€2k Metrum Onyx and a ₹4k DVD player DAC sounding the same!

I got a chance to compare Samsung internal DAC, with Onyx, Denafrips Terminator and Topping D50. Honestly, I was still struggling to notice any difference. If at all may be very minor. Not a night/day difference.

When comparing Samsung transport vs Esoteric. I did feel that the Esoteric CD player (via Optical) sounded a bit better than the Samsung (via Coax). The Esoteric and the Onyx are both 50x the price of the Samsung.

The Exposure amp made a more noticeable difference in my setup. Exposure added clarity, separation and a bit more soundstage. But I feel that the clarity could get fatiguing after some time. It would be great to have the sweetness of the tubes with better separation and improved soundstage of the Exposure.

For now I'll stay with the Topping.
So the culprit is the amp??? Sorry, but am just trying to understand better. Your current amp is the topping? Topping makes tube amps?

I got a chance to compare Samsung internal DAC, with Onyx, Denafrips Terminator and Topping D50. Honestly, I was still struggling to notice any difference. If at all may be very minor. Not a night/day difference.

When comparing Samsung transport vs Esoteric. I did feel that the Esoteric CD player (via Optical) sounded a bit better than the Samsung (via Coax). The Esoteric and the Onyx are both 50x the price of the Samsung.

The Exposure amp made a more noticeable difference in my setup. Exposure added clarity, separation and a bit more soundstage. But I feel that the clarity could get fatiguing after some time. It would be great to have the sweetness of the tubes with better separation and improved soundstage of the Exposure.

For now I'll stay with the Topping.

DACs are very small of a difference as it's all about subtle sound signatures but once you get to like a particular sound signature, it's difficult to change even if other dac is superior. I have same kind of experience with chord qutest that I could not like more than my current dac though it was superior. Enjoy what you like. Also for future whenever you like to go for a dac upgrade, my advice is to listen to a new dac for at least couple of weeks before deciding.

As some of the others have said, you have got into a nice sweet spot, so now is the time to stop comparing and enjoy the music.
If the difference from the the esoteric is not that high then you may have achieved an end state system and also peace of mind about the system .. just enjoy it.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back