“TRUENO” - A 3-Way Vented Enclosure with 18 Inch Sub, 10 Inch Mid and a Compression Drive.

sadik

I have shared many of my projects in this forum, but this is going to be one of the giant project so far because of the size of its driver. I have named these gaints as “TRUENO” it is a Spanish word for “clap of thunder”. I will be using (biggest size for me till date) An 18 inch low frequency transducer having Fs: 33hz with power rating of 900 watts RMS. The mids will be supported by 10 inch Low-Mid frequency transducer having Fs: 65hz & Highs will be taken over by 1.4” High Frequency Compression Driver capable of handling power of 90 Watts RMS @ 1.5 khz, fixed to a horn which will cover 80 deg angle in horizontal plane and 50 deg angle in vertical plane. Forgive me i have not mentioned the model and make of drivers as the owner has asked me not to mention them anywhere & I respect his words.

I have selected Russian birch ply for this enclosure. A 25mm thickness will be used on the front where drivers are mounted. An additional ring of 19 mm thickness will be glued on the back side for mounting of woofer. The rest of the sides will be of 18 mm thickness.The Mid will have its own dedicated chamber to prevent distortion of cone which could happen due to pumping of air by the sub. We do not have to worry about this for compression drive so our compression drive and sub will share common chamber. As usual all cutting is done on CNC. Enjoy the built process till now.

Below are the photos of cutting. Benefit of CNC cutting is we don't have to worry about the shape. We can cut it in any shape. Those on the top are the braces. Those braces are cutted in such a way that it will provide adequate support as well as it will help in free movement of air inside the enclosure, on the topping the edges of braces are rounded off to minimize any kind of turbulence noise inside enclosure.
IMG_20200621_133440.jpg

Next photo is of front where drivers will be mounted, all drivers will be mounted with L N bolt and a T nut. & Below this photo you can see the ring. This ring will be glued on the backside of the front where the woofer will be mounted for extra support.
IMG_20200621_134351(1).jpg
IMG_20200621_134353.jpg

Now the assembly works starts. Forgive me i did not take many pictures throughout the built journey. In below photo bracing assembly starts. This brace will also provide support for the compression driver (I will call it “CD” in short) too. You can see the round at the bottom, that round will support the magnet of CD. Yes the Diameter of Magnet is almost 8 inch and it weight around 7 Kg.

IMG_20200626_180013.jpg

In below photo you can see the mid chambers are glued with the front.
IMG_20200715_110334.jpg

Now the front is being glued with the side wall. The ring is also been glued on its place. Then the braces will be glued after that another side wall will be glued then Top, after that back & in the end bottom.
IMG_20200715_164712.jpg
IMG_20200718_180039.jpg
IMG_20200719_122038.jpg

Do not dare to point out my tummy.... lol. In below pic you can see me as well as the other side wall being glued.
IMG_20200719_180142.jpg
IMG_20200719_180153.jpg

I don't have clamps which are longer than 36 inch so i had to do some desi jugaad for clamping the top wall. I am not explaining the jugaad you can get the idea after having a look on the below photos.
IMG_20200722_173346.jpg
IMG_20200722_173354.jpg

But then i learned a new trick to extend the clamps someone guided me in a right direction and i picked it up. You can view it in the below video.

This is the Progress till date. I will keep on updating as the journey moves ahead.

Awesome as always, Sadik Bhai! Who did the crossovers this time? Aniket? Or are they yet to be done?

You are now truly exploring unchartered territories. That is some great effort there. Wishing you all success.
What about the crossover?

Great, how has he designed? With data sheet? The boxes are still WIP and drivers are not yet mounted. I need to learn this method.

Yes with the published parameters of drivers in datasheet. Final tuning will be done after measurements.

Hi,

Great job!

Is it something similar to Troels Gravesen's The Loudspeaker/The Loudspeaker-2 builds?

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

Woah... you could name as Kelvinator - as big a fridge is definitely, raising temperatures of the viewers. Jokes apart, this is massive project!! Cant wait for the listening impressions.

Amazing build ,i hope u r moving in right direction with the selection of drivers,all the best for ur project

Hi,

Great job!

Is it something similar to Troels Gravesen's The Loudspeaker/The Loudspeaker-2 builds?

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi
No it dose not have any connection with Troels. This is just a simple bass reflex enclosure a very common & easiest design actually.

Amazing build ,i hope u r moving in right direction with the selection of drivers,all the best for ur project
Even though its a DIY, it's a big investment. We have checked every factor and then only finalized the design, & from my past experiences i dont see it may go wrong anywhere.

I have shared many of my projects in this forum, but this is going to be one of the giant project so far because of the size of its driver. I have named these gaints as “TRUENO” it is a Spanish word for “clap of thunder”. I will be using (biggest size for me till date) An 18 inch low frequency transducer having Fs: 33hz with power rating of 900 watts RMS. The mids will be supported by 10 inch Low-Mid frequency transducer having Fs: 65hz & Highs will be taken over by 1.4” High Frequency Compression Driver capable of handling power of 90 Watts RMS @ 1.5 khz, fixed to a horn which will cover 80 deg angle in horizontal plane and 50 deg angle in vertical plane. Forgive me i have not mentioned the model and make of drivers as the owner has asked me not to mention them anywhere & I respect his words.

I have selected Russian birch ply for this enclosure. A 25mm thickness will be used on the front where drivers are mounted. An additional ring of 19 mm thickness will be glued on the back side for mounting of woofer. The rest of the sides will be of 18 mm thickness.The Mid will have its own dedicated chamber to prevent distortion of cone which could happen due to pumping of air by the sub. We do not have to worry about this for compression drive so our compression drive and sub will share common chamber. As usual all cutting is done on CNC. Enjoy the built process till now.

Below are the photos of cutting. Benefit of CNC cutting is we don't have to worry about the shape. We can cut it in any shape. Those on the top are the braces. Those braces are cutted in such a way that it will provide adequate support as well as it will help in free movement of air inside the enclosure, on the topping the edges of braces are rounded off to minimize any kind of turbulence noise inside enclosure.
View attachment 48087

Next photo is of front where drivers will be mounted, all drivers will be mounted with L N bolt and a T nut. & Below this photo you can see the ring. This ring will be glued on the backside of the front where the woofer will be mounted for extra support.
View attachment 48090
View attachment 48091

Now the assembly works starts. Forgive me i did not take many pictures throughout the built journey. In below photo bracing assembly starts. This brace will also provide support for the compression driver (I will call it “CD” in short) too. You can see the round at the bottom, that round will support the magnet of CD. Yes the Diameter of Magnet is almost 8 inch and it weight around 7 Kg.

View attachment 48092

In below photo you can see the mid chambers are glued with the front.
View attachment 48093

Now the front is being glued with the side wall. The ring is also been glued on its place. Then the braces will be glued after that another side wall will be glued then Top, after that back & in the end bottom.
View attachment 48094
View attachment 48096
View attachment 48097

Do not dare to point out my tummy.... lol. In below pic you can see me as well as the other side wall being glued.
View attachment 48098
View attachment 48099

I don't have clamps which are longer than 36 inch so i had to do some desi jugaad for clamping the top wall. I am not explaining the jugaad you can get the idea after having a look on the below photos.
View attachment 48100
View attachment 48101

But then i learned a new trick to extend the clamps someone guided me in a right direction and i picked it up. You can view it in the below video.

This is the Progress till date. I will keep on updating as the journey moves ahead.

Awesome Sadik.
Your builds are always a treat to watch and learn. :)

Update.
Yesterday assembled the top wall of the Second Enclosure, During the assembly of top in first enclosure i had made desi jugaad, but for this one i had already mentioned another way to extend clamps in the first post. A total of 10 Clamps ( 24 Inch Medium Duty IRWIN) & 2 Clamps of (36 Inch Heavy Duty IRWIN ) were used to make 6 Nos Long clamps. Enjoy the Below Photos.IMG-20200805-WA0014.jpg

In the below photo a nut & bolt can be seen which was used to hold both clamps together.
IMG-20200805-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20200805-WA0017.jpg

Now assembly of back & bottom is pending for both Enclosures. Before assembling these both walls, I need to first make the chamber on back which will have cross-over fitted inside it.

Apart from the enclosures i am crazy for my collection of tools also and with each built i keep updating my tools so the latest update is a Plunge attachment for my Makita router and a Tool Box. Below is some treat for your eyes.

Plunge Attachment
IMG_20200802_170830.jpg

IMG_20200802_170836.jpg

IMG_20200802_171041.jpg

Toolbox
IMG_20200802_171437.jpg

IMG_20200802_171419.jpg

Sadik.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back