Yamaha YHT196 personal experience

Vinay , Thanks for the detailed review. I've purchased YHT-196 reviews here in Hifi. Couple of doubts I've regarding the set up you've mentioned

1) //It has 17 DSP settings for movies music and gaming. Set it to straight enhancer setting// Straight Enhancer is good for movies also? It is mentioned in manual straight enhancer is used in compressed audio sources only.

2) Since there is no USB in this Amp I play movie in my laptop connected through HDMI. In Laptop I'm using VLC with ( Directx audio and Dolby sound on ) , I feel that the dialogue volume is low. What might be the case.

3) I'm complete noob in HT, this is my first purchase og any Audio product. What settings in AMP will enhance the movie watching ( I very rarely listen to music) from my laptop using above set up. ( Should I let the computer or Amp process the sound? is there any setting in Amp allowing the Audio from Laptop as it is ?)
4) Do you think any specific Bass and Treble numbers are good for movies or Sound filed programs given in Amp is enough to achieve a desired experience.

As far as settings I've set the speaker distances correctly as mentioned in your review.
and the basic connections using manual.

Hi Magesh - I think I have explained my settings in detail in the initial threads. Please try that specifically subwoofer placement. Bass and treble are personal preferences so you can adjust to your liking or keep flat. You can also play with Crossover. In my case 100 - 120 works well. I have slightly enhanced the bass and treble in the receiver if that helps.
Now I mostly listen it in straight mode, straight enhancer mode gives little extra oomph I believe whether MP3 or any source and may be good for movie experience. My preference is to enhance the Centre volume (3 points) and surround volumes (2 points)

I am not sure but in VLC I think you need to select the source as 5.1. I use pioneer BDP160 with it so it is straight.

Hope this helps

@Vinay thanks for the info.. I'd set it up and it is just wow I've downloaded some Dolby clips and found them so good. Thanks to your review and others in this forum I've purchased a better HT.

Glad you are happy. If you are happy with Dolby then try DTS as well. Note that your system will sound as good as your source.

@Vinay thanks for the info.. I'd set it up and it is just wow I've downloaded some Dolby clips and found them so good. Thanks to your review and others in this forum I've purchased a better HT.
I think you should try playing your content via MPC BE or MPC HC instead of VLC.
It is easy to Bitstream using these players, esp MPC BE.

@kestrel5915 Thanks for the suggestion. I will download and use MPC BE. Even I felt the Video was jumpy when I was using VLC (i5 , 8GB RAM) with Directx output. If I use the Audio process settings of MPC BE player should I change/select any setting in my receiver to get the better audio output.

@kestrel5915 Thanks for the suggestion. I will download and use MPC BE. Even I felt the Video was jumpy when I was using VLC (i5 , 8GB RAM) with Directx output. If I use the Audio process settings of MPC BE player should I change/select any setting in my receiver to get the better audio output.
Sorry, I'm not sure about Yamaha settings.
In my Onkyo I usually use the Direct setting which plays the source as it is.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back