1 speaker ,2 amps

jaudere

hello friends. What i am going to ask is likely to sound stupid and i many of you will laugh but please answer my question. Is it possible to drive single speaker by 2 amps simultaneously? The story goes like this. I have built a 3 way open baffle pair. In some songs , i find it to be lacking in bass dept. I dont like the sound if i increase the bass setting of my avr. So i want to give bass out to my second amp and drive the speakers(those which are connected to low freq terminal of the crossover) through the second amp . By doing this i hope to get better bass output without adding an extra driver. So the bass drivers will get signals from avr (200-800hz) &sub amp(<200 hz) simultaneously. The problem is that i dont know whether this is possible even theoretically. The sound source will be same. so speakers wont be damaged by distortion. But what will happen to the amp. i mean what will happen to the impedance if the same voice coil is simultaneously connected to 2 amps ? Thanks in advance.

It is not a stupid question. What you are trying to do is in the domain of "active crossover". Each driver is connected to a different amp though and no two amps are connected to the same driver.
The crossover is not built into the speaker. An Active Crossover is fed from pre-amp, it splits the signal into hf, mf, lf (or as many ways you want to split it - 2way, 3way, 4way) and that signal is fed to power amps. Each power amp is then connected to drivers.
Behringer dcx2496 is one of the budget good digital active crossover.

regards

It is not a stupid question. What you are trying to do is in the domain of "active crossover". Each driver is connected to a different amp though and no two amps are connected to the same driver.
The crossover is not built into the speaker. An Active Crossover is fed from pre-amp, it splits the signal into hf, mf, lf (or as many ways you want to split it - 2way, 3way, 4way) and that signal is fed to power amps. Each power amp is then connected to drivers.
Behringer dcx2496 is one of the budget good digital active crossover.

regards
So does it mean that what
I was planning was bi amping?

if your pre amp has 2 pre outs u cud bi-amp , or if you are using an integrated amp with preout u cud connect a power amp to the pre out of the integrated 2 drive the lows and the integrated to drive the highs (horizontal bi-amp) ---------with biamping u cud play very loud /clear

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back