DIY Super Simple Preamp

Hi,
Few days back while checking old stuff,I found LM1458N which I don't remember from where I got it.Just for curiosity,I checked its specifications and found that it can be used in ssp though they are not great-
LM1458N/NOPB Texas Instruments | Mouser

Just ran the system and found this op-amp very easy on ears.It was not only taking out details with ease,but not sounding harsh.Treble is sweet and well rounded.Instruments were well separated and have their own space in between.Background details were easily traced without need to find them.
Vocals and mids where it shines better.Vocals sounded natural and not to mention in the center.This opamp sounded neither laid back nor on the face.Its just played the music the way it should sound.
Bass is certainly present and goes deep easily depending on recordings.Yes the level of lows may be marginally low than rest of the frequencies.May be mid bass is little less.
The best part is you can easily forget speakers and enjoy the music.Feel of Saxophone, Piano was very realistic.Acoustic guitar strings appeals just the way you expect.There is hardly any congestion in the sound.
What I missed? The bigger sound stage.May be as said,mid bass have low levels and so the large sound stage can be missed.But in average room and with towers, this opamp can give a feel of real hifi for less price.I played on Bookshelf,also Tower speakers and so can conclude.

Comparing to DCB1,it has lesser sound stage say by 15%.DCB1 is more smooth,but this opamp sounded detailed.Also plus is the gain.

Coming to Burson opamp,observations same like dcb1.But burson can sound harsh occasionally with some recordings.Burson has more attack though.

Opamp 2134 is very warm compared to 1458 and instrument separation is not better than 1459.Yes sound stage of 2134 is bigger and laidback.

Lme49990 is the most silent in comparison.More musical than 2134.Good signature ,but some how I felt,other than soundstage,I did not miss anything with LM1458.

In short,if you get a chance to buy LM1458N for cheap locally,just try it.You might like it and the music can go step ahead without need of costly opamp.I can certainly say,Hifi sound(audiophile?) for lesser price with little compromise on soundstage. :)
Cheers.

Last edited:
I have one issue with SSP. One channel stopped working.No sound.So checked DC offset,I am getting -8.2 V around. So tried some testing with resistors.Removed 10k and even 8.2 value,DC offset then started showing +9V.
When I add either of these resistors,DC offset shows again -8.2V around.
Now I am confused,what can be it?
This happens only when opamp is in socket.Without it and when powered up ssp,no DC offset.So tried another opamp,still same issue.

I have one issue with SSP. One channel stopped working.No sound.So checked DC offset,I am getting -8.2 V around. So tried some testing with resistors.Removed 10k and even 8.2 value,DC offset then started showing +9V.
When I add either of these resistors,DC offset shows again -8.2V around.
Now I am confused,what can be it?
This happens only when opamp is in socket.Without it and when powered up ssp,no DC offset.So tried another opamp,still same issue.
Can anyone tell me what can be the problem?

See soldering of IC sockets pins. SSP is not complex at all. If you are done with 10k and 8.2k resistance in that channel then dry solder or PCBs track damage.
if problem is in only on one channel then OPAMP need tested or use other TL072 for testing. PS seems okay. But still verify pin 4, 8 voltage of OPAMP.
BTW how voltage seen on output? SSP has 2.2uf capacitor on output.

See soldering of IC sockets pins. SSP is not complex at all. If you are done with 10k and 8.2k resistance in that channel then dry solder or PCBs track damage.
if problem is in only on one channel then OPAMP need tested or use other TL072 for testing. PS seems okay. But still verify pin 4, 8 voltage of OPAMP.
BTW how voltage seen on output? SSP has 2.2uf capacitor on output.
Its not at final output,but before capacitor after opamp.
I changed 100K resister,still problem.I need to change 8.2 resister and see.
I tried re-soldering at opamp feet,still no success.

Problem in short-

If all parts soldered,I get -8.4volt reading (before output cap to 0 of powersupply)

If I short both 100K and 8.2(one leg removed),I get +9 volt reading similarly.

This happens only when opamp added in socket.I changed 2 opamps, still problem remains.One track runs without issue.While running music,if I touch input socket(+ve),I can hear click sound.
So all confusing.
Is our ssp pcb multi layered?

SSP is single layer PCB. See I am telling you to check circuit connections. If you lift legs of parts, naturally it will showup. Individual part may not at fault unless broken. Chances are slim because all resistance are bigger values and may not burn with 10V.
Compare with working channel and try new TL072 OPAMP.

measure the dc offset of your source, just to make sure. switch the two channels and see if the problem moves to the other channel. post some pics of the backside of the pcb. ssp is a single layer board.

Last edited:
Well,the issue started only after I added terminal blocks.
I soldered all parts on raw board and everything worked perfectly.

xqcoyu.jpg

Then you might have shorted some wires wrongly, or made some wrong connection.

Have the circuit diagram in front of you and trace every line and mark on the diagram what you've traced with marker or any different coloured ink. You should be able to trace the mistake if you do systematically.

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie. I had communication with Sachin, he has a spare kit and he's going to send it to me.

I have a query though, I have multiple inputs (ipod/ mobile / Rasberry PI) so was wandering if I can have parallel connections at the input end?

OR

Connecting all the devices simultaneously. Will this be a correct approach?

If there is any way to do that.

Regards,
Tushar G

Last edited by a moderator:
So I was wandering if I can connect parallel connections to the input using RCA plugs.

Connecting all the devices simultaneously. Will this be a correct approach? :rolleyes:

The SSP board is designed for one input and one output. To have more than one input, you will need to use a relay based active input source selector with appropriate front panel selector knob, or you can also use two-pole N-way source selector switch. I use the second one for my buffer. It's simple and cost effective. Detailed information in the Kuartlotron buffer build thread.

You cannot connect all devices simultaneously.

Thanks a lot guys for your reply.:signthankspin:

But I am a novice...so if there any link or snapshot it would be really helpful. :)

Regards,
Tushar G

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie. I had communication with Sachin, he has a spare kit and he's going to send it to me.

I have a query though, I have multiple inputs (ipod/ mobile / Rasberry PI) so was wandering if I can have parallel connections at the input end?

OR

Connecting all the devices simultaneously. Will this be a correct approach?

If there is any way to do that.

Regards,
Tushar G
Have a look -
Input Selection Modules

This one has least wiring, but drill the rca holes correctly its centers 14mm apart.
4 Channel Audio Input Selector System ISS-02

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Mishraji.... 4 Channel Audio Input Selector is awesome :yahoo:

Sorry for the duplicate post :( I should have searched the forum before posting my query.

Regards,
Tushar Ganvir.

Thanks a lot Mishraji.... 4 Channel Audio Input Selector is awesome :yahoo:

Sorry for the duplicate post :( I should have searched the forum before posting my query.

Regards,
Tushar Ganvir.
:D, it's not duplicate post from your side, but my browser done it during refresh. So i tried deleting content.
Cheers.

First of all........ Thanks to Sachin for the SSP kit. Delivered..in just two days. :signthankspin:

Also, thanks for guiding me on how to solder the kit. :clapping:

Below are the initial images of my kit...... still lot of are things pending.:eek:hyeah:

Open for suggestions.. :)

IMG_20160305_160736_zps20bxsavl.jpg

IMG_20160305_160725_zps7h0tbvzu.jpg

Will post the completed Kit shortly.

Thanks,
Tushar Ganvir

Open for suggestions.. :)

IMG_20160305_160725_zps7h0tbvzu.jpg

Will post the completed Kit shortly.
Watch out, you have reversed CCW pin of Left channel 'L', swapped CCW and CW. Your '-R' goes to shielded bread at CCW, but in 'L' channel red wire goes to 'CCW' and shielded bread is connected to 'CW'. There are mirrored pin layout among the L & R at input AND output.

-L, +L and +R, -R

At volume pot connection -> CCW, W, CW and CW, W , CCW

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back