Your turntable journey? and dream destination?

G401fan

Here's mine:

Family set-ups:

Philco console (mainly playing 78s from the 50s and 60s)
HMV 'suitcase' system (with amp and idler TT in the lower half, speakers in the lid)
HMV 1010 system

Bought by me after I joined the work force:

Garrard 6300 changer, as part of Murphy console
Philips 7213, belt-drive
Dual 2235, direct drive
Linn Sondek LP 12
Thorens TD 160 Super (start of a two TT set-up, replaced by:
Garrard 401 and
Garrard 301.

No longer tempted to upgrade, but might still buy, if found locally:
Thorens TD 124/II
Lenco L75

Unlikely to find, or afford, but still dream about:
SME 20/30
Avid Acutus
SME V tonearm

Your journey?

Yours is a pretty good & some classic TT collection. Congrats.
Though, I started to learn about TT when my dad showed his old HMV Fiesta System with an external sound box in the set bought in 1975. Idler Driven, Mono with amps inbuilt. COuld play 4 speeds - 16/33/45/78 of course with a ceramic cart. I played old records on these TT as a kid which belonged to my father. I still have the original cash bill of this player which was 469/- INR in feb. 1975.
when as a student , got an HMV system, quite similar to yours with a speaker on its upper lid as a gift from a friend who didnt use it. Fiesta Popular.
When I started earning, I bought a Philips 633 Stereo TT with inbuilt amp as I didnt had a stereo tt. This is when i actually started buying more of vinyls to hear the stereo reproduction. In the meanwhile also got myself a Philips 832 stereo player with sound boxes. Sounds best among the lot i mentioned.
Then I became fond of technics and now my technics is in shipping route. Will reach soon.

But technics or philips, or be it any other expensive TT that i may acquire in future, my dad's HMV will be the closest to my heart because I started my vinyl journey on it and more than that - my dad passed away few months ago and this record player bought by him is now invaluable to me. I will never part with this player and will always keep it in top condition.

I am sorry to bring this into it but couldn't help.

Thanks for reading.

I started my Analog journey a few months back. I was planning for a Rega RP6 and matching systems as I quite liked it and the entire system will be in affordable range for me. I was going to different shops dealing with different TT brands despite the fact that I had decided to buy RP6, and I stumbled up on an used and very well looked after Linn LP12 Sondek which I fell in love with immediately and bought it (Without knowing what I am stepping into). As the result, I had to buy a Naim Amp (In place of Rega Brio-R that I had planned) , then had to buy an external phono stage as opposed to the plan of using built in phono of Brio-R, lastly I have to buy Linn Majik speakers as opposed to the original plan of buying Rega speakers, all this has resulted in me spending lot more money than I originally planned.

All in all I have held tiger's tail and can't let it go :p

@G401fan - do you use Linn LP12 ? What tonearm do you use ? Thanks

Last edited:
My journey started with a Philips record player and is presently stuck at Linn Sondek LP12 and RadioTechnika turntables.

Dream Destination ?

Clear Audio Statement !

Now whether the dream comes true or not, is another thing.

Started with

1. HMV 1010 moved to
2. Cosmic Cogram then
3. Heybrook TT2 and finally two TTs

Heybrook and a 301.

No upgrade when it comes to TTs as both are extremely good performers. But would look to get a 12 inch tonearm for the 301. Micro Seiki ma 202 on TT2 may also be shifted to 301 in future.

Last edited:
Nice thread.

- HMV Fiesta Popular (1980s)
- Phillips box like contraption which included two cassette decks and a radio in a cubical format.
- Technics SL QX 33, which was replaced by
- Linn Sondek LP12
- Garrard 301

Dream of Banana 997 + SPU combination or SME V on the 301...

Dream TT - Micro Seiki SZ-1, which I missed a few months back...

Idler Driven, Mono . COuld play 4 speeds - 16/33/45/78 of course with a ceramic cart. I played old records on these TT as a kid which belonged to my father. I still have the original cash bill of this player which was 469/- INR in feb. 1975.

But technics or philips, or be it any other expensive TT that i may acquire in future, my dad's HMV will be the closest to my heart because I started my vinyl journey on it and more than that - my dad passed away few months ago and this record player bought by him is now invaluable to me. I will never part with this player and will always keep it in top condition.
I am sorry to bring this into it but couldn't help.

Thanks for reading.

Pretty much the same story as mine ....... same sentiments. Only thing ... the HMV TT ... 4 speeds, ceramic mono cartridge (EEI) is dated 1962, and I have taken special care to maintain it in top working condition ... still.

Here's mine:

Family set-ups:

Philco console (mainly playing 78s from the 50s and 60s)
HMV 'suitcase' system (with amp and idler TT in the lower half, speakers in the lid)
HMV 1010 system

Bought by me after I joined the work force:

Garrard 6300 changer, as part of Murphy console
Philips 7213, belt-drive
Dual 2235, direct drive
Linn Sondek LP 12
Thorens TD 160 Super (start of a two TT set-up, replaced by:
Garrard 401 and
Garrard 301.

No longer tempted to upgrade, but might still buy, if found locally:
Thorens TD 124/II
Lenco L75

Unlikely to find, or afford, but still dream about:
SME 20/30
Avid Acutus
SME V tonearm

Your journey?

G401Fan,
Having seen your setup on my visits to your place (over 15 years ago) I can only say WOW!! I am sure you will get to your "dream gear" soon :)

I have been recently lurking around these boards since my own interest in vinyl has reignited for no apparent reason. This place sure is vibrant. Where were all you guys when I lived in India?? Just kidding :D

I had an unfortunate incident with my audio gear recently, primarily my LP gear. Earlier this year I had stored a lot of my audio equipment along with other things, in a storage facility since we were remodelling our house. In May of this year, while we were on vacation, we got a call informing us the unit we stored our things in suffered heavy damage due to a tornado (quite common here in the Midwest). I was hoping some miracle would save my Rega Planar and Luxman but no such luck!

Suffice to say it pains me just writing this :(

But all is not lost I guess. The bright side is my LP's were never moved so I still have those. And I resurrected an old Technics LP player that was gathering dust and hooked it up with some Cerwin Vega's I picked up from Craig's recently (fabulous speakers these!). I'm hoping to snag a decent Sansui or Luxman on CL but no rush there.

I guess you could say the spark has been reignited. That is scary since this hobby is not cheap! :)

@G401fan - do you use Linn LP12 ? What tonearm do you use ? Thanks

Hi,
I sold the Linn 3 years ago to a forum member (he's listed it on this thread), to make way for the 301. Sadly, space issues at home make it impossible to have more than two TTs running at any one time.

But, I did use it for many many years, first with a Basik LV-X arm, followed by an SME 3009 II improved (fixed headshell). It sounded divine, and I still have occasional regrets about having to let it go.

regards,

I guess you could say the spark has been reignited. That is scary since this hobby is not cheap! :)

Terrible thing to have happened, Bugsnest, but glad to know that your LPs are safe, as they're the toughest to replace. Will always cherish the great times we had in Bombay, and our Chor Bazaar forays. Keep that analog flag flying!

regards,

My TT Journey :

1) Local made TT ,Idler drive with ceramic cartridge EEI,
2) Philips TT idler drive with Philips ceramic cart,
3) Cosmic BD 2000 Belt drive with EEI 100 cart,
4) Akai BD 22 belt drive with AT-91 carts,
5) Technics SLD 212 with AT-91 cart,
6) Kenwood KD-3100 with Shure M97xE, Grado, and AT-95 carts,

----------------------------------------------

N.Murali

my TT journey:

Family,

1) dad before I was born made a custom tone arm with an HMV mono ceramic cartridge (light weight tracking) and fitted it to an old gramaphone which his father gave to him (he did something to the governor to get it to run at 33 1/3 rpm. He had to wind the gramaphone after each track. LPs from the American Library in Trivandrum were doing duty on this contraption. This was when he was in engineering school back in the late 1950s.

2) in the mid 1960s, dad got his first record player, a HMV Calypso record player, 4-speed with mono ceramic cart. I remember him using this when i was very little. It did not have an inbuilt amp but could be closed up like a suitcase.

3) early 1970s, in came the Garrard SP25 MK1 with Shure M75-6 cart from England, great TT and my dad used it all along, until he passed away in May 2009. Great memories from both these TTs.

My TTs.

During my first visit to the United States in 2003, got myself a Teac P988 belt drive. Remember hand carrying it from the United States and also vividly remember the laugh my dad had when he saw it. He said it was like rubbish, compared to the TTs he'd seen in his day.

During another visit to the United States in 2006, got myself a Technics SLBD20B belt drive and was happy with it till I realized that I wanted a direct drive.

In 2008, got myself a Technics SL3200 which I am using till date. The Teac was sold and the Technics SLBD20B is doing duty at my brother's place.

No idea what happened to the HMV gramaphone and the HMV calypso TT, guess Dad must have sold them off. After my dad's passing, the family decided to put up all his gear for sale and the Garrard landed in the safe hands of FM Gopib.

Destination: unknown, maybe Thorens TD124 or EMT 938 (have to get my next promotion before I can have spare funds for these)

Last edited:
Hi,

Nice subject. Mine one follows:

Papa's setup
HMV idler
National Panasonic 3 in 1 suitcase system
Technics sp-10 with Jelco arm on a diy plinth. Still good.
Akai belt drive.(presently my RCM TT).

My acquisitions:
Sherwood belt drive
Sonodyne direct drive
Sansui SR 535 (deceased)
Garrard 301 with SME 3009 arm, diy plinth.
Technics 1200 mk2 (Needed an audiophile grade plug & play after sp10 & 301).

Dreams: don't dare to reveal as wife also reads this forum.

Best regards,

Bhaskar

Nice thread. My story started in Jan this year. No previous experience before getting an used Michell Gyrodec SE from a fellow member from Chennai about seven months ago.

Collected so far about 320 LPs - mainly from used market and also new.

Dream:
I am happy with my system and desire to remain so in rest of my life. Hope, my sons will love it and maintain it

Regards

Amit

My first TT was a BSR in 1971, with my tube amp using EZ81, ECC83 & EL84 if I remember correctly, then in 1980 I bought a QQ JVC Turntable in Port Said (Egypt) for USD.150/- approx RS.1500/-(then), which I still use with an AT cartridge, I have been collecting records since 1969 till 1983 so have a decent collection.

I started with a Project Debut III with Project Phono Box MM few months back.

I added the following upgrades recently

1. OM 30 Stylus (no cartridge upgrade, just the stylus on the stock OM 5E cart body)
2. Project Speed Box
3. Acryli It platter.

My next upgrade would be either of the following :licklips:

Clearaudio Concept Turntable w/ Verify Tonearm

Music Hall MMF-9.1 Turntable

John.

I started searching for Turntables but in mysore it was unavailable.

So i went to Bangalore SUNDAY BAZAAR and found 2 turntables one is Philips and other one is Toshiba. Both were in Worst condition except Diamond Needle and the cartridge.

So i purchased it and repaired it now both are working fine :)

Hi,

I found a lots of used kannada records in the following shop in Bangalore. The quality of most of the records are not that great. However there are plenty of records and if you are lucky, you may find a good quality one from the lot.

balaji silk complex, avenue road, bangalore
PH: 09342410288

-John.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back