Your advice please: Marantz PM7001+Monitor Audio BR2 to Audio Engine A5

vpriyan

Hi

Right now I'm listening to my FLAC through PC with my Marantz PM7001 amp and Monitor Audio BR2 speakers. But due to space constraint I am thinking to replace this setup with Audioengine A5 speakers as this has built-in amp. Also I'm thinking to replace my built-in sound card to ASUS XONAR Essence STK two channel sound card which has Burr-brown DAC. By this I am thinking to make this as audiophile PC audio

I would like to know if there will be any reduction in sound quality from BR2 speakers with Marantz amp to Audioengine speakers even after changing my sound card

Could anyone in this forum please let me know your suggestions?

Thanks & Regards
VPriyan

I would like to know if there will be any reduction in sound quality from BR2 speakers with Marantz amp to Audioengine speakers even after changing my sound card

I've heard both the setups and can say that there will be a noticeable change in sound with this downgrade. As good as it can be, the A5 is still a budget compromise compared to separates. It's advocated when you need to make spacial compromises, just like in your present situation perhaps.

If active monitors are the way to go, then you may check out monitors from AVI, Dynaudio, Quad or even the Sonodyne that someone mentioned recently. I happen to read about the Focal Solo6 Be active monitors and find them interesting too.

Cheers.

Thanks for your suggestion

Do you mean to say even Sonodyne PQUBE is better than Audioengine 5

My budget is 25k to 30k max. Could you please tell me there is any good active speaker in this price range particularly with good low end response?

Also is B&W MM-1 worth as I came to see in what hifi review that they are the best computer speakers till date? Is it true?

Thanks
VPriyan

Priyan, what kind of space constraints are you working with? That would determine what you need to pick up. if the space constraint is just the amplifier, why don't you consider a tripath amplifier hooked up to the BR2 itself to see if you like it. Since from the fact that you have a space constraints i am guessing you're in a small room, this combination ought to be a good option and with minimum change in your setup. I would offer to bring my tripath along to your place for you to check it out, but these kind of promises i make to a lot of people and then break it simply because I don't have the time, but where in chennai do you live anyway?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back