Zone 2 in onkyo TX SR 705

mahiruha

Hello guys,
I want to ask that how this zone 2 function works. Yesterday I received my Lyrita speakers so to Try them out I tried to connect them to the zone 2 speaker section and selected the normal cd source but didn't get any sound. any idea what might be the problem.do I need to connect another cd player for the zone 2 inputs?Can somebody please help me out.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Hello guys,
I want to ask that how this zone 2 function works. Yesterday I received my Lyrita speakers so to Try them out I tried to connect them to the zone 2 speaker section and selected the normal cd source but didn't get any sound. any idea what might be the problem.do I need to connect another cd player for the zone 2 inputs?Can somebody please help me out.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

As far as I can remember you have to adjust the settings in the Zone 2 first and have to select the source input to get any sound output from Zone2.
Also did you try out the settings we discussed on the other thread yesterday?

As far as I can remember you have to adjust the settings in the Zone 2 first and have to select the source input to get any sound output from Zone2.
Also did you try out the settings we discussed on the other thread yesterday?

I have done the settings as per manual. Which other thread you are talking about??

I'm not familiar with your receiver, but for Zone 2 on the Denon receiver I had to connect/use the analog cables from my sound source.

Also check and see if you can get the tuner/radio sound in Zone 2. That should tell you if your speaker connections are ok.

I think these receivers only act as a pre amp in case of zone 2. One need an additional power amp in the zone 2 to get sound out of the speaker. Just a query when somebody is using pre and power combo where do we attach the speakers?

I think these receivers only act as a pre amp in case of zone 2. One need an additional power amp in the zone 2 to get sound out of the speaker. Just a query when somebody is using pre and power combo where do we attach the speakers?

This is not necessarily true. When you use the AVR as 5.1 in main zone, it does power the speakers in Zone 2. Please go through the manual carefully. You have first select Zone 2, then select the source. In addition to using additional sources, all existing sources can also be used for Zone 2.

Cheers

what arvi is saying is correct. You can not get output from zone 2 if you use digital sources. And his suggestion of using FM is bang on!

Last edited:
If there are speaker binding posts for zone 2, then it will act as power amp too. Onkyo and many other do not allow digital connection output to zone 2. Crazy restriction, but that's the way it is.

regards

This is not necessarily true. When you use the AVR as 5.1 in main zone, it does power the speakers in Zone 2. Please go through the manual carefully. You have first select Zone 2, then select the source. In addition to using additional sources, all existing sources can also be used for Zone 2.

Cheers

Yeah that was my initial assumption also but when every attempt failed I just disconnected the front speakers and and connected the lyrita speakers there. Another thing was also surprising the banana plugs that came with the speakers didn't go in so I had remove them and insert bare wire. I didn't know that banana plugs have different diameters.

Another thing was also surprising the banana plugs that came with the speakers didn't go in so I had remove them and insert bare wire. I didn't know that banana plugs have different diameters.

Banana plug sockets have a standard diameter. The plugs themselves may have various tension mechanism to sit tightly inside the socket.

For some strange reason, Onkyo's sold in this region do not support banana plugs. You have to use bare wires or spades.

Cheers

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back