Your Room 😀 makes the deference

I strongly disagree.
2 separate channels, left n right are recorded for a stero recording.
For stereo recordings left and right are obviously recorded. But most of the recordings are mono and effects are added later. Tell me if vocals, guitars are recorded in stereo?

I think what you & I are referring to mono are completely different.

What I'm referring to as Mono is when the entire performance is recorded at the same time by a single microphone.

I think what you & I are referring to mono are completely different.

What I'm referring to as Mono is when the entire performance is recorded at the same time by a single microphone.
When you mention 'entire performance', are you referring to a solo artist/small/large group of performers? It is uncommon for a large group performance to be recorded with a single microphone. Usually, each instrument in the group is individually mic'd up to ensure greater control during the mixing process. It is possible to record a small group around a single mic, provided the output level of each instrument is in line with the desired result.

Or.jpg

Yes, when I mean entire performance, I mean the Entire :) performance ... Solo, Trio or Orchestra!

This was usually done Historically, before Stereo reproduction was invented

Recording each individual instrument separately is, to me, a track, which is then mixed down to 2 channels, for stereo

Last edited:
Yes, when I mean entire performance, I mean the Entire :) performance ... Solo, Trio or Orchestra!

This was usually done Historically, before Stereo reproduction was invented

Recording each individual instrument separately is, to me, a track, which is then mixed down to 2 channels, for stereo
Yes. It depends upon the recording engineer. The whole performance can be recorded using a stereo microphone. But there will be more microphones to capture sounds at each zones. Also, lead instrument will have its own mic. In the case of a small group of musicians, the stereo micing technique is used to capture the ambience, and individual microphones are set for each individual set of instruments. For most of the Indian music, each instrument is recorded separately with one or more microphones in mono mode and during mixing, the effects are added.

Yes. It depends upon the recording engineer. The whole performance can be recorded using a stereo microphone. But there will be more microphones to capture sounds at each zones. Also, lead instrument will have its own mic. In the case of a small group of musicians, the stereo micing technique is used to capture the ambience, and individual microphones are set for each individual set of instruments. For most of the Indian music, each instrument is recorded separately with one or more microphones in mono mode and during mixing, the effects are added.
Do you work in broadcasting by any chance? If not, you should.
Crowd noices must be 'calibrated', positive or negative, in sports, peace 👍🏻

Last edited:
The Ballad of Bill Hubbard" by Roger Waters
"Ayala" by Mobitex

Depending on your room and placement, you'll hear it..
That Roger Waters Album is recorded on QSound algorithms, it'll sound 3d or holographic in Almost Every system, including headphones. It has nothing much to do with your room treatment & its impact on 3d presentation.
For more Albums recorded in that format dig Qsound Wik.
Beauty of room treatment lies in making ordinarily recorded Albums like Bollywood or 70s Rock, sound holographic with reasonable instrumental separation and vocal clarity.

Side and back of speakers ( in U shape) should be covered with absorption material, Floor and Ceiling absorption, including the back of the listening position, add diffuser if you feel the room is boringly warmish, QRD diffuser at first reflection point or skyline diffuser at front or back should be enough to add required liveliness. A Subjective mix and match of absorption and diffuser should be tried instead of absorption alone. in general, never allow reflections to create an echo and artificially appear to be extracting more out of the track.

Last edited:
That Roger Waters Album is recorded on QSound algorithms, it'll sound 3d or holographic in Almost Every system, including headphones. It has nothing much to do with your room treatment & its impact on 3d presentation.
For more Albums recorded in that format dig Qsound Wik.
This is interesting. Not every system though. Not most systems in fact.
Beauty of room treatment lies in making ordinarily recorded Albums like Bollywood or 70s Rock, sound holographic with reasonable instrumental separation and vocal clarity.

Side and back of speakers ( in U shape) should be covered with absorption material, Floor and Ceiling absorption, including the back of the listening position, add diffuser if you feel the room is boringly warmish, QRD diffuser at first reflection point or skyline diffuser at front or back should be enough to add required liveliness. A Subjective mix and match of absorption and diffuser should be tried instead of absorption alone.
quite the knowledge dump. Nearly ran out of breath reading it.
in general, never allow reflections to create an echo and artificially appear to be extracting more out of the track.
Do you mean reverb or echo?

This is interesting. Not every system though. Not most systems in fact.
Yes please do check those QSound Albums, they are incredibly well mastered with 3D holographic presentation and Layering kept in mind, not only laterally also the height of the Soundstage is super impressive. Almost all Systems with Decent imaging, it sounds good with separation & details .

the knowledge dump. Nearly ran out of breath reading it.
Didn't mean to overwhelm you, let me simplify.
1.Not treating the side walls to use the reflections is illogical, not required.
2. If in doubt, cover all 6 surfaces(4walls & Ceiling, floor) with uniform absorption material(Non reflection type, even a thin material is ok) and Subsequently add QRD or Skyline diffusers strategically to get a desired liveliness. This is what non technically sound acoustic professionals do, sometimes they don't even do a basic set of measurements. Just by clapping and assessing the echo, they conclude.

Do you mean reverb or echo?
Not Reverb, Echo or Reflection.

I don't get it.
Before switching my profession, I used to be a recording and mixing engineer.
It makes sense because you seem to know & understand a lot about recording. I only wish our mixing engineers in live cricket broadcast now a days had the same kind of care about audio. Even video as well, looking at Jio's broadcast of cricket tournaments, we can improve a lot. Only Australian sports seems to have the best ecosystem of players, broadcasters and media 😀

It makes sense because you seem to know & understand a lot about recording. I only wish our mixing engineers in live cricket broadcast now a days had the same kind of care about audio. Even video as well, looking at Jio's broadcast of cricket tournaments, we can improve a lot. Only Australian sports seems to have the best ecosystem of players, broadcasters and media 😀
Hahhaha. Maybe in matter of few years we will get good audio for live sports. 😁

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back