

Vishal,

For a 30k budget, I would say that you go in for the Yam 465 AVR instead of the 365, as the 465 has 4 HDMI inputs and supports HD audio decoding. It's a steal currently, for anywhere between 19-22k across the country. In the grey market, the 465 is available for 17-18k.

Ebay India has some good deals on the 465 for 22k.

As for speakers, the NSP 110 5.1 set is an outdated model and quite basic. If you however want to start off with this speaker set, it is available for around 8-8.5k even on Ebay India. On some other thread someone else had said it could be even purchased for 6.5k. Whatever the case, I would seriously recommend the Yam 465 AVR as it is fully HD audio capable. I have a Yam 459 and it's great even though it can't do HD audio decoding. It doesn't have HDMI ports either.

Here are some links for you:

eBay India: Yamaha RX-V465 5.1 channel receiver 700W RMS (item 120599949757 end time 31-Jul-2010 16:17:46 IST)

eBay India: Yamaha RX-V465 AV Receiver 700w RMS, HDMI & Bluetooth. (item 300448999053 end time 22-Aug-2010 18:55:34 IST)

eBay India: Yamaha 5.1 HDMI Home Theater System & Mission Speakers (item 290459024535 end time 01-Aug-2010 23:40:00 IST)

NS-P110 5.1 Speaker System for 6.5k like I said:

eBay India: Yamaha NS-P110 Powerfull 5.1 Channel Speaker System. (item 290457059940 end time 22-Aug-2010 21:09:42 IST)

Mission 5.1 Speaker System:

eBay India: MIssion Cinema 30i - 5.1 Speaker System-For Real Sound. (item 290457064437 end time 22-Aug-2010 21:27:34 IST)

Check them all out and take a good decision my friend!

Hope that helps :)

Warm regards,
Venkat

Thanks guys for your reply...

SO now i'm looking at Yamaha RX-V 465 with NSP 110 speakers for around the same price (30K)

I also found out that Denon 1610 is available for 27K. If i were to increase my budget by around 5K i could get a Denon 1610 with NSP 110 (I know u guys dislike the 110!)

Firstly my confusion is between the Yamaha RX-V 465 and the Denon 1610. Please suggest as to which of the 2 is a better choice.

Secondly can u pls suggest a decent alternative to NSP110 which will not burn my pocket?

Thanks u guys once again.

The Denon 1610 is a very good AVR too, but considering the price difference between that and the Yam 465, I personally feel it's not worth it. 7k more ... that's the cost of your Yam NSP110 5.1 speakers! As for alternatives to the NSP110, well there's really nothing in that price range. The NSP110 itself is being sold at such a low price probably due to being an outdated model. Any decent sub-sat 5.1 speaker system would cost you around 20-25k. But that would take your budget to 40-45k overall. If you can stretch that much, there are certainly much better speakers available.

---Venkat

The NS-P110 speakers won't do justice to the RX-V465. I suggest you get a decent pair of bookshelves/floorstanders & then get the other stuff when your budget permits.

Now that u guys have convinced me not to go for NSP 110, r there any decent sat speakers that come in the price range of 10- 13K? I'm not interested in floorstand speakers cos it will be too bulky for my bedroom.

The dealer for Denon told me that 1610 will be good for a good 6-7 years considering its features so I was just wondering whether Denon is really superior to the Yam RX-V 465 feature wise or they have more or less similar features in which case i wud go for Yam.

Vishal, the cheapest sub-sat system I can think of for your budget, would be the Wharfedale MovieStar 65 system. It's quite highly rated (search on Google) by owners and should be available for 15-18k. I was offered the same here in Chennai for 17k, for a brand new pack.

As for the AVR, Denon 1610 and Yam 465 are almost similar. So if you get the Yam cheaper, just go for it.

---Venkat

thanks venkat,

u made my choice easier. now i'm fixed on the AVR ie. Yamaha RX-V 465. i will check out the wharfedales and get back.

Does anyone know where i can check out Wharfedales in Pune?

If you can stretch your budget by another 8-10k, you can get even the MovieStar 70+ which is even better. I was seriously considering this model until I finally picked up Yamaha NS-8390 floorstanders and NS-P60 centre/surround package for 19k (whole lot). Avidyarthy has the MS 70+ and is very happy with them. I was offered the MS 70+ here in Chennai for 30k (brand new) or 23k for a 6-month old sparingly used demo set.

---Venkat

Hi guys,
This is my first post and Im looking for an entry level home theatre system. It is for my bedroom (size 17X12) and my budget is 30K. I have seen many combinations but for my budget I have shortlisted the following :

1) Yamaha YHT 365 (Amp- RX-V365 & Speakers NSP 110)
2) Denon DHT 390 (Amp AVR-309 & speakers SYS 390 HT)

Please advice on which one of these to go for. Both cost the same (30K). Neither of them support HD audio so I donno how much of an issue that is. Also Im planning to connect my DVD player straight to the TV and will connect the TV audio to the AV Receiver. Is this a good idea? Kindly help me out with this. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Any particular reason that you are trying to build a HT for your bedroom. If you can stretch your budget by 5K, i would suggest you to go for Onkyo HTIB for your bedroom. They are unbeatable @ the price point, they have all the latest decoding options & should suffice your bedroom needs where you don't drive them loud. Check a couple of Onkyo HTIB's models in your city & then decide.

Hi,

Any particular reason that you are trying to build a HT for your bedroom. If you can stretch your budget by 5K, i would suggest you to go for Onkyo HTIB for your bedroom. They are unbeatable @ the price point, they have all the latest decoding options & should suffice your bedroom needs where you don't drive them loud. Check a couple of Onkyo HTIB's models in your city & then decide.

That kinda sums up my experience. I was at yet another Onkyo store today and checked out the HTS-3330 and the TX-SR608. Both fast selling and highly rated models.

For a HTiB, the HTS-3300, at Rs.23000 is nothing short of a steal. This was recommended to me by lot of gurus on HFV and now I know why :)

The reason i'm trying to build a HT in my bedroom is cos i spend most of my time at home in my bedroom... besides my mom watches her soap operas in the living practically all day... so wud never get a chance u play anything there...lol

I'm not too sure if the onkyo htibs match up the standards of yam or denon... personally i did hear a few of them but never took a liking for them...but thats my personal choice...

hey,

how does the yamaha nsp380 sound? The yamaha website has priced it at 20K and i'm hoping that it wud be cheaper at stores. I dont c any reviews available for it yet so donno how gud they r...

wud appreciate any feedback on them...cheers

hi guys,

i read price of yamaha yht 365 (receive+speaker) priced at 22k.

is that a good deal at this price?

my budget is below 25-26k.

pls advice.

From what I have heard, amongst low end stuff Onkyo > Denon > Yamaha.

So if your budget is less than 40k, Onkyo would probably be the best of the lot.

Although, none of them compete with brands like Polk Audio or Wharfedale etc.

However, even an Onkyo for 25k would probably beat a Denon at 30-35k+, from what I have heard.

You should audition with the same source material, eg: your ipod and then judge.

Besides, don't expect to get anything much better than what you heard and didn't like if you want to buy a 5.1 within 30k.

I would suggest going for a good 2.0 setup if you want good quality music. However, if surround sound and movies is your main objective, then Onkyo is perhaps the clear winner at 25k.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back